Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Am I being too honest?
  • AdamW
    Free Member

Remember that tax doesn’t go with the car any more. The new owner has to tax it themselves, but you’ll get pro-rata’d tax back.

dooosuk
    Free Member

The longer you hold out for a high price the likes likely you are to get a sale.

You’ve already wasted 3mths test. People buying bangers want a much mot as possible. People searching the mot history will also see it’ll need money spending on it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

You’ve already wasted 3mths test. People buying bangers want a much mot as possible. People searching the mot history will also see it’ll need money spending on it.

Not really, the MOT history hasn’t actually accounted for the stuff I’ve shelled out on, not least the entire front sus rebuild last year. Hence all that stuff I put in that apparantly people can’t be bothered to read but still want to know.

I feel like I can’t win here, say too much and people lose interest but don’t mention it and they assume it’ll need doing.

breadcrumb

I think you’re over thinking the advert.

Keep it short, when you get a caller then you can tell them what you’ve done.

When I buy an older car I don’t expect things to bit be quite right. AC for example, if it works that’s a bonus if not I wouldn’t be bothered.

Try the shorter advert, you’re wasting valuable MoT everyday.

pitduck
    Free Member

I have an idea, why don’t you ask for advice,and then argue that all of it is wrong 🙄

dooosuk
    Free Member

Did you address all the advisories? If I remember wasnt it corroded brake lines and a two or three other things?

If you did just put something like “All advisories from last mot resolved” on the advert.

If you didn’t, I’d be blanking the plate on the photos so people can’t search the history.

You have wasted 3mths test. I wouldn’t even look at a sub grand car with less than 6mths test as to me I’d think the owner had run it into the ground and doesn’t fancy it passing the next mot. Plenty of £500 cars with 10mths test on, especially when you are not that far from a big city either.

I may be wrong, you might get lucky.

I’d be selling the wheels separately as well to maximise my money.

squirrelking
    Free Member

No the pipes haven’t been addressed, they have been in the same state probably as long as I’ve owned the car and it’s never been an issue, I’m willing to take my chances there. I’d forgotten about them, probably because they came up the year before.

I would sell the wheels but in all honesty they are cosmetically shagged and I’d rather just load the lot into the boot and send it on its way. Saying that I might get £50 for them. Meh. Once I get to that stage I may as well just break it. Or thrash it round Cowdenbeath racewall.

I have an idea, why don’t you ask for advice,and then argue that all of it is wrong

I have a better idea, read the bloody thread and you’ll see I gratefully took the advice given and acted upon it. Now stop trying to look like a smart arse, it doesn’t suit you.

v8ninety

Would it be a big mither to pop 12 months ticket on it? That THE best way to sell a £500-£1000 price bracket car. It’s the only thing that really matters, so long as it actually runs.

butcher

I wouldn’t read too much into eBay prices. I’ve seen cars listed on there for months, and in some cases, possibly more than a year…

It seems to me that it’s platforms like this pushing the price of cars up, as you no longer have to pay £20 to get what amounts to a tweet in the Autotrader for a week. And plenty of people are in no rush to sell.

trail_rat
    Free Member

dave so it has 3 months mot and you want 800 quid …. you have no chance

with 3 months mot and advisorys for brake pipes – you have a 300 quid car im afraid

with 12 months fresh ticket you have a chance of your 800 quid ! as it stands i wouldnt touch it with yours mate as an unknown its a time bomb – to you its solid you know it but as a fresh motor to take a punt on there are Heaps of better motors to buy.

3 months mot puts it off most bangernomics radars i guarantee it . I wont buy with anything less than 10 months.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Get some blue colour magic polish for covering the scuffs, give it another good polish all over. Give the interior another clean and get some shine on the dash. Then I’d take some better pics, that’ll improve your chances 😀

squirrelking
    Free Member

Get some blue colour magic polish for covering the scuffs, give it another good polish all over. Give the interior another clean and get some shine on the dash. Then I’d take some better pics, that’ll improve your chances

That was fresh after a full valet! 😥

Aye I’m thinking an MOT might be worth a punt, have no doubt it would sail through but as you say it is an unknown.

It seems to me that it’s platforms like this pushing the price of cars up, as you no longer have to pay £20 to get what amounts to a tweet in the Autotrader for a week. And plenty of people are in no rush to sell.

