Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anthem X 29 vs Trance X 29?
  • Kryton57

Has anyone done this (before I do)?

I’m interested in the former as a race/xc event machine, but also the latter because I can only have one bike and I’d like it to be a good laugh not a compromise on forest singletrack & trail centres. I was focused on a Canyon Lux until this months STW review.

Which of than Giants is the best compromise for 50/50 events/everyday bike?

cp

I would say the Anthem, it gets rave reviews as a very capable ‘do it all’ bike.

Tis what I did, though it’s still in the ‘build phase’.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Were I in the market right now the Trance is the benchmark. Though the 650b SX for me.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

In the same situation Kryton.

Had a “chance” demo of an anthem at Peaslake 18 months ago and couldn’t stop smiling for an hour afterwards. A year later, I was still thinking about whether to have more of a trails bike so demoed both over a long weekend.

I rode both on (1) typical Peaslake/Winterfold day (all of pitch hill, Evian, 3 amigos and over to Holmbury for YP, the long one in the middle and then finally a blast down Barry’s) and (2) a 3 hours XC blast around devils Punchbowl, Hankley etc.

I enjoyed riding them both in each circumstance. But the Trance was noticeably more fun to push down runs like 3 amigos and Evian. Part of that may have been the tyres as it was damp and the Ralph’s on the anthem were much less grippy on the Pitch hill roots. I so enjoyed the trance so much that I nipped up Radnor lane a second time to test it’s climbing ability – not bad at all. So Trance 9, Anthem 8

The surprise was in the longer runs with plenty of steady climbing. I expected the anthem to win this hands down, but actually little difference for me. The Trance did not feel heavy or much slower. So Trance 9, Anthem 9.

So bloody hard to chose – and then giant come out with 29ers are not that good really stuff so put off my purchase. I am convinced that 29ers suit me so I am now in exactly the same position but with Spesh in the mix:

Anthem/epic v camber evo

I love all three! Plus now tempted by sale 2013 advanced XTC 29 HT for a whippet/Xc bike

As an allrounder I would probably chose the anthem just (only for doing a few races) but will probably by the evo (confused, moi?) The epic is too much money for me (£4k) but the best bike I have ever ridden by a mile. But tempted by XTC advanced now and then pick up camber evo in the sale. But two bikes is an extravagance IME !!!! Did I really say that?

Blimey, sorry for the ramble. Today I am camber evo, tomorrow the anthem. 2014 anthem in black looks v nice. 2014 T29 looks horrible (1 version) IMO

Kryton57

Bloody hell teamhurtmore thanks for that. I’ve looked at the camber evo too but I’m swaying toward giant because of the price and the additions I have with the simple done well aspet of the (road) defy I have which seems to reflect on the mtbs.

I’m in agreement with the colour schemes. Fwiw I’m in the opposite dilemma of using my asr5 for FS racing – pumped up hard – which is then obviously later a demon on the trails but I need to seek it to find the giant

I’m 5’11 so perhaps I should look at thier 650bs…

Kryton57

Wow – the trance 27.5 2 looks stunning. If it was 120mm I’d have bought it now. An the anthem not so good in blue and 100mm grrrr

Someone please tell me it weighs 34lbs so it’s too heavy ..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If 650 suits you, I would go with giant. The SX looks better in the flesh than on the web. But judging by your comments the normal trance may be the best option.

Anthem advanced 2 looks brilliant in the flesh!!!!!

oldnick

Is the rear suspension on the 29ers less of a mud magnet than on the 26″ Carbon Anthem I’ve got?

benji
    Free Member

No the Anthem is a mud magnet, especially with a front mech and triple, it just piles in there, figure the trance will be the same, nothing seems to clear mud like a hardtail.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Might as well throw my hat knot the ring, I’ve had an Anthem 29 X1 since feb/march last year, I’ve done nearly 3000km on it (didn’t ride it over winter) and it’s one helluva bike. I came from a 130mm travel 26″ trail bike and the Anthem beats it (a Nicolai Helius CC) hands down at everything from twisty woodland single track to all day XC epics and trail centre bashing.

It’s such a capable bike, add a dropper and it’s daft what you can ride, what with it being an ‘XC’ bike ‘n all that.

My mate fitted 120mm SIDS to his for that extra bit of boing – he’s an alpine guide – and had nothing but good words to say about it.

Kryton57

oldnick – Member
    … mud magnet…

benji – Member
    No the Anthem is a mud magnet…

Sigh, and so with my locale being the Epping forest its probably not the best choice for 9 months of the year.

