Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • An accident at the gas fitters?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

WHooooaaahh there…

snapped this morning on my Sausage hunting expedition in Ledbury.
    The local Audax beards were all assembled in their Karrimor finery. One gent had this extraordinary contraption. On the down tube was the name “Flying Gate” – they’re not wrong. Please excuse the poor quality as I took the shot from a distance on my ‘phone as I wanted to avoid getting drawn into the inevitable conversation had I strayed too close to the ronhill’d gathering…

Yes that really is a tube vertically between the BB shell and the top tube, another between that junction and the drop out, and to finish it all off another between that brace and the TT/SS as a seat tube. Possibly inspire by the Centre Georges Pompidou? 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Looks (Apart from odd) that it’s designed so he sits right over the back wheel?

Wheelie-tastic!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

the famous flying gate

shove that up your niche hole 🙂

Lucas
    Free Member

‘Sausage hunting expedition’! 😯

IHN

Ugly, but I bet it makes the back end quite comfy as shocks from the seat tube aren’t transmitted straight up your bumhole.

Stoner
    Free Member

Sausage hunting expedition you dirty minded oik.

Stoner
    Free Member

jeezus there’s more than one of them?!?!?!? UI thoughit it could only have been a one off experiment! Ha! 🙂

from MRMW’s link

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

oh it gets worse stoner:

Lucas
    Free Member

There’s no way I’m falling for that and clicking on your link – especially while at work.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it was designed as a way of shortening the wheelbase. some time in the thirties I think

Stoner
    Free Member

dont worry Lucas – they dont have many banger’s left after I bought three dozen this morning 🙂

franki
    Free Member

I’ve seen a fair few of those about over the years.
    Why anyone would ride one is beyond me.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

oddly enough, niches pre date this forum by quite a long time

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You know, I don’t think it looks that bad. Lots nicer than a Jones for example. And some of those on that link have some superb workmanship. Bluddy short wheelbase though, I bet you can get into some right old tankslappers if you hit a bump!

BigDummy
    Free Member

It looks awe-inspiringly hideous. Which, if it’s actually really comfortable, is a pity. 😉

Same general idea as this?

Stoner
    Free Member

Jon – Im trying to work out which bit of that abomination is supposed to fold first in a crash/riding over a cobble 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘An accident at the gas fitters?’ is closed to new replies.