Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • antur stiniog……….hardtail?
  • ton

dont really know why i am asking, bored probably.
    only got a 456 for gravity adventures now, and over the years i have probably ridden down stuff as steep/long/rocky as the trails at antur stiniog.
    so assure me i wont die if i go on my 456.
    and does anyone off here, or has anyone on here seen anyone riding it on a hardtail.

Stevelol
    Free Member

You…. will most definitely die 😀

Or not.

kayak23

I had a day there a few weeks back on my trusty Prince Albert so can say with some authority that anyone riding it on a full suspension bicycle is a big nancy jayer… 😉

Yeah, its wicked on a hardtail, perfect tracks for it. However, dual-ply tyres and dh tubes are your friend.

I took a crappy Crossmark single ply down the black run and got five pinch flats……at once.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You will not die. The frame, however…..!
    😉

wl
    Free Member

Just watched the vid on their homepage and it looks perfect for a hardtail – long stretches of very smooth looking trail punctuated by short sections of what look like fairly flat, embedded rocks. Some bits looked almost tarmac smooth. Is it basically like a trail centre with longer descents? Is there some steep, techy or really rough stuff as well?

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I rode it two weeks ago, on a 140mm full sus , there was a guy with a hard tail and he said it was ok if a bit hard going in Places , the daunting thing is almost everyone is on full downhill rigs with full face lids and body armour and you feel a bit out gunned but after a while and 3/4 sessions I loved the place and will def return .

beicmynydd
    Free Member

A Hardtail should be OK for the Blue run, for more info see a new article on pink bike below

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Antur-Stiniog-The-Community-Bike-Park.html

Have fun

kayak23

Some bits looked almost tarmac smooth. Is it basically like a trail centre with longer descents?

The videos really do tend to flatten everything out. Its really not THAT smooth, certainly not tarmac smooth.
    There is a fantastic bit in the middle which is the smoothest bit I guess with a couple of nice jumps, before and after that it can be pretty rough. The rocks do have some big sized holes in them so can take a bit of threading through.

Its not quite as rough as Gethin rock-garden, and not quite as smooth as Silverstone… 😀

richardkennerley

Sorry to ressurrect an old post, but I’d be interested to hear how you got on, or any more up to date reports from anyone that’s been more recently?

I’m planning on going on my hardtail (Ragley Piglet) as it’s my only bike. Planning on sticking to the blue only, maaaaaaybe a run on the red if I’m feeling brave/stupid. Am I going to look like an out of place knob there on my own!?

Thought I’d invest in a full face as I’m sure I can get the use out of it before I retire from riding. Any advice/warnings greatly appreciated!

scruff
    Free Member

It’ll be fine but put heavy tyres and tubes on if you can.

Junkyard
    Free Member

when you going ton I fancy a trip there e -mail me please

philfive
    Free Member

Just watched the vid on their homepage and it looks perfect for a hardtail – long stretches of very smooth looking trail punctuated by short sections of what look like fairly flat, embedded rocks. Some bits looked almost tarmac smooth. Is it basically like a trail centre with longer descents? Is there some steep, techy or really rough stuff as well?

you haven’t been i take it?, it is very very rough but doable on a Hardtail.

st

A beefed up hard tail should be fine. Back in December the double black pirate line was closed due too ice but the single black one was open and it had some nadgery bits that made me glad if having extra travel but other than that you won’t waste your day there. The pump track would also be more fun for pumping and that on a hard tail.

philfive
    Free Member

Junkyard

I’m off there on good friday, there are loads of places left.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes but I like ton where as you are a **** 😉

Cheers will look into it

wrecker
    Free Member

One of our group did the blue, red and black on a racey carbon 29er with 80mm forks. He’s not hugely experienced either.
    C456 should be no bother.

philfive
    Free Member

I’m crying here junkyard 🙁

mmel
    Free Member

My Piglet at Antur last September. Absolutely fine on blue and Red, and I managed some of the black. Great place run by great people, you’ll have a blast!

