Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Another nice OneUp thing…
  • Northwind

Just got some useful spam from OneUp, they’ve added a RADr cage to their range which is basically just a doublesided RAD cage- so can convert a shortcage mech whereas the old RAD cage is medium cage only. Not on general release yet but will be $55. Could revitalise broken mechs or make failed 1×10 setups work better. The RAD cage is pretty nifty so this seems like a nice addition

(it’s also a slightly shorter cage than a Shimano medium)

gardron
    Free Member

You always could convert a short cage by just slinging an XT/SLX/XTR replacement cage on to it, which is I’ve done on a saint. Nice of them to package it as it’s a bit of a pain getting stock of the replacement cages though.

Northwind

Yup, exactly- though this gives the 1×10 benefits too. I think mostly it’s good news for people who tried to make a range extender work with a zee mech and failed tbh but I might stick one on my Saint just to get it back in use

gardron
    Free Member

Hmm, now that I’m seeing info, it’s actually a shorter cage than the mediums as well, so between an XT medium and a saint / zee. That’s suddenly becoming interesting now.

AlexSimon

Sounds good.
    A full OneUp setup will be going on my new-build.

AlexSimon
    dbcooper
    Free Member

Dumb q, can you not run a small cage on 1×10 with a 30 front and 42 rear?

Northwind

OneUp only recommend 40T with a small cage, and even then only with some bike designs (it can’t cope with much chain growth). It can work but it’s all a bit marginal. TBH I think the medium cage can be pretty useful, it takes up chainslack better and isn’t working on its limits.

(Shimano short cage is short. Can be restrictive on some bikes even with normal cassettes, I had my Saint right on its limits with an 11-28. Which is fine, it’s well designed for the job it’s supposed to do but it doesn’t like being asked to do anything else)

dbcooper
    Free Member

OK cheers for the advice.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Dumb q, can you not run a small cage on 1×10 with a 30 front and 42 rear?

No, as above. The size of the front doesn’t actually come into it when you only have a single on the front, its just the difference between largest and smallest on the back.

dbcooper
    Free Member

If you have the RD-M786 GS mech (this one) then you only need the Rad cage not the RADr?

AlexSimon

You can use either. The Radr looks like it’s a tad shorter, but for 20USD more, only you can decide if that’s what you prefer.

dbcooper
    Free Member

Ahh I get it, yes the RADr is shorter, going to go for that.

chiefgrooveguru

(Shimano short cage is short. Can be restrictive on some bikes even with normal cassettes, I had my Saint right on its limits with an 11-28. Which is fine, it’s well designed for the job it’s supposed to do but it doesn’t like being asked to do anything else)

I’ve found a Zee struggled with an 11-36 cassette on my Spitfire due to the chain growth (swapped it for a medium cage SLX) but it works brilliantly on my Soul with the exact same components but no suspension at the back.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered one along with a 40t extender to make the long cage mech I’ve got on the HT more suitable, went for black though as the green is a bit loud

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Interesting. I run a Zee FR with 11-40 on a Trance X. I like the sound of this. I presume it’s fine with 40T, even though the blurb aims it at 42T?

AlexSimon

I presume it’s fine with 40T, even though the blurb aims it at 42T?

Yes, it should just give you more leeway for chain growth.

dbcooper
    Free Member

OK So I have used CRC’s black friday code and ordered
    Zee shifter M640,
    XT m786mech,
    Xt M771 cassette,
    kmc x93 10 chain and a cable.
    And used oneups code to order a 42t +16t and the RADr. I already have a 30t NW chainring. Woop woop.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Thanks, AlexSimon. I emailed OneUp and they concur with you!

dudeofdoom

I love the radr thing … I turned a long cage xtr into a short cage by the original rad and a new back and it was dearer and less green….

I’ts good kit though 1x10s great and I so much want to use the discount code but I’m in a strange place as both bikes that I put it on got nicked last week and I’m sorta 🙁

proutster
    Free Member

Ordered one last night, with a voucher code it’s cost me £31.82.