Just when I thought…

u02sgb
    Free Member

Own a 26″ Anthem, been using my Brothers 29er Anthem for the last month to try it out. I’ve bought a Trance 29er frame that’s currently being built up.

The Trance is (hopefully) less of a mud magnet as there’s only one rear spar not one either side of the wheel. Besides I’m not sure there’s a full sus that’s not a mud magnet. Been thinking about putting a muddy nuts guard on the back to keep it off the front derailleur/chainrings. Went for the Trance as my mates are getting into bigger bikes (140mm 29ers) and I wanted to be able to keep up but the Anthem was great fun. Been bikepacking with it (like all 29ers not much clearance for a saddlebag!), trail centres and round Mugdock. I think the Anthem won the WMB trail bike of the year, it’s very capable. Would be surprised if Giant discontinue the 29er Anthem (29ers seem to fit in well with the race/marathon purpose of the bike). Not so sure on the 29er Trance as they seem to be wanting to increase the travel to make it more “enduro”. I think with the 29er wheels that’s a difficult thing to do without raising the front end too much.

Anyway I’m putting a Pike on the front end and reducing the travel to 120. Can’t wait to get out on it although it’ll be a month or two yet before I’ve got all the bits.

If you’re interested Pauls Cycles still has some of the 2013 Anthems and Trances. I’ve not read anything that suggests they’ve changed 2013-2014 and as they seem to be moving to 27.5 I’d be surprised. Some good deals there.

Stu.

<edit> gutted they seem to have reduced the 29er Trance frame to 699 at Pauls cycles! Fantastic deal if you’re looking to build one up and means you’re getting a “normal” tapered headset/fork – the retail bikes have Giant’s “overdrive” with an odd steerer size.</edit>

onewheelgood

I’ve had a 26″ Anthem for ages. Awesome do-it-all bike, and only very occasionally loses out to something with more travel. The only fault was a bit of nervousness on steep stuff. Then I stuck 120mm SIDS on it, and it’s perfect. It feels like it should have had them on from the start.

u02sgb
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve got 120mm F120s and a 70mm stem on my 26″ Anthem, definitely makes it a bit less XC. Only changing as my mates are getting into bigger bikes and I’m 29er curious.

pipiom
    Free Member

Had both and if you’re taller than average its Trance all the way…..did Ratrace and IOM E2E on Trance plus many more and it never missed a beat…..geometry spot on for the nadgery
    Stuff too….. Mine is/was the X29er0 the anthem was the X1 both great but I always felt a bit far forward on it in an OTB stylee…..weight difference negligible …..hope this helps

Kryton57

Hmm now see, my problem with buying a 120mm trance – frame or otherwise – is that I’m paying for a bike that’s virtually the same as my ASR5 but with bigger wheels – right?

I guess my original question is aimed at asking that, although the 100mm Anthem would undoubtedly be a good race bike, would it give me back the same as the ASR5 in the social riding stakes? FWIW, my ASR is 2012 XT 2×10, carbon Thompson and I have Crests on Hopesw/RRaplhs for racing, and also race with more PSI in the adjusted-for-platform shock so what lose in wheel size I do gain in weight reduction.

And then again, my locale is tight twisty single track and I am average height no more (5’11), so perhaps 650b is the right compromise to replace the ASR5 all told.

richardthird

Interesting to hear good tales of 26″ Anths with 120mm. Just what I am considering right now…

Kryton57

richardthird – Member
    Interesting to hear good tales of 26″ Anths with 120mm. Just what I am considering right now…

Good point actually, no reason I too HAVE to go 29.

richardthird

Here’s why I bought 26″ Anthem (I did look at new 650b’s as well)

1. Hardly any different to 650b
    2. Last years stock for discount/value on spec
    3. Lighter
    4. Gearing works better for 1×10
    5. Tyres interchangeable with my 26″ HT
    6. More accessories or upgrade parts & cheaper

angeldust
    Free Member

Sorry for the tread resurrection…

OP – What was it about the mag review that put you off the lux?

Kryton57

angeldust – Member

OP – What was it about the mag review that put you off the lux?

The fact that the stated is was tight and skippy – aka race type suspension, as opposed to the more comfortable Giants.

Don’t get me wrong, if I could afford two FS’s I’d buy the Lux for racing right now, and keep my yeti for fun stuff. But money aside that’s also contradictory with regards familiarity so for both reasons I want one bike only.

At the weekend I put my race wheels in the ASR and weighed it 26.5lb vs 24lb for my HT so those’ll have to do.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anthem X 29 vs Trance X 29?’ is closed to new replies.