My only advice is to run tubeless if you can, pinch flats are pain in the arse!

richardkennerley

Cheers for the replies. Nice looking little piggy there fella, gonna get this booked ASAP now!

Don’t think my rims are tubeless compatible, but I’ve been looking at new tyres anyway. Was planning on getting Hans Dampfs (front and rear for £55 from bikediscout.de) and some hefty tubes.

Vortexracing

Junkyard, we will be having a trip there in the near future if you fancy coming along. Ton was on about going last year when we did the revolution bike park.

ton

Dave, let me know when please mate.
    never got off last year for one reason or another.

Vortexracing

will do buddy

Northwind

Heading down in April… What one bike and tyres for Coed y Brenin, Antur Stiniog and the Ranger’s path? 😆

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

What one bike and tyres for Coed y Brenin, Antur Stiniog and the Ranger’s path?

Big ones. 🙂

cy

Bike – The one you own.
    Tyres – Thick, heavy, fat ones (tubeless rear if possible)

Couple of the lads were on HT’s when we went to Stiniog and had a right laugh. Blue runs in particular are just flowy jumpy fun. Plenty of opt ins to keep you interested.

Northwind

cy – Member

Bike – The one you own.

It’s comments like that which cause first world problems, you heartless beast!

RustyNissanPrairie

Just back from a day there in the pissing down rain. Rode the Red & Blue, bit cut up in places but fine on a 140mm Evil Sov & and a mate on a 140mm Bluepig. As per above – most intimidating thing about about it is everyone on DH bikes and fully looking out of place on the only hardtails there.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I rode all the runs including both blacks on my Blue Pig first day there, and I’ve virtually no experience of rocky stuff as live in the SE. As long as you’ve got a decent front fork I don’t see what the problem is. Did use Spd’s though otherwise feet would be rattled off the peddles.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I really want to head here on my newly built Dialled Alpine MK3.

Hope I don’t die.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Someone once did on HT. No idea if they or you will die. Maybe just give it a go…

passtherizla
    Free Member

Was there today, 2 guys were riding on HTs evil sov and a racket something or other… They didn’t die.

Place is ace fun.

tomhoward

Holy thread resurrection batman!

Ton, did you die?

RobHilton
    Free Member

2 guys were riding on HTs evil sov and a racket something or other… They didn’t die.

They also took one look at the black and thought better of it 🙂

Very wise of them I reckon…

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’m going in 5 weeks and at least one of us will be on a ht. I can guarantee that he will be moaning all day long. He is one of those soft northern types.

RustyNissanPrairie

Rob Hilton – Member
    2 guys were riding on HTs evil sov and a racket something or other… They didn’t die.
    They also took one look at the black and thought better of it

That was me! The black was doable-allbeit trials like I reckon but my mate on the Ragley Bluepig wasnt up for it. Kinda not the point bumbling down stuff we so we stuck to the red&blues but with the black section back to the trailer pickup point from the bridge.

patriotpro
    Free Member

[/quote]He is one of those soft northern types.

S a good job we love him 😉

Northwind

One of our lot was on a C456, and far from the slowest rider there… I’d be happy riding any of it on my ragley, apart from the wall thing at the end of the black, fahhhhhhoooooooooookkk that.

passtherizla
    Free Member

RustyNissanPrairie – Member
    Rob Hilton – Member
    They also took one look at the black and thought better of it

That was me! The black was doable-allbeit trials like I reckon but my mate on the Ragley Bluepig wasnt up for it. Kinda not the point bumbling down stuff we so we stuck to the red&blues but with the black section back to the trailer pickup point from the bridge.

We met…. I was having a ‘break’ and you came and asked me if it was doable on a HT… your mate was looking at my rocket…I do a fair amount of lurking for info on here.

[/url]
    Untitled by passtherizla, on Flickr[/img]

Stevelol
    Free Member

Uhoh what happened to your rocket?!

passtherizla
    Free Member

nothing its fine… just a sticker.

had a OTB up Kinver resulted in this… just posted the pic because I was talking to the rustynissanprairie about it. Has been replaced and cotic couldnt have been more helpful.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘antur stiniog……….hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.