Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Annual slim wallet thread – Bellroy Slim Sleeve
  • jsync

I’ve seen a few of these pop up here over time and the Slim Sleeve seems to be well liked. As such I’m looking at one as I think it will suit as actual cash seems to be used less and less, particularly in the pandemic. My question for owners though is when you want to carry cash, is it just a single fold for the new £10 and £20 notes? I’ve looked on the web but I can only find pics with the old ones.

Thanks!

**caveat**

For those that are inevitably going to recommend their own my requirements are:

– Compact enough for front pocket
    – Leather (preferably)
    – Carry 8 cards
    – Carry 5 or so notes
    – Does not bulk when filled as above

ThePilot
    Free Member

I find you have to fold notes twice.
    I keep mine in the left hand side under the cards.
    Great wallet but doesn’t take many notes but as you say not necessary these days.
    Got 8 cards in mine and not bulky.

b33k34

I bought my Bellroy 2 years ago. It’s a note sleeve I think. Lovely leather, good size. Went through the washing machine once and, after I treated the leather, just looks more worn in.

However, I’ve barely carried it since buying it. Just very rarely take cash or cards anywhere any more – do everything off the phone.

cat69uk
    Free Member

I’ve had the Loft of Cambie Wolyt for 5 years, nice and slim and has worn well and a lovely patina. I only have 2 debit cards on either side & driving license in the middle, easily hold a few more if needed, shoved any reward cards on my phone using Google Pay. Has a slot for a few folded notes as well, although never used this for last couple of years as never use cash,

oldtennisshoes

I have the Bellroy Card Pocket

It will do what you’ve asked in that list, although it’s not magic, it’s width will vary depending on what’s inside.

I’ve had mine 3 years and the quality is superb.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In the spirit of ‘recommend what you have’ – Pickett Compact.

😎

lotto
    Free Member

https://www.trove.cc/

Fits your requirements?

Aidy
    Free Member

Slim Sleeve is great. I switched to a Bellroy Elements Sleeve, but it looks like they’ve discontinued them 🙁

Bellroy customer support is a pleasure to deal with, too.

benp1

I have a Hackett X Trove. I massively reduced wallet usage due to Apple Watch and iPhone so went from a Bellroy to the Trove. Bought as an experiment but a good few years on I haven’t switched back. I have a Bellroy Hide and Seek sitting in my cupboard unloved.

I have a separate coin pouch that I carry if I know for sure I want change, like the kids school summer fete, otherwise I don’t carry change

simon_g

I have https://dashwallets.com/products/dash-bando-slim-utility-wallet which claims 10 but it’d be chunky with that.

Can you not cut down a bit? I only routinely carry 3 (current, joint current, credit card) now and I’m thinking of dropping to one as an emergency fallback just in case Apple Pay doesn’t work.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Trove here.

Its not a folding carrier though. I keep one note it more than that is flash bastard territory these days.

spannermonkey

I’ve had a variety of minimalist ‘twin plate’ type ones but now only use either:

Day to day = Secrid Mini Wallet
    https://secrid.com/en-gb/wallets/

Evening out = Dash Slim 5.0
    https://dashwallets.com/collections/shop/products/dash-slim-wallet-5-0

Depending on how much/little I’m carrying around.

Harry_the_Spider

A Gentleman’s Purse thread?

The weather is lovely, get outside for half an hour and think about what you have done. 😉

DrJ

I replaced my Belroy slim wallet with an Apple Magsafe one. Doesn’t fit your requirements as it only takes 3 cards – I have my driving licence, Oyster card and a credit card in case Apple Pay doesn’t work. Haven’t used money since Christmas Day when I had to get 20 quid from an ATM to buy a £1 bulb of garlic at a corner shop. The magnetic thing really works for me – the reason I wasn’t keen on the Belroy was because it got lost in my coat pocket.

Aidy
    Free Member

I had an early version of the dash wallet. Poor materials and customer service. Perhaps they’ve gotten better, though.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Trove user here, notes folded twice.

impatientbull

I use one of these:

https://spinewallet.com/

I can’t see how it could be slimmer, unless you did away with the metal plate and just used an elastic band.

footflaps

A Gentleman’s Purse thread?

Surely a Rapha clutch bag is all that’s required?

nicko74

For the last 10 years I’ve had this kinda thing:

https://www.hugoboss.com/italian-leather-card-holder-with-logo-badge/hbeu50454148_021.html?cgid=24301
    No fold, fits 6 cards easily without bulking up, plus notes, and then you could fit a couple more cards in the inside slip pockets if you needed. Honestly, it’s changed my life*

*specifically the part of it that didn’t like a big ol wallet

benp1

The biggest downside to my trove wallet is that it’s so minimalist i’ve lost it a few times. have taken off shorts and trousers and not realised it’s in there.

joshvegas
    Free Member

The biggest downside to my trove wallet is that it’s so minimalist i’ve lost it a few times

Nah its never lost. Its normally just go to the washing machine and checks it pressed against the door waiting for the cycle to end.

brads
    Free Member

I have a large Harley wallet on a chain lol It’s been empty for over a year since I discovered Google pay.

