• This topic has 66 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by alanl.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Another bike stolen – where do they go to?
  • alanl
    Free Member

The OH had her town bike stolen this morning, left it outside her house, padlocked with a cable, cut through in seconds, and taken off in a van.
    It’s not expensive, a Norco Storm , but its a bike she likes.
    Where do these bikes go to?
    Exported was mooted once before.
    My Rock Lobster never surfaced, despite alerts set for FB/Ebay/guntree et al.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Based on what happens to cars in films:

Whole bikes chucked into containers and shipped far overseas.

Or

Components stripped and sold locally, frames dumped in landfill or exported…

Looking forward to the ebike version of gone in 60 seconds hitting the screens in a few years.

coatesy
    Free Member

I have a suspicion that a lot of them appear in another city, probably as part of a ring, borne out by a mate’s bike being stolen whilst we were in Bristol, and apparently re-appearing in Cardiff a week or so later (I say apparently, as his brother was describing the exact same bike that his scummy mate had just bought cheap. Needless to say, he clammed right up once he realised, and refused to talk any more).

trumpton
    Free Member

Bikes from bike shops go abroad in containers.second hand ones are probably just sold by junkies to their scummy mates or to unsuspecting people via gumtree etc.no doubt theres organised rings for high value none new bikes

argee

Wish i knew, i had two bikes nicked last July, have been searching the usual places every day, so daily checks on findthatbike.com, ebay, pinkbike, etc, as well as searching for the hard to find parts, not a sniff in 16 months.

I also check sites that might have unsuspecting buyers listing their new pride and joy, but nothing there either, i did get an email today from the police providing the data on the outcome of a juvenile court thing, but not a thing about the bikes since they were nicked.

mc
    Free Member

It pretty much depends on how much your bike is worth.

Bottom of the pile are opportunistic thefts, and are the bikes likely to be found by the police, as the thieves have no way to dispose of the bike. So they’ll likely be found for sale locally, or being ridden around your locality.

Next are your career thieves. They’ll target cheaper bikes which are easy to sell. If you flip 3 or 4 bikes for a hundred pound each everyday, you can make a good living.

Then you have your organised criminals. These are the ones who’ll know where you live, where you keep your bikes, and will simply bide their time for the right opportunity to get your bikes.
    They’ll target expensive bikes, and the bikes will likely never appear again in your locality, as they have distribution networks. Bikes will be either swapped around the country and sold using local ads, or moved abroad (there have been warehouses full off bikes found on the continent, some of which have been traced back to the UK), or stripped for parts. Anything deemed to be too high risk to sell, will just be dumped.

One major problem the police have with recovered bikes, is they can’t trace the original owners.
    If your bike was to be stolen, would you be able to give the police the frame and fork numbers, so that if it was to be recovered, you would get it back?

bigyellowmarin
    Free Member

@alanl.
    About that stolen lobstet, Do you live in the south east?

alanl
    Free Member

No, Leicester, it was a long time ago.
    I did buy another around a year later, but it wasnt the same, so I sold it.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

There was case few years back in Boredon Hampshire where the police caught a guy over something went to his lockup and found 60 bike frames all sorts been stripped for parts you name it road/mountain carbon Ti some very top end frames left no parts to be seen.

bigyellowmarin
    Free Member

Ah, ok.
    I saw a beaut in a police station compound. Reuniting it with its owner would have made my day.

isitafox
    Free Member

A lad had his bike nicked about 800m away from our farm this afternoon.
    16:30ish 3 lads pulled up in a Citreon C3 and held the lad up at knifepoint (he’s only 14) and had his Santa Cruz 5010 off him.
    Scares me as my 12yr old has just started going out with a friend on little loops after school, he’s only on a modded Trek hardtail but I wouldn’t want him to go through something like that with a friend or alone!

tails
    Free Member

I don’t often ride my nice bike alone but it does make me think should I be taking something, appreciate that’s terrible but can’t be getting robbed for my bike.

carlos
    Free Member

A lad had his bike nicked about 800m away from our farm this afternoon.
    16:30ish 3 lads pulled up in a Citreon C3 and held the lad up at knifepoint (he’s only 14) and had his Santa Cruz 5010 off him.
    Scares me as my 12yr old has just started going out with a friend on little loops after school, he’s only on a modded Trek hardtail but I wouldn’t want him to go through something like that with a friend or alone!

