Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • And my little feathered friends are back. :-)
  • welshfarmer

At last. My swallows have returned. Was down the workshop and realised their happy chirping was coming from the beams above where they have there perennial nests. Welcome back guys. Hope the summer is kind to you.

maccruiskeen

Mine aren’t here yet. Its always a mix of emotions. I’m always glad that both me and them have made it through the winter. They’re more than welcome and the 150 year old workshop was built with their own door just for swallows. But thats tempered by concerns about where they’re going to stick their nest this time and what they’re going to shit on from it.

Pigface
    Free Member

Haven’t seen any yet, always feels like winter is done when they arrive

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

The starlings got back into the soffits earlier than I anticipated this year. No chance to block them out, maybe next winter.

On the bright-side, it’s my neighbours wall they shit down not mine…

slowoldman

We have “pet” blackbirds who nest in the greenery just outside the back window. Well, we like to think it’s always the same couple.

Alpha1653

Starting to see some migratory birds back these last few weeks: chiffchaff a few weeks ago and a black cap in the last few days. No swallows yet though.

km79
    Free Member

My favorite type of bird Swallows.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Isn’t that everyone’s favourite bird? 8)

joshvegas
    Free Member

Something keeps waking me with the noise akin to a squeky hinge for hours on end from about 530.

Less pleased thats returned

13thfloormonk

Just moved into a new build estate, it’s a desert for birdlife at the moment 🙁

Although the resident flock of starlings do a pretty good ‘Birds’ routine when they perch on the roof, all in a perfect row and they do a little mexican wave when a new member of the flock comes in to land and they all have to shuffle along a bit 8)

Klunk
    Free Member

We’ve been feeding the red kites recently bloody huge close up, they are in and out with the chicken pieces so quickly (the sense of smell must be incredible). They cruise low over the garden slightly cross wind, they drop one wing in a turning dive, flare out grab the food and 2 or 3 big flaps of the wing and away it’s a really WOW moment to watch from the kitchen.

13thfloormonk

Suddenly my shuffling starlings don’t seem so exciting any more 🙁

theotherjonv

klunk – what do you do, just leave raw chicken bits on the grass? How big’s your garden? Did you have to leave food for long or did they start taking it immediately?

My parents are in Sonning Common, between Reading and Henley, and there’s always masses circling above.

That would be amazing to see.

maccyb
    Free Member

Squeaky hinges? Great tits, probably…

Freester

Saw my first swallow on Sunday.

We have House Martins nesting in the eves.

Two of the nests had squatters this winter. Sparrows and Pied Wagtails!

Klunk
    Free Member

klunk – what do you do, just leave raw chicken bits on the grass? How big’s your garden? Did you have to leave food for long or did they start taking it immediately?

yep two bits (1 wing cut in 2) of cheapest lidl chicken (works out about the same price as the worms we put out for the robin 😯 ) out on the lawn, very small garden (though we back onto fields but I don’t think they care about that), Took about an hour for them to sniff it out (leave it on the side over night for added ripeness). We’ve lost a couple of pieces to some cheeky gulls but most has been taken by Kites.

They aren’t always so quick, got lucky first time sometimes we get no takers and bring it back in an put it back out the next day. Sometimes it goes within half an hour. Its a real smash and grab though so put it out for the first few times when you can spend the time to watch for them cos if you blink or go to the loo you’ll miss it 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

uddenly my shuffling starlings don’t seem so exciting any more

raptors are impressive but really enjoyed a sparrow dancing for his mate the other day he had all the moves 🙂

CountZero

The starlings got back into the soffits earlier than I anticipated this year. No chance to block them out, maybe next winter.

It’s because of this that the populations of both starlings and house sparrows have crashed by 90%+ 😐

On the bright side I saw a swallow while I was down in Cornwall, somewhere around Tintagel, IIRC, and several while I was driving up around the Cotswold Water Park this afternoon.
    Really looking forward to the swifts chasing each other around the rooftops and screaming their sooty little heads off!
    That’s when I know summer is properly here. 😀

welshfarmer

When I rebuilt the gable end of my house/barn conversion I left several voids with tunnels to the outside. It wasn’t long before the local house sparrows moved in :-). But then the walls are about 3 foot thick so I can afford to be generous and share them. Except the wasps. They can f*** right off 👿

slackalice
    Free Member

We saw three Swallows last weekend who seemed very keen to return into our boathouse but have yet to, so probably not ‘our’ one’s. They were very keen to flit off to mob a passing Marsh Harrier though as it flew at low level over us.

Big one yesterday, watching a Crane circling over us at low level too! Very exciting as we are aware of only one breeding pair in the locale and hoping this one may have been one of their previous broods returning

Interesting to read about feeding the Kites, apparently there are a pair not far from us and as we are in east Norfolk (Broadland) they are not exactly common here as yet.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Sparrows at the bird feeder, followed by hooligan/chav scum starlings all rowdy and pretend hard until the Jackdaws and crows arrive and give them the steely stare when the starlings retreat to next doors roof and hurl abuse.

The odd Sparrowhawk doing stealth attacks, fence hopping before skimming the lawn at 6 inches before pulling up and over the next fence.

Oh and pidgeons, randy bloody pidgeons. Cannot stand the things.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Saw my 1st 2 swallows a few days ago, nice. (North Yorkshire)

Also we’ve got Jenny & Jonny wren nesting about 10ft from the back door, blue tits just above & blackbirds in the big conifer.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘And my little feathered friends are back. :-)’ is closed to new replies.