Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 212 total)
  • Another aeroplane thread! Anything from WWI to WWII inclusive this time….
  • mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I always get frowned at for saying i like these better than Spitfires
    Mustangs

Technically superior in a few minor respects, the rad design was a bit of a masterpiece on the Mustang and gave it a good few kts extra speed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meredith_effect

What the hell – highly modded and probably way out of thread jurisdication, the sadly lost Galloping Ghost:

jimw
    Free Member

You want jets rather than props, OK what about a plane that was operational with both

SAAB J21

SAAB J21R

The Me262 first flew with a piston engine

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Sneaking in before the closing date, Gloster Meteor

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

might as well have Gloster’s jet prototype while we’re at it

E28/39

nickc

MkXII first of the griffon powered spitfires to come into widespread service. Widely recognised (in clipped wing format shown here) to be the fastest low level piston aircraft in general service. Most pilots found that the enemy just wouldn’t engage with them when flying it. This was the aircraft that shot down most V-1s

chip
    Free Member

B29 superfortress.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Miles M20

An unbelievable nine weeks from specification issued to test flight of prototype. Conceived as an emergency, easy to produce backup, in case spit/hurricane production was stopped by bombing.

Essentially a complete Lancaster Merlin installation at the front.

scuttler

Love the fact about the Miles M20 and the requirements of a mid-war specification!

@Klunk’s spitfire pic on the last page – that’s a proper goosebumps pic that is.

CountZero

Some fabulous aircraft here, the Grumman Tigercat on the first page is a long-time favourite, lucky enough to have seen one flying at RAF Wroughton years ago.
    Have had a long-standing love for the PBY-5 Catalina, too; if there was any aircraft that I could have the opportunity to own and fly, it would be the Cat, one put on a lovely display at Weston Air Day last year:

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Always liked this. Then I saw it crash at Biggin Hill. Not felt the same about air shows since.

Bell P63 Kingcobra

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Flying boats… plural. The Short Mayo composite:

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Gosh darn it, if Fokker can put three wings on a Dr1, we can do better…

Wight Quadraplane

(no, it wasn’t better)

CountZero

A nice pair, clipped-wing Spit, and the only Hurri flying that saw action in the Battle of Britain:

And something we’ll never see again, a pair of Lancasters:

Best photos I could get under the circumstances.

Harry_the_Spider

Westland Whirlwind

Sadly not as good as it looked.

Hughes Spruce Goose

Difficult to park.

Klunk
    Free Member

another tigercat pic

matt_outandabout

Spruce Goose.

Best. Name. Ever.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hughes H1 Penis extension Racer.*

Hughes hated the name Spruce Goose.

* Strictly, this shouldn’t be in the thread as it’s a recreation. A bloody good one though.

Klunk
    Free Member

Ilyushin Il-2M3

integerspin
    Free Member

Here’s a pic of TT winner Alec Bennett in his RFC Bristol F2.

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

ME163

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

As an avid childhood reader of W.E. Johns my mind links the aforementioned Beaufighter with the Consolidated B-24 Liberator in some particularly exciting piece of derring-do – possibly in Borneo.

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

DO335

Pickers

***Nerd/pedant***

That Handley Page Stirling way back up there, were they not built by Short Bros?

allthegear
    Free Member

Got the shot of the two Lancaster but some modern old thing got in the way! 🙄

Rachel

spursn17
    Free Member

B26 Martin Marauder. Hard to fly because of its high landing speed, but the pilots loved it when they got used to it.

beamers

Sopwith Camel and Pup ( and my father-in-law third from left who once upon a time commanded the Fleet Air Arm Historic Flight ):

hamishthecat
    Free Member

***Nerd/pedant***

That Handley Page Stirling way back up there, were they not built by Short Bros?

Correct. Beat me to it.

shermer75
    Free Member

Curtiss XP-55

john_drummer
    Free Member

Beamers, the Pup looks like it’s escaped from Pixar’s “Planes” 😉 the machine guns look like its eyes…

crankboy
    Free Member

Fokker E111 eindeker. No flaps the cables warp the wings to make it manoeuvre. Lethal in the Fokker Summer as it had the first effective forward firing gun .

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t think we’ve had one of these yet, despite it being considered by many to be the best British fighter of the World War (though it’s not as pretty as a Camel)

SE5a

ps44
    Free Member

For Typhoon fans, I bumped into this a while back. Worth a watch – the usual collection of heros.

Klunk
    Free Member

boeing 221a monomail

Klunk
    Free Member

Boeing 218

Klunk
    Free Member

junkers 88

Klunk
    Free Member

blackburn firebrand

Klunk
    Free Member

Lavochkin La-9

Klunk
    Free Member

Lockheed 10-A Electra

muddy@rseguy

No DC3?

Shame on you all…

john_drummer
    Free Member

C47 on page 2…

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 212 total)

The topic ‘Another aeroplane thread! Anything from WWI to WWII inclusive this time….’ is closed to new replies.