Saw that on FB last night. Proper shit for the lad

Can’t see him getting it back but hopefully the car will be spotted somewhere/traced. It had a quite distinctive LED bar on the front apparently

MrFart
    Free Member

There was a second hand shop near me in Rennes, France that often had bikes set up with the front brake on the right … dunno if they were nicked or just being sold by skint ‘expats’.

single07
    Free Member

the sunday flea market in Bucarest definately had a few of them…
    seemed they migh tbe mostly Danish in origin but still

molgrips
    Free Member

Word of mouth probably, or FB markeplace. There are loads of youths riding around on surprisingly expensive and niche bikes in Cardiff.

white101

Never gave this any thought before but on the storage site we keep the caravan on there are a number of shipping containers that cover the perimeter blocking prying eyes. 2-3 of the containers are not permanent (all the others are same colour and have livery) these are often open and are piled high with bikes, they’ve always looked like catalogue specials but ive never really had a look in.

jamezee

I don’t often ride my nice bike alone but it does make me think should I be taking something, appreciate that’s terrible but can’t be getting robbed for my bike.

Just tell them you’ve got a Sahmurai sword in your handlebars

moonsaballoon

I am literally sat here waiting for the police to ring about information i have just got about my bikes which were stolen 2 years ago . Yesterday someone posted a photo of a ride on the cotic owners facebook group which i instantly recognised as my bike , i messaged the guy and he sent me screenshots of the advert and conversation with the seller from facebook. I searched the sellers profile and and she was also selling my road bike which was stolen at the same time along with 2 other bikes .

My insurance has paid out and all bikes replaced but i’ve sent all the information to the police and i am hopeful that the fact she was selling 2 bikes from the same robbery at leasts warrants a knock at the door and some questions .

It seems to be a lot more organised now and the police seem to be aware of it as a targeted crime so make sure you keep an eye out on facebook groups and gumtree (mine were for sale on a facebook group for a town 20 miles away ) and get that info to the police .

stanfree
    Free Member

I’ve got a Giant defy up for sale on Gumtree and Fb , I mentioned I had bought it new from the Giant store in Bromley . 3 days later I’ve just dropped of my son at work and come back to my wife in the back garden with 2 strangers. It transpires they were from Drylaw in Embra CID an someone had said my bike had been stolen from london a few years previous.
    Now obviously by the time I came back they had pulled the bike out and checked the serial number and were very apologetic. When my wife had answered the door their opening gambit was ‘Were here about the stolen bike your selling’.
    I had a chat with them and said I was glad they took this kind of thing seriously as I have a couple of decent bikes that I would be devastated to lose. The detective said the biggest cause of big theft is down to people carrying expensive bikes on roof racks and being followed home.
    In Edinburgh there have been warehouses raided and also a friend of friend went round to a local ned to collect his high end bike and promptly filled his van with other peoples bikes obviously which were returned to the police.

muddylegs
    Free Member

Try Gumtree. I know someone who’s bikes appeared there. Info was past to the police but nothing happened.

BoardinBob

I searched the sellers profile and and she was also selling my road bike which was stolen at the same time along with 2 other bikes .

Seller’s name wouldn’t happen to be “Kaz”???

robbie
    Free Member

SAW a post on the transcontinental facebook page a while back that someone in Poland had noticed a bike local to him being advertised locally. He reckonised it as one that had been stolen from London a few months before.
    Was a high end gravel bike And still had all the ortlieb bikepacking bags fitted.
    Police are now warning that they are investigating a lot of house break ins just to get the high value bikes inside. Definitely some well organised gangs out there.

stanfree
    Free Member

Its hardly surprising when you think If someone followed someone home from say an enduro or and SDA downhill and broke into their garage there is a chance that there would maybe be another couple of decent bikes. Therefore thats maybe the best part of 10k to throw into a van. They dont have to hotwire anything , they dont have trackers like most cars through insurance these days . Throw into the mix Ebikes and its very lucrative. A friend had 4 bikes nicked after his sons race at Glencoe and his mate also had 2 bikes taken about 15 miles away .
    Stolen to order and followed home from a race.