Plenty of fannies willing to pay silly money as well. If it had less doors and a petrol engine it would have been gone long ago.

nealglover
    Free Member

If it had less doors and a petrol engine it would have been gone long ago.

So basically…

“If it was a different car…things would be different”

😉

squirrelking
    Free Member

Well, different spec, you forget it’s a Civic 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Ok so ….

“If it were a more popular model.. It would be more popular”

Better 😉

squirrelking
    Free Member

I suppose. Every days a school day eh?

What I was getting at (apart from pointing out the obvious) is that even if it was held together with hopes, dreams and unicorn tears some idiot would buy it for over a grand. More so if it’s an EG and you can steal it with a Fisher Price injection moulded tool set.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Let people look and then listen to their offers.

Honesty is not the problem, look in Parkers or at other similar cars and judge what you feel like selling it for.

Someone will buy it cheap, repair it themselves and sell on for £200 more.

If it’s too much they’ll go elsewhere.

Marko

I don’t think you’ve much chance of anything over £200 . . .

Get a fresh MOT.
    Get it on the ‘Bay of Fools’.
    Start it at just below the ‘We buy any car’ price.

I’ve just sold a Corsa on the ‘Bay’:
    First week at the price I wanted – lots of stupid questions.No bids
    Second week I dropped the starting price by £200 – more stupid questions. No bids
    Third week priced at ‘trade in’ price (£2000). Sold for £2,400.

Like you I put a long and honest description on the Ad, but emphasised the long MOT and service history.

Hth
    Marko

nealglover
    Free Member

Third week priced at ‘trade in’ price (£2000). Sold for £2,400.

Why did someone pay £2400 if you were selling it for £2000 ?

Are you the best haggler in the world?

Cougar

Test drives are available, wtf? I should hope so too, I wouldn’t waste time viewing a car if I knew I couldn’t have a drive of it.

Out of interest, who’s providing the insurance for that sort of thing?

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you realise now that it’s overpriced?

Anyone interested will have waded through your essay and decided that it doesn’t represent good VFM at £1,000 or anything within the usual haggling zone of that.

Fix any easy bits, maybe get a new MOT and set the price more realistically, and I’m sure it’ll find a buyer.

Marko

Why did someone pay £2400 if you were selling it for £2000 ?

eBay auction – starting price was £2000. Sorry should have made that clear.

Marko

chakaping
    Free Member

Nice.

I’m not the one asking for advice then arguing with everyone who takes the time to try to help me out.

Why carry on bickering with strangers when you could be off selling your 13-year-old heap of crap car?

alanl
    Free Member

I cant sell my old Suzuki Wagon R. 2002, 1 yr MOT, no problems apart from a slightly rumbly clutch release bearing.
    Had it on ebay at £500, no interest at all for 2 weeks, I reduced it to £450 this week, still no interest.
    I thought it would go next day, but not had even one email asking about it.
    Clearly I’m doing something wrong, or people do not want cheap cars.

Marko

@alanl

I’ve sold a few cheap ones on the ‘Bay’ in the past. Always fixed the starting price at the scrap value. Now this was before the likes of ‘we pay you pennies for your pride and joy’ came along, so just price it up with them, knock off a couple of hundred and get it on the Bay.

It’s only worth what someone will pay 😆

Hth
    Marko

Rockape63
    Free Member

If you want to sell your car on EBay put it on at 99p. You might think that is mad, but it’s definitely not! What it does is attract attention and people latch onto hoping for a bargain. But they all bid against each other until the price reaches what it’s worth. As I said earlier I’ve put cars worth £8k on at 99p no reserve and had 215 watchers biding their time.

It might seem scary but trust me it works!

nealglover
    Free Member

What would you have done if the winning bid was £12 though ?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

What would you have done if the winning bid was £12 though ?

Messaged the buyer to tell them he has lost the item, so is no longer for sale.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

First rule of Shill bidding is. You do not talk about shill bidding… 😆

takisawa2

Old Mondeo here, 180k. Starter has gone. Might be DMF, might not. No ill effects before starter packed up.
    Can’t give the thing away. Scrappy will give me £50. WeBuyAnyCar will give me £10.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Please post back when you’ve eventually sold it and let us know how much you received for it.

I’d be genuinely interested.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Am I being too honest?’ is closed to new replies.