I have to ask, if you have a phone, what is the requirement for so many cards and cash etc ?

God I sound almost modern !

Vortexracing

Slim Sleeve is great

love mine 🙂

Daffy

^^^^This.

Haven’t carried a bespoke wallet for over 5 years, haven’t carried a phone wallet for 3 years. My phone case has a slot for 2 cards and £20 on the back of it and even that I only take when going some distance from home or intending to buy something over £45. Why would one need anything else unless travelling?

hopster
    Free Member

Go green and get a recycled one made from a coffee packet.

hopster
    Free Member

Made this one for xmas from a bag he gave me.

footflaps

I’ve completely stopped using a wallet, finally got round to adding all my cards to the iPhone and have an emergency £20 in the back of the iPhone case just for the rare situation where I cycle 40 miles to a random cafe and find they don’t take cards and need cake to make the return journey. Not used it yet…..

Kuco

I went through this just before Christmas looking for a minimalist wallet. Realised I hadn’t actually carried money for a few months went for a cardholder instead. Managed to find a Bellroy card sleeve half price, okay it’s shitty green but it just seems to be getting better with age.

Bellroy

brads
    Free Member

£45 !!

No wonder you’d no money to put in it lol

Murray

Slim Sleeve since 2014 – emergency £5 and £10 notes folded in half, 7 cards (personal, work, PoA for my mum and National Trust). All loyalty cards on my phone.

I think it’s great and whilst expensive it’s lasted longer than any previous wallet including Animal, folded paper etc

jsync

Thanks for the suggestions (including having a long hard look at what I did), I’ve toyed with the idea of the Trove and other similar card wallets but I still think there will be a need for a bit of cash. I’m not too keen on metal wallets either, although have never tried one.

Card wise I have a few that I don’t think can go on an app like annual passes and the odd local loyalty card so think I’m stuck. Otherwise it would be drover’s license, card to access car, cash card and credit card and that would be all. I have added cards to apple pay but there is a limit to the spend isn’t there?

brads
    Free Member

Otherwise it would be drover’s license,

You walk sheep to market ??

Nice job mate.

Murray

There’s no fixed limit for Apple Pay or Google Pay as long as you’ve unlocked your phone – it’s up to your issuer. I frequently spend more than £100 at Tesco on the weekly shop.

jsync

brads
    Otherwise it would be drover’s license,

You walk sheep to market ??

Nice job mate.

hahaha

DrP

This thread reminded me to get another Belroy note wallet thing… I love mine, as I carry cash/cards/NHS card etc most of the time. the coin bit has kinda broken on my Belroy, and it’s pretty worn now..Picked up a nice racing green one in the sale, to replace my aged brown one!

DrP

spooky_b329

2020 was the year I stopped routinely carrying my wallet. Now its acceptable to use contactless for a 75p Yorkie bar, I just don’t need it.

All payments are contactless using my mobile, I’ll take a credit card for large purchases.

I got the Stocard app for all my loyalty cards, you just take photos of them and it digitises the barcode. Everywhere seems to be happy to accept them on my phone, even the Halfords Trade card.

jsync

It’s 2021 and I’ve been able to recreate my cards in the Pass4Wallet app, so they now appear in the iphone wallet – although they haven’t been tested. Progress!

Just a couple more to add to the list:

Trove cash wrap Trove
    Winston wingback Winston

I had dismissed Trove but the one above seems a decent compromise for now. And yes I do think the Winston is expensive.

Freester

I’m sorry. Those Troves piqued my interest a little until I saw ‘finest Italian elastic’. WTF. rofl

finbar
    Free Member

What do all you slim wallet fans do with your change if you’re wearing a suit? Stick it straight in the charity box? I find a pocket full of loose change spoils the drape a bit more than a slightly chunkier wallet.

benp1

I always carry cash, there are places that still don’t accept cards (when the covid madness is over anyway) – barber, market stalls, street food etc

My trove has three cards (drivers licence, bank card, RFID blocker I was given), plus cash. Anywhere between £30 and £60, rarely gets used but it’s there if I need it

change gets left in a pocket and then dumped at home. haven’t worn a suit for a while now though…

use watch for most payments, rarely use phone apart from Stocard for discount/membership cards. Therefore wanted a very small wallet

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Annual slim wallet thread – Bellroy Slim Sleeve’ is closed to new replies.