Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Another strava oddity – Road vs MTB
  • alfabus
    Free Member

Trails which run alongside roads…. is there any way of preventing roadies from taking the KOM by blatting along the tarmac, rather than winding their way through the trees on a quality bit of singletrack 20 metres away?

I just created this segment (now that the creation problems are solved!). I didn’t register a great time that day because I was on a ride with some friends, but the KOM has been taken by someone on the road next to it!

http://app.strava.com/segments/1327640

Can I make the segment only apply to mountain bikes? I can’t see anything that would let me do it.

Dave

theflatboy
    Free Member

probably more governed by GPS accuracy than anything manual?

wwaswas

you can challenge any time posted.

maybe just police it and see what happens?

I didn’t register a great time that day because I was on a ride with some friends

get your excuses in early 😉

alfabus
    Free Member

get your excuses in early

did i mention that it was also very very muddy, and raining and I hadn’t slept very well 😉

wwaswas

I’ve taken to making it very clear when I’ve been riding singletrack on my cross bike in case it looks like I’ve been even more mincey than normal 🙂

mcboo
    Free Member

Do you care?

tracknicko
    Free Member

and mountainbikers take th pish out of roadies for being too serious eh?

alfabus
    Free Member

you can challenge any time posted.

It looks like the roadie’s GPS was a bit off, hence the match. I’ve raised a support ticket to get it unmatched (it says to do this on the support pages)

Do you care?

Well… yes. Strava is a system that lets you record times against sections of your ride so you can race your friends (and neighbours) even when they’re not there – so having an erroenous time at the top of the leaderboard is bad.

Dave

tracknicko
    Free Member

totally. and if you can’t beat em…

errr.

raise a support ticket and have their times removed!

greeble
    Free Member

make a new segment!

alfabus
    Free Member

tracknicko – Member
    totally. and if you can’t beat em…

errr.

raise a support ticket and have their times removed!

verses

You could extend the segment so that it continues where you cross the road and head back into the trails, that way it’d be less likely to match people who are only on the road, eg…

Not perfect, but should work…

alfabus
    Free Member

nice idea, but people don’t always go that way, there are a couple of different routes away from that junction.

I don’t think its goign to match everyone going down the road (as evidence by the fact that only 1 has matched), just that guy’s GPS was reading quite far off his actual track.

Not a huge deal, just would be nice to be able to aim for the top slot and not have it blocked by someone who wasn’t even aware there was a trail there.

Dave

trail_rat
    Free Member

whats the difference in speed ?

i had one challenged because i was 10kph faster than the previous top spot on the trail (with no paralel roads)

what the numpty didnt realise was i was actually on a cross bike !

tracknicko
    Free Member

ha ha, i like the suggestions that you have actually been beaten that seem to be creeping in here!

why not just get a road bike and win it on the road too? admittedly it’s not what you want. but you can be a true king of that mountain rather than a king of a sub mountain by the side of the actual mountain.

wwaswas

They should give out a Lantern Rouge award to the slowest rider on each segment.

tracknicko
    Free Member

I had the slowest time on frogatt for 13 months after a delightful stop off at the grouse…

alfabus
    Free Member

whats the difference in speed ?

double the speed of the fastest MTB (40kph vs 20kph) – smooth tarmac downhill, versus undulating singltrack with some fairly techy bits…

The guy who did the 20kph is damn quick and must have been going for it that day. I’d like him to be top, so I can aim to beat him!

Dave

mudshark
    Free Member

You think that’s bad – the top guy on this section of Boxhill seems to be going down hill on the road above; the tight switchback seems to be the problem.

http://app.strava.com/segments/713142

They should give out a Lantern Rouge award to the slowest rider on each segment.

I had the slowest time by far on a climb with a dip for a while – only because my mate crashed in the dip though…had to go back to remove my shame.

wwaswas

I’m not surprised have you seent he gps tracks for the ride he got it on?

http://app.strava.com/rides/1047625#18456440

alex222
    Free Member

KOM? its not even 200m above sea level.

tracknicko
    Free Member

Hang on… It’s downhill???

YOU CAN’T HAVE A KING OF A DOWNHILL MOUNTAIN!!!!

GNAAARRRRRRRRRR

stupid segmentising of everything!

mudshark
    Free Member

They also have QOMs – for the ladies apparently much to my mincing mate’s annoyance.

trail_rat
    Free Member

unless we were using it to time a downhill race 😉

should be called something else if the % grad is below a level….

does make for good racing on timed downhill mtbing though !

tracknicko
    Free Member

yeh but as has been pointed out by strava themseleves.. it aint that accurate (75% hill thing for example)

i suppose i’ll let it off for DH courses, but general segmenting of bits of an xc loop is surely not what it’s for!

trail_rat
    Free Member

but then i have to ask “why ever not”

wwaswas

general segmenting of bits of an xc loop is surely not what it’s for!

don’t look at the segments for Stanmer Park near Brighton then. Every inch of singletrack has its own name and segment. Even the fireroads!

tracknicko
    Free Member

i’ve yet to think of a good reason for an answer.

it irks me for some reason.

i think it’s a bit of the old ‘you shouldn’t race down footpaths/bridelways etc.’

and then…

knowing that gps’s don’t trace that well, and off road you can cut all sorts of corners and stuff.

and just generally not being happy about the use of the phrase KOM for someone pootling DOWN a bridleway.

alfabus
    Free Member

tracknicko – Member
    Hang on… It’s downhill???

YOU CAN’T HAVE A KING OF A DOWNHILL MOUNTAIN!!!!

GNAAARRRRRRRRRR

stupid segmentising of everything!

🙄 <sigh> Why have you joined a discussion about strava if you have absolutely no idea about how it works, or what it is for?

KOM/QOM is what strava call anyone who is first for a segment, regardless of gradient.

trail_rat
    Free Member

shouldnt race on the roads either though …..

its not a race – its a time trial – your racing the clock 😉

alex222
    Free Member

but then i have to ask “why ever not”

right here

don’t look at the segments for Stanmer Park near Brighton then. Every inch of singletrack has its own name and segment. Even the fireroads!

😆

wwaswas

Ah well, you’re ok at Stanmer re: the racing on a bridleway thing, it’s 90% cheeky trails.

tracknicko
    Free Member

alfabus. do i need to respond? or are you up to speed now?

alfabus
    Free Member

sorry, answer was a bit slow. I got distracted by some work 😉

tracknicko
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

shouldnt race on the roads either though …..

its not a race – its a time trial – your racing the clock

which is another reason KOM should be the traditional UP the mountain job.

rare for folks ‘racing’ up hill to lose control and bin it.

atlaz
    Free Member

It should allow you to filter based on the type of bike (as you set mountain, road etc) or have a new setting for the type of ride so you can check against others.

That said, there are trails where there’s easy options where you can never keep up. There’s people I know have good times on the run down from Leith Hill to Westcott via the bridleway rather than the little trail alongside but the times look the same. Can’t really prevent that and in any case life’s too short.

tracknicko
    Free Member

alfabus – Member

sorry, answer was a bit slow. I got distracted by some work

the one benefit of finite element modeling as a ‘job’…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Testers loose control with regularity ime !

tracknicko
    Free Member

uphill time trials are rarely won by sterotypical testers.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Another strava oddity – Road vs MTB’ is closed to new replies.