Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Am I really the only one?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Following on from the middleburn thread:

To have worn out a UN72 square taper BB in 12 months?

To snap/bend 2 others?

So far I’ve not broken a set of HT2 cranks and a set of (user replaceable) SKF bearings costs £25 and lasts long enough to make drawing reasonble lifetime conclusions difficult because its been through 3 different bikes!

Ohh, and I’ve never trashed the threads in a HT2 crank because its siezed onto the taper.

tazzymtb

you are either mechanically inept or a biffer 😀

adstick
    Free Member

I dunno. I’m 11 stone and fairly smooth on a bike yet I’ve bent square tapers. HT2 is stiffer, lighter and the cranks don’t wear out if you take them on and off.

HughStew

I’m 15st now (14st when fit) and have UN72 on a single speed that I throw all over the place – worn them out but never bent them.

adstick
    Free Member

On an XC SS I’m sure square taper is fine, but for more ‘trail’, jumpy, harder hitting stuff HT2 is a real improvement, despite the bearings lasting less time (allegedly).

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I think it is just you

LoCo
    Free Member

Never had any issues with my TA square taper bb with Middleburn RS7’s on my Dialled Abert, 13/14 stone ridden reasonably hard around South Wales including downhill tracks.
    Bearings lasted couple of years and no issues with rounding/slipping on the tapers.
    They were done up very very tight though 😉

Saying that I haven’t got more than a year/18 months out of any Shimano BB, square tapered or HT2.

pastcaring
    Free Member

no snapped two, but only rode dh and dj at the time.
    only ran profiles for years after…

Coleman
    Free Member

I’ve never snapped or bent any bottom bracket! I now feel totally inadequate and will no doubt develop a complex and require counciling!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

‘ve never snapped or bent any bottom bracket! I now feel totally inadequate and will no doubt develop a complex and require counciling!

Same here, and I’ve really tried!

boxelder

Can we sort this out so everyone knows what standard we all have to use. God forbid we allow personal choice or preference. Diversity and free choice? Shudder.

oldgit
    Free Member

Same here, never broken one. Don’t know anyone who has. And two friends that own bike shops never have either

Ever tried to actually destroy one on purpose? gave up after a while trying to cut through one with an angle grinder, takes something to bend a bar of solid steel that short.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Am I really the only one?’ is closed to new replies.