Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anonymous voting question
  • dan1980
    Free Member

Just been to vote and was wondering if anyone had any idea why my votes were logged against a unique number? Each voting slip had a serial number on it, and when they matched my name up to cross me off their list, copied the number adjacent to that onto a form against the serial number of the slips.

I thought that voting was supposed to be anonymous? Not that I’m bothered….

Houns

In the past i have voted for a party, previously had no correspondence from them at all,ever , after polling day it was if i was on their mailing list. Anonymous my arse

allthepies
    Free Member

In the past i have voted for a party, previously had no correspondence from them at all,ever , after polling day it was if i was on their mailing list. Anonymous my arse

Did you give your polling card number to anyone outside the polling centre ? There are usually members of the local political parties asking you for your details (but they don’t advertise themselves as such), I always decline and carry on into the polling station.

grum
    Free Member

Didn’t do that with me today.

j_me
    Free Member

Its not an anonymous vote in the UK.

mustard
    Free Member

They need to record a certain amount of information to ensure that there is no fraud being committed. I have no fears over the anonymity of my votes and this is from a person who won’t have shop loyalty cards as I don’t like giving them all that info!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They record that you’ve been to the polling station and been given a polling card, but not who you’ve voted for.

I’m not sure I see a problem with that…not being critical of the OP or others…is there something I shoul;d be angry about? I always welcome anything like that 🙂

j_me
    Free Member

but not who you’ve voted for

I think they bag up all the voting slips, seal and store them. They could in theory open these and trace them back to the original voter if they suspected electoral fraud. So in theory they could, but its unlikely.

dan1980
    Free Member

They can find out who I’ve voted for as they know that a voting slip (serial number 1234567890) for the local election was given to voter number 1234 which corresponds to Mr Dan1980 of An address in Manchester.

I’m not bothered in the slightest, but I was under the impression that no-one was supposed to know who I voted for.

grum
    Free Member

I know who you voted for.

AND I’M COMING FOR YOU

dan1980
    Free Member

Cool, if you could pick up some milk (green top) on the way as I’m out that’d be great. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

AND I’M COMING FOR YOU

As long as it’s not dry matey, I don’t mind. 😯

mustard
    Free Member

dry matey

Is that like powdered bubble bath? *innocent*

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anonymous voting question’ is closed to new replies.