Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • An education issue not wholly Gove's fault…
  • wwaswas

Although I guess it’s possible that pressure to get it published meant there was insufficient scrutiny.

http://www.channel4.com/news/physics-gcse-michael-gove-error-isaac-newton-grave-syllabus

The authors of the new paper confused “velocity” for “acceleration” in one mechanics equation used to calculate kinetic energy.

The second error was in an equation used to measure movement, where what should have been “distance” was replaced by “time”. Other terms used in the first appendix, while not incorrect, were also considered problematic by some physicists and teachers.

It’s as if I gave you an equation to calculate your height, and it gave you an answer in kilograms Alby Reid

That the howlers have come from a department whose head is Education Secretary Michael Gove, who has insisted on higher teaching standards and rigorous testing, will strike many as ironic.

No doubt teachers will be blamed somewhere along the line for this.

aracer
    Free Member

Not Gove’s fault? That’s like suggesting that anything which happened in the 80s last 25 years isn’t Facha’s fault.

aracer
    Free Member

Well they have already corrected it, but used the term “speed” instead of “velocity” when the two terms don’t actually mean the same thing. I’m not sure if it would be better or worse if they’d consistently used “speed” instead of “velocity”, but it’s not consistent.

Oh and they haven’t fixed the other terminology issues either. What a mess.

GrahamS

In a related note, I liked this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ8RA3QF0EU[/video]

slowoldman

Of course it’s Gove’s fault. You only have to look at him.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

GrahamS: That video clip is brilliant. Well worth five and three quarter minutes of anyones time.

wwaswas

Of course it’s Gove’s fault. You only have to look at him.

I can’t argue with that.

The most slappable face in politics.

cranberry
    Free Member

Not Gove’s fault?

Not his fault ? How very dare you!

Everyone knows that he wrote those exam papers him-very-self, in the sweet blood of little innocent teachers.

footflaps

+1

footflaps

Mind you 99.9% of politicians don’t know the different between ‘debt’ and ‘deficit’, including our PM!

aracer
    Free Member

Have you forgotten about Eric Pickles already?

wwaswas

Have you forgotten about Eric Pickles already?

It would be like slapping a lump of brawn, I’d worry about losing my hand.

GrahamS

GrahamS: That video clip is brilliant. Well worth five and three quarter minutes of anyones time.

Yeah I have a lot of time for Jess Green. Love her style.

jag61

yes it is …however I heard an interview with Ed Balls yesterday when he claimed that the last ‘lot’solved the nhs waiting time issues in the 90s, “at the time there was a wait of 18 months for a hip op, and thats over 2 years ! was he not one of Goves predecessors? stupid seems be a requirement in that job.
    edit that jess green amazing I hope he gets to see it.

mightymule
    Free Member

I work in education.

I am considering writing to the BBC to explain that having Mr Gove on the radio during rush hour is extremely bad for road safety, due to the inevitable explosions of rage that will come from anybody listening.

CountZero

Northwind

How can anyone describe Gove as slappable? You’d have to be wrong in the head to pass up the opportunity to punch him.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why is it that every archive photo the press uses when reporting a Michael Gove related news story they always choose one which shows him with ridiculously smug expression on his face, such as the one in the OP’s link :

This has to be blatant political bias as I can’t believe that anyone can always look quite that smug.

GrahamS

Good point ernie.

How about this one?

Okay, maybe ditch the glasses?

And accessorise with a scarf?

Nope, sorry, turns out that’s just how he looks 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘An education issue not wholly Gove's fault…’ is closed to new replies.