Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Am I turning into a runner?…
  • the-muffin-man

I started running on 1st Jan this year as part of a new year fitness drive – never thought I’d stick to it as I’ve never been good at it – since then I have…

• I’ve hardly touched a bike – last proper ride was in May (roadbike) and I’ve only done 6 this year.
    • I haven’t done a serious mountain bike ride since last Sept (2012!).
    • The only time the bike comes out is for a family towpath ride.
    • The running shoes are always 1st choice – cycling seems such a faff now.
    • The bike shed seems to far away to be bothered with.
    • And worst of all – I’ve stopped flicking the brake levers every time I go in the shed!

I can now run 10k with no problem, I’m thinking of entering races next year and I’m even thinking of selling the Tinbred.

the-muffin-man
    (former cyclist!)

singlecrack
    Free Member

oh dear………Ive kind of been a bit the same this year …although I have done more cycling than you ……..but the trainers always seem an easier choice now ……especially with limited time

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

you didn’t ride your bike all summer? WTF 😐

… best you just leave quietly …. 😉

supercyril
    Free Member

I always think of sports and hobbies as a bit like women. Your not meant to stick with them same one forever.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Same here, I love running now so the bikes don’t get touched, the road bike will be up for sale soon, I’ll keep the MTB for pootles with my GF but that’s pretty much it for me cyclingwise now, I don’t miss the faff and expense one little bit.

Bit of a shame really though, as I’ve just moved near to the Quantocks!

the-muffin-man

you didn’t ride your bike all summer? WTF

Nope – a couple of family rides around Carsington Res was the sum total of my summer riding.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’ve just moved near to the Quantocks!

OMG get riding now 😯

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’ve just moved near to the Quantocks!
    OMG get riding now

Nah, great for a spot of trail running though 😉

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Nope – a couple of family rides around Carsington Res was the sum total of my summer riding.

to quote Jimmy Conway…”It’s a ****in shame”

danti

Oh Dear!
    And from where you live there are some great trails as well!
    Just north of Derby myself.
    Sounds like you need a 650b to bring the trails alive again for you..
    Get rid of that noodly Tinbred

the-muffin-man

And from where you live there are some great trails as well!

Aye – but after 20+ years of cycling I’ve ridden them so many times the appeal just isn’t there anymore – it’s just more of the same. And with a young family I don’t have time to travel further afield.

Sounds like you need a 650b to bring the trails alive again for you..

I did buy a 29er a couple of years ago!

ross980
    Free Member

I’m in a similar position to the OP and my mtb and road bike have barely got a look in this year, mainly through time constraints (young family, house move). My only New Year’s resolution was to run my first 10 miler in 2013, not achieved yet but hopefully in the next 4-6 weeks. I also find myself looking at OS maps and planning potential trail running routes rather than mtb routes…
    I still wouldn’t consider myself a ‘runner’ though, mainly as I’m quite slow (‘plodder’ would be more appropriate). As long as I can get some exercise (outside) I’m happy.

surfer
    Free Member

Top man 😀

cycling is OK but its not like the real thing!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

• The running shoes are always 1st choice – cycling seems such a faff now.

This, ages of faffing about versus the simplicity of shoes on, jogg a bit, have a shower and eat some cheese.

To make matters worse, the Great North Run is the greatest event I’ve ever done.

Losidan
    Free Member

Move to Wharfeldale/Calderdale bud. Then start fell running. It’s even better. Loads of races every weekend pretty much all year. Good craic and cheap as chips to race.

Most fell races £3-£5 and that includes a chilli in the pub after.

karnali
    Free Member

i took up tri a few years ago, been injured since ironman in july but have just started running again, much less faff esp in the winter. i just bought a 2nd hand cotic soda to try and entice myself back into mtb, i think i’ll flog it again and just build the scandal back up, seems a bit of a waste when it hardly ever gets ridden. i suspect i’ll be mainly running all winter, road and fell with a coupleof commutes on the cross bike

Duffer
    Free Member

I started running this time last year. I’ve not lost the love for biking, but since moving to Cambs i’ve been running loads more than biking.

Took part in a road race leauge last year, and tne cross country season starts in a few weeks! If i lived near some proper hills, i’d be riding more, though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just wait. You’ll pick up some horrible persistent injury and end up back cycling again 🙂

Duggan

I love running but I’d definitely warn anybody thinking about selling their bikes to keep it in the shed instead, if possible.

I was running a load of half marathons fairly recently and a bit of trail running and honestly thought I wouldn’t bother cycling again. But I’ve come full 180 degrees now and loving mtbing at the minute and can’t be arsed running at all other than forcing myself to do the odd 10k after work.

Plus running takes a heavy toll on your body- you’ll really appreciate having the bike when you can’t run due to an injury. Plus when you ramp up the training for an event or whatever it’s invaluable to be able to spread the load and do a bit of cross training. Or it was for me, anyway.

I definitely know what people mean about ‘no faff’ though, all the gear and kit for mtbing seems ludicrous after you’ve been away for a while.

Weasel
    Free Member

Last year I used to run maybe about 4 miles every other week, then started going out a bit more regular over the winter as it was less faff than coming home caked in mud after every ride, cleaning the bike etc.

Started Parkrun in January, a few 10k races in the spring, joined a running club and have noticed the difference in my fitness and my race times coming down, its all become a bit addictive :-). And I’m sure my riding is faster too cough Strava)

anonymouse
    Free Member

Move to Wharfeldale/Calderdale bud. Then start fell running. It’s even better. Loads of races every weekend pretty much all year. Good craic and cheap as chips to race.
    Most fell races £3-£5 and that includes a chilli in the pub after.

Shepherds Skyline on Saturday? It’ll most likely be a bit muddy.

Losidan
    Free Member

Might do. I missed Stoodley this year too. You in?
    It’ll be a tricky descent off Stoodley pike with the mud. If you are going and I am look for the fat lad in a cvfr vest at the back

dobo
    Free Member

love this time of year for running
    signing up for hellrunner turbo x and a few others this year for some off road madness and then next year some obstacle courses.
    but always got the mtb and cx handy for some cross training.
    all of a sudden winter isnt so bleak with a few goals and events to look forward to along the way.

Losidan
    Free Member

As a mate of mine commented the other day. ….finally, the proper running weather is on it’s way back.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Guilty as well.
    Sold my mtb earlier this year as i never used it although still got a couple of road bikes and a cx bike.
    Started running just over a year ago and have dropped my 5k from 25mins to 20mins in 9 months 🙂
    Done a couple of 1/2 marathons, a few 10 mile races and loads of 5 and 10k’s.
    Have entered a marathon next year so Sundays are now for long runs meaning no cyclocross for me this winter either 🙁

djglover
    Free Member

Best keep hold of the bikes in case of injury. ..

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Am I turning into a runner?…’ is closed to new replies.