Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Another Aldi post – what's hot and not right now?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Finally Harrogate has its own Aldi and I will be bobbing down to have a look-see very soon – what are the best things to try (wines, meats especially).

I am genuinely excited about this 😳

wilko1999
    Free Member

All I know is they have stopped selling the dark chocolate coated marzipan bars in our local store which I am really pissed off about. They were lush, and amazing fuel during a ride 🙁

akira

If you like white the Gavi is a bargain, steak is good but not stupidly cheap and the big 1kg lasagne is very tasty.

turboferret

Our neighbour swears by their nappies, but I suspect that isn’t quite what you’re looking for 😀

Cheers, Rich

joolsburger
    Free Member

Their Prosecco is good as are some of the other wines like the Malbec they do for 7 odd quid.

MoreCashThanDash

Fruit and Nut chocolate, chocolate coated peanuts, pizzas, their fake Carte D’Or ice cream, fresh chickens, yoghurts, packs of ham off cuts – something like £1.69 for a weeks worth of sandwich fillings – bloomer loaves, granola, their ground coffee is pretty good for the price.

To be honest, just see what takes your fancy and try it

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cheese croquettes…..

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Greenhouses, firepits, cycling gear, welders and air compressors

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

(It’s an ongoing joke in our house whilst doing the weekly shop – “how are we for mig welders dear, enough at home?”

poolman
    Free Member

Solar powered garden lights last week – brilliant, still work

doris5000

the Puglian olive oil in the tall glass bottles – £3 a pop and tastes better than the Napolina versions that cost twice as much.

PMK2060

The steaks, chocolate and fake magnums are good value.

I am not keen on the pizzas or the mature grated cheddar which I find too bland.

AdamW
    Free Member

Gooseberry fools are nice.
    Toro Loco and the Californian Merlot are pretty good. Not too keen on their white wines though.
    Weetabix clone
    Magnum washing up liquid is good.
    Caledonian cheese
    90p litre orange juice

Always take a look at the ‘super six’ cheap veg when you do your menus.

blitz

The Malborough sav blanc is gvfm (freemans bay or something? ). The steaks are great. Wagyu burgers are immense. Specially selected sausages are good too.

jekkyl

3 magnums for 90p!
    the ‘single grain’ blended whisky is palatable for a lil snifter during a ride.
    the nuts are cheap.

poolman
    Free Member

Anti cal spray for cleaning taps. Miracle and pov money

bearnecessities

As MCTD mentioned, their whole chickens are great. I eat a lot of their cheapo olives too. Really nutty muesli is great value, but sometimes a bit dusty. For the price though, even if only 500g, it’s brill.

One thing to really mention, is their tins of tuna. The likes of John West, in fact everyone, reduced the can sizes some time ago on the sly and constantly throw various offers about that just are intended to confuse. The aldi Tuna is full size and line caught.

For 59p.

Their pulses are also dirt cheap but limited range, sadly.

Their range of 4 packs of grotty cider are great to stick in the fridge for a refreshing boozy hot day at £1.85.

If only they sold crisps like kettle crisps 🙁

zbonty

Sausages! Cumberlands and plain pork are tasty

MoreCashThanDash

How could I forget the tuna? And the fools, fool! 🙄

duncancallum

Rioja
    Malbec
    Both very good.

The pinot gringo I like at at below 4 quid is a bargain.

I also like the minted lamb burgers.

Oh n the malted bloomer loaf makes an epic sarnie with the frickedalla(sorry for the spelling)

jonnyrockymountain

I like st etienne lager bottles or cans
    Magnums and there ice cream oreo’s are lush
    And got a garmin edge 25 for £59.99

mucker

I generally agree, however I find their fresh fruit and veg a bit iffy, their potatoes always sprout within days of being bought, the grapes are disgusting, grape skin bags with foul juice inside, no texture (I have complained both in store and to their customer services).
    I object to having all fruit and veg pre-packed.
    I much prefer the other German discounter, Lidl, bigger more diverse selection, better quality, fresher, sold loose.

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

Just get the dark chocolate with Hazelnuts and the Sauv blanc and embrace your Middle Aged mum within!

dknwhy

+1 for the ice cream oreos and the cookie ones.
    Extra special chorizo, Moser caramel chocolate.
    Steaks are good. Steinhauser lager too.

Mattbike

Their chocolate muesli is great.

beefheart
    Free Member

Their black currant 50% juice squash stuff is indistinguishable from Ribena, and is 99p a bottle.

matt10214
    Free Member

Their own gin is very nice, and award winning!

The O.H. loves the Prosseco too. Bloomer’s are very nice, Specially Selected Prawns in Chilli, Chorizo and as said before the ham off cuts are very good value.

My local one had Shipyard American IPA in bottles once but I haven’t seen them since, shame.

Drac

Their black currant 50% juice squash stuff is indistinguishable from Ribena, and is 99p a bottle.

Are your taste buds broken?

skids
    Free Member

melon medley good, Dairyfine bad

colournoise

Chorizo +1
    Wheat Beer is amazing.
    Chocolate (fruit and nut is awesome, as are their plain chocolate KitKat knock offs).
    Brioche rolls.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Also appreciating new Aldi’s popping up.

Really like Ocean Rise Herring tins at the moment – Pineapple in curry sauce and mango & peppercorn.

Foodie Market Flapjacks are pretty good and useful as snack to take on a ride.

Their packs of Focaccia are nice too.

Just wish Lidl would open stuff near me. There’s another Aldi planned nearby but no Lidl.

edhornby

As above, also the argie malbec, the NZ pinot noir

Sadly, The toro loco isn’t as good as it used to be

trademark
    Free Member

Almat washing powder keeps winning awards.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I love the fruit and veg….the reason most goes off quickly, is because it’s actually fresh! The big supermarkets generally keep it in blast chillers for a while before it gets to the shelves, whereas Aldi take it from the mud and put it on the shelves…..it’s not mucked with nearly as much.
    And lamb burgers………mmmmmmnnnnn!
    Malted bloomer, strawberry conserve, crunchy peanut butter……best toast variant ever!

wonnyj
    Free Member

Our neighbour swears by their nappies, but I suspect that isn’t quite what you’re looking for

jon1973
    Free Member

Their dishwasher tablets are a quarter of the price of other brands but rate the highest in the Which consumer tests.

johndoh
    Free Member

Do they do decent LIqui-Tab style dishwasher tablets too? I find the solid block ones always ruin glasses really quickly.

I shall be road testing the tuna shortly – we get through industrial amounts of that at home 🙂

pocpoc
    Free Member

Many good beers at either £1.25 or £1.50 a bottle – esp. th Hobgoblin Gold.
    Nappies and wipe for those with kids – we’ve never gone back to branded since Aldi opened near us.
    Frozen pizzas are half the price of other supermarkets and nicer in my opinion.
    Fruit and veg does seem to go off quicker, but pricey stuff such as strawbs, cherries etc is so much cheaper than elsewhere. You just need to eat it quick.

And of course the bike kit when it’s in!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Another Aldi post – what's hot and not right now?’ is closed to new replies.