Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • And a few hours of elbow grease later…
  • danielgroves
    Free Member

One set of Shimano XT cranks, which look way better than when they had silver paint covered in foot-rub and scratches.

Might even polish them after exams if I get time, but for now they need to go on the bike again so I can actually ride over the weekend/easter.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It’s missing something…

danielgroves
    Free Member

It’s missing something…

Well, quite a few things to turn them into whole bike.

sandwicheater

I like. What did you use to polish them up?

enduroforever
    Free Member

This is how mine came up in the end

danielgroves
    Free Member

This stuff:

All cost about £10 in wilkinsons. Very much a brushed aluminium effect at the moment, might get the nice and shiny like enduroforever’s when I get an afternoon free.

banks
    Free Member

You could have used a wire brush widget in a drill & done it in 5 mins : )

danielgroves
    Free Member

A lot more expensive when I don’t own either though 😉

D0NK

IME unless you polish them up properly like endurofever they will tarnish (oxidise?) and look dull pretty damn quick.

…but still probably look better than they did

danielgroves
    Free Member

Well, I’ll see how they look in about a 6 weeks once my final year exams are out the way. I’ll have some time to polish them if needed then. Certainly look way better than they did, crappy picture but this’ll give you a very poor impression of what they were like before. This was the better of the two crank arms.

creamegg
    Free Member

look the same to me 😆

miketually
    Free Member

Nice.

One day, I’m going to swap my Inbred frame for a raw Scandal, and have stripped cranks, destickered wheels, etc.

danielgroves
    Free Member

My long term aim is to get some lovely custom Ti welded up with swap outs at the back, as I switch between geared and SS depending on my mood. Not a fan of the beige 😉

creamegg
    Free Member

could they be anodised or does the non-aluminium bits make that impossible? Maybe a clear lacquer? Thinking of doing something similar with some old xt cranks

nixie

Think the steel bits would prevent anodising.

LsD
    Free Member

I always get Autosol and Anusol confused….though I must say, my Farmer Giles have shone up a treat (etc….)

unovolo
    Free Member

Aren’t they Deore not XT cranks(Pedantic I know)

Time to roll out my polished LX crank pics:
    Before

After

Been using these on my mutant CX bike for the last couple of months and there still shiny, quick going over with Autosol or Peak will have them back to like what you see in the pics.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘And a few hours of elbow grease later…’ is closed to new replies.