As the (medium) cage on my current XT mech is a bit bent this looks like a good way to replace/improve.

Will report back once fitted.

Pity they’re not dispatching until 10th December…

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the benefit of using the 16t sprocket? The OneUp site says it replaces the 15t AND 17t, is that right? Doesnt that leave you with 1 x 9…

I’ve obviously missed something here!

pete68
    Free Member

Agentdagnamit, you’ll be adding the range expander though.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

So you loose your 15t and 17t , and gain a 42t (larger range) and 16t (to smooth out shifting) – is that right?

Looks like a good deal for £46.

You can get a Raceface Ride narrow wide chainset for under £100, and there are plenty of xt cassette + chain deals out there at the moment.

Looks like I can replace a worn 2×10 set up and go 1x for under £200.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I posted a Zee drivetrain PSA yesterday. Full drivetrain for less than £140.

neil853
    Free Member

Well I’ve just put an order in too, shifting was woeful with cassette extender on to the extent I took it off after one ride. Hope this solves the issue

pete68
    Free Member

My 1×10 shifting was also rubbish. Couldn’t get it to index with the 42 expander. Bought a RAD cage and now the shifting is perfect. Highly recommended.

Northwind

Setting mine up without the radcage was incredibly pernickity but I did get there in the end and it worked just as well as it does now with the radcage. But I figured, if the setup was so highly strung, it’d have no tolerance for stretchy cables, mud and imperfect mechhangers etc whereas with the radcage it all functions much like standard, very forgiving. Well worth it just for that

dbcooper
    Free Member

Mine has all arrived, just got to fit it now.

cooie

Mine has all arrived, just got to fit it now.

Did you get the Radr? Thought it wasn’t shipping until the 10th.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Setting mine up without the radcage was incredibly pernickity but I did get there in the end and it worked just as well as it does now with the radcage. But I figured, if the setup was so highly strung, it’d have no tolerance for stretchy cables, mud and imperfect mechhangers etc whereas with the radcage it all functions much like standard, very forgiving. Well worth it just for that

Very interesting point, my setup works fine but it took alot of fettling to get it to that point, and every cable change means going through it again (minus screws) so will be considering one soon I think, just not keen on ditching the lovely carbon cage on my new XTR mech! 8)

dbcooper
    Free Member

Yup got me a nice black Radr. Two sides of the cage, a bit shorter than the current mid cage on my xt mech.
    Quite excited now.

Markend
    Free Member

My Radr arrived yesterday as well – planning on fitting it later

cooie

My order arrived today too. Radr was a week early, nice 😀

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Expecting mine today.

dudeofdoom

Well sounds like I might have a few packages awaiting me @ home…

I went for the zee mech + shifter and a hope 40T extender thru the discount on
    CRC and the radr cage + their new NW ring with the birthday code.

I shouldn’t have but I’d like to see how well the zee works, had previously an xt and xtr setups 🙁 which worked very well.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

My Zee works really well on a Trance X. Now the Radr has arrived, I hope it will be perfect!

pugster007
    Free Member

Interested to know how you get on with converting the Zee Mech with RADr.

I fitted a RAD cage to my XT derailleur as per the OneUp instructions, using an allen key to remove the old inner cage – but I found that the allen key wont fit the Zee, it looks like the cage is pressed onto the body.

Anyone else found this ?

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Pugster – I followed the vid on One Up’s site and had no issues, unless you count ballsing up the spring replacement… The old inner cage comes away from the body of the mech with two 4mm allen keys, one either side. Make sure you have removed the clutch cover.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I did have a t-rex but went back to 2×10 for a holiday in the lakes (which resulted in no riding 🙄 )

Looking at going the Radr, n/w and extender from oneup but not sure whether to go 40t or 42t?

Is the change from the 36t onto the 42t as smooth as onto the 40t? Presume the Radr cage is the better of the two cage options? Will be going an an XT GS caged mech.

Cheers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Another nice OneUp thing…’ is closed to new replies.