Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Another IT help query
  • Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

My old computer has spat the dummy. Before it did I saved all documents, program files etc to an external hard drive and at the last minute did a file and settings transfer to the hard drive also. Have now got a new computer but cant figure out how or if I can get the old programs from the external HD to run on the new comp. I have tried using the file transfer wizard thingy but it says I have to connect to the old computer.

Any ideas?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I ain’t no computer whizz but I don’t think you can transfer programmes like that – you need the set up files or something. something to do with registry entries?

druidh
    Free Member

Wot TJ says. Programs need to be re-installed onto the new Operating System.

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, you need the original install executables to get the programs working on the new OS. It is possible to make programs work in the way you have described but you need the old registry, all the libraries (which will have been installed in a variety of places including the windows directory) and some serious effort.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Another IT help query’ is closed to new replies.