Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Another "would you buy a cat c car" thread
  • aka_Gilo
    Free Member

We recently bought a nearly new Ford Galaxy as the family car. My wife now wants to get a Ford Ka for running around town – an extravagence as we don't really need two cars (live centrally, both walk to work, kids walk to school etc) but she's always wanted a Ka and the Galaxy is a bit overkill for town use.

So we've been looking at s/h Kas in the £1-2k range, <£1,500 preferred. We've seen some real sh*te for silly money, then the 5th or 6th one we saw was miles better than the rest – a 51 plate with 54k miles on, up for £1,495 (private sale). Gave it a good inspection, nothing obviously wrong, all colour matched, all panels fitting correctly etc, took it for a test drive and it was far better than the rest we tested, felt realy together and a fair bit younger than it's actual age. Got back, offered £1,400 which was accepted.

Left £100 cash deposit, got home, ran HPI check – b*llocks – cat c write off. Rang seller, he was gutted (initially suspected an act and he knew all along, but subsequent conversations have made me think he may be genuine). He immediately offered the deposit back which we picked up yesterday. He's since spoken to previous owner who said it was a front end shunt, with bonnet, bumper, and a wing replaced, radiator not touched.

Looked at a few more since in same price range but all sh*te, this one really stands out as being a good car (except for cat c history), has 12 months MOT too.

Soooo rang seller said I may be interested at the right price, but he won't drop below £1,350. I reckon if I wait a day or so I could get him down to £1,300, but no less.

Resale is not an issue as we'll keep it til it's either scrap or only worth a few £100.

£1,350 is slightly overpriced but still seems a decent buy compared with the tat out there at this sort of price.

Wos reckon? Worth a punt?

steveh

A cat c car will normally be worth and 65-75% of a normal one of the same age/mileage/condition. If it's not that range walk and get another, ka's aren't rare so you'll find another good one.

MrGreedy

the 5th or 6th one we saw was miles better than the rest – a 51 plate with 54k miles on, up for £1,495

A cat c car will normally be worth and 65-75% of a normal one of the same age/mileage/condition

Sounds to me like the seller knew it was a write-off. Give him your offer, and tell him to take it or leave it. Plenty of other cars out there.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Unless i could see the original damage to the vehicle, and then could trust whoever repaired it, i wouldnt touch it.

sofatester
    Free Member

It's a Ford not a Ferrari – Walk away.

As MrGreedy said, there are plenty of them around.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Another "would you buy a cat c car" thread’ is closed to new replies.