RoterStern
    Free Member

It’s also a huge problem over here in Germany. I’d never had a bike stolen until I moved here ( including working as a bike courier in London for a few years) and so far we are up to 7 bikes! Two of mine one of Mrs RS and the rest belonging to my children but not cheap bikes. One bike I got back after seeing it being ridden past my house and giving chase and confronting the new owner.Got die Polizei involved and because I didn’t know the frame number it had to go to court. The rest have disappeared. Earlier this year there was a bit of a local scandal a a group of police officers had been selling compounded bikes on eBay. Again a lot of the bikes stolen are to fund drug habits but my bikes were definitely targeted and probably ended up in Poland/ Eastern Europe, just like the Multivan that was stolen.

arogers
    Free Member
    thols2

Police are now warning that they are investigating a lot of house break ins just to get the high value bikes inside. Definitely some well organised gangs out there.

It’s easy to reverse engineer how to go about it as a professional ring. You’d need someone who knows about bikes to identify valuable ones and trace where they are stored. That wouldn’t be too difficult, especially if they are locked up in public. Then pay a team of junkies or low-level crims to steal them to order, a battery powered angle grinder would take care of most locks pretty quickly. Then off to a lock-up to strip for parts. With a basic workshop, a bike could be dismantled and the parts boxed up in half an hour or so. Once that’s done, the frame is the only part that is very easy to identify. Shipping high-end stuff overseas would make it very difficult to recover, even if the owner could identify it, so you just need someone in Eastern Europe etc. to sell it online. Low-end stuff would just need to shipped to a different city, maybe swap a few bits around to make it look like a different bike. People buying a cheap commuter bike aren’t going to investigate whether it’s stolen or not.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I saw someone cycling past my front door on my bike which had been stolen a couple of months previously.
    I just took it back off them.

NormalMan

Summer of 2019 I had 8 bikes stolen (6 were mine plus 2 of my families bikes) plus all my tools, spares and kit. Some decent / some high end plus retro parts.

Never seen any of it come up on eBay / Gumtree despite alerts and checking.

The police, at the time, strongly hinted that
    I should be careful which LBS I use (a high end road bike had been in for full service 2 weeks before).
    I tried to find out if they meant someone was watching the shop or a staff member tipping people off but they wouldn’t give any more away, they just repeated the phrase.

Got incredibly let down by the insurance company too. Not a good time.

smokey_jo

Our lad had his bike nicked in London 3 weeks ago – it’s been for sale on Gumtree for 10 days or so now and the Police won’t do anything because he doesn’t have a frame number even though there are some rare identifiable parts on it that distinguish it easily.

They actually closed the case stating not enough evidence to investigate even though he sent a picture in of him with said bike with distinguishing features clearly visible.

easily
    Free Member

If the bike is on sale on gumtree why isn’t your lad arranging a meeting to ‘buy’ it?

smokey_jo

Would you go to Bethnal Green to buy a bike off a bike thief? Police actually warned him off doing so too saying he would be putting himself in harms way

NewRetroTom

smokey_jo I would consider arranging for a sturdy “friend” to collect the bike on his behalf.

richmtb

This thread seems like a timely reminder to write down the serial numbers of your frames and forks

smokey_jo

I think I would want at least a couple of sturdy mates in Bethnal Green, but yes Frame Numbers people – plod aren’t interested without them!

Bike in question if anyone’s interested – it’s going cheap too https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-vehicles/saracen-hack-2-2013-cx-bike/1390235400

steviep
    Free Member

I had two bikes stolen a few years ago and they were for sale on gumtree less than a week later 140 miles from home. After giving the police a lot of evidence the seller was arrested but unfortunately never charged, although some one did go to prison eventually. He was part of a massive bike theft network but also dealing heroin and crack.

footflaps

Good reminder, just ordered DataTag for a couple of my bikes!

tails
    Free Member

I tried to find out if they meant someone was watching the shop or a staff member tipping people off but they wouldn’t give any more away, they just repeated the phrase.

I thought that about high end cars, bloke I know bought an RS3 Audi and had it less than a week. I was wondering if someone at audi tipped them off.

Def worth meeting for the bike in London, If they look like a handful leave alone if not just take the bike.

tails
    Free Member

What’s a data tag? I thought why don’t we have have trackers on our bikes, if bbc nature can track a sparrow across Africa I’m sure we can make a bike tracker.

footflaps

What’s a data tag?

My frames are carbon, so the frame numbers are just on stickers rather than stamped in – hence can be easily removed.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/datatag-stealth-pro

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Another bike stolen – where do they go to?’ is closed to new replies.