Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Am I anti-social rider?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

I always try to avoid group rides, dont get me wrong they are all sound rider chaps that I knew and i have no issues whatsoever rode with them maybe 2x a year …most from facebook social groups or colleagues of colleagues group.. I just don’t like riding in herds bore the shiit out of me ..from time to time I let someone tag along but only because we can share fuel or he/she/they dont mind tagging along and not knowing where im going or end riding… Is this normal? 😐

I have a feeling i’m gonna get flamed 😳

jam-bo

Sounds like it. Did you want a badge?

simmy
    Free Member

Yeah it’s normal, to me anyway.

I don’t like riding with anyone. My riding is my time, my relaxation, my space.

In a big group I always find there is someone who gets on my nerves so I just avoid it.

Lifer
    Free Member

Normal for me!

ton

no, i am like you…..ride by myself 90% of the time.
    but i do like a big get together now and again, to ride with folk i have ridden with in the past.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Ahh .. Its normal then.. Cheers chaps 😉

Jambo, i might not need a badge after all 😀

AlasdairMc

I only ever ride with one or two people and mostly solo. I hate group rides with a lot of faffing around as I’d much rather be pedalling than standing around.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

If you talk/converse as confusingly as you write then I doubt anyone would wish to join you.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I like groups of 2 – 3 people. Anymore and it gets exponentially annoying.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I like riding by myself because then I’m the best in the group.

Really, I like the quiet and the solitude. A man needs solitude from time to time.

benji
    Free Member

Similar to me, I do the odd group ride, but happy riding on my own.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

much prefer soli riding. Sometimes with maybe 3 others.

Hate seeing big groups out riding. Those type of people cant do anything on thier own.

Mole
    Free Member

I’m also a lone wolf when riding or running..precious time for a family man- local group prob take 2-3hrs to do no more than 10 miles off road with all the faff.

scotroutes

The vast majority of my riding is solo. Being out as a larger group is a refreshing change, but I couldn’t do it very often. I know there are times when I feel quicker and times when I am more tired. I make the most of each of these according to my whims. Compromising because others are going through the sames highs and lows tends to slow everyone down.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Don’t mind ether solo or groups.

If I hated going in groups then why would ride with a group and then whine like a little baby?

If you prefer riding on your own then do it!

chvck
    Free Member

I’m happy riding on my own, I’m happy riding with a couple of/few other people (probably prefer that) and I like the odd big group ride but they do tend to have a bit too much faff to be doing too often for me!

Mugboo

I love riding with other people but they all work Mondays, Wed afternoons & Thur mornings. And they don’t like stopping every 1\2 mile to build\assess a trail feature….

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Quite normal from my perspective. Started mountain biking for the solitude and to get away from people.
    The occasional big group ride is fun but I work with people all day so it’s nice to have thinking time.

cakefacesmallblock

I’d say I probably do about half my riding alone, then roughly equally split , the remainder with one or two friends, real good mates who enjoy doing stuff together anyway, then the rest , maybe once a month or so, with those guys and our ‘extended’ group of anything from half a dozen to perhaps ten, sometimes trail centre, but more often than not natural local trails , or further afield .
    To be honest I really do love riding alone, but have no issue otherwise, other than the faff time, especially in winter, with shortened riding times anyway and getting cold quickly, which then extends the faff as folk start adding and removing layers. I reckon it can take up to five minutes for eight folk to put back packs and gloves back on !

benpinnick

I love riding on my own. 90% of my riding is solo. Not that I don’t like riding with others, I just prefer the freedom of solo riding. When I like where I like!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Like most I tend to ride mainly solo and meet a mate out on the trails for 1 out of three rides

I like groups for serious MTB though mainly because it provides someone to get me to casualty.

euans2
    Free Member

I seem to enjoy the ride more when i’m on my own

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t get on that well with group rides either. It tends to end up a bit muck-abouty and silly, either that or very interrupted.

The only group rides I’ve really enjoyed were the couple of Manc Monday night ones I did. Very decent group of people 🙂

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I don’t think you’re antisocial,just enjoying your cycling.
    When I do local rides,just to keep fit mainly on the roadbike I always ride on my own but call in for a brew at friends so I get to be sociable that way.
    When I go out on mountain bike rides I usually ride with two to four others,we have a good rapport & usually end up in a cafe,very sociable.
    I’ve only been on a few large group rides,I don’t enjoy it as much,to much faffing around & for me the large group thing takes away the reason why I’m outdoors.Plus I think it’s less sociable in big groups,I wouldn’t fancy going into a cafe with a ‘coach party’..

beano68
    Free Member

Thank f@@k I’m normal as well !! I enjoy going out by myself, I either chill out on my rides or sometimes I go bonkers.. either way I just prefer it that way.

ricky1
    Free Member

Generally like riding on my own,I hate the standing around measuring dicks and prefer to be doing some riding,being let down at last minute winds me up and changing routes last minute also pisses me off,I have a couple of riders who don’t piss me off and get on with,group riding is for wanna be roadies….

beano68
    Free Member

ricky1 – Member
    Generally like riding on my own,I hate the standing around measuring dicks and prefer to be doing some riding,being let down at last minute winds me up and changing routes last minute also pisses me off,I have a couple of riders who don’t piss me off and get on with,group riding is for wanna be roadies….

+1 🙂

scotroutes

The difference with roadies is that a group ride is mostly just riding. With mountain bikers it’s mostly standing around and chatting. Can you imagine a big road group stopping after every junction and talking inanely about the last bit of tarmac they rode along, or having to get out a fag/energy gel every couple of miles?

ricky1
    Free Member

Thought you were going to flame for that beano68…..phew!

ricky1
    Free Member

Very true scotroutes.

satchm00
    Free Member

I’m 50/50 I like group rides for the banter and copious amounts of cake after, occasionally I like to just mooch/pootle about and find something new on my own.

beano68
    Free Member

lol, na ya safe … like whats been before, groups are a pain in the arse .. always someone or somebody who pushes things and makes the session shite .. Once drove up to Glentress from newcastle to meet up with another group of lads only for them to arrive late and then change the location to inners so packed up and drove back home !

Solo riding now rocks !

timidwheeler

I’ve never been on a group ride. It really doesn’t appeal. Just me/me and my bloke. We did the trail trax series a while back which was fun. Don’t mind having a drink or chat after but I want to ride at my own pace. This is why I really have no interest in guided holidays.

jools182
    Free Member

Too much arsing around and faffing involved in group rides

I’ve been on 3 or 4 mountain bike group rides in my life

Far too much waiting around, and I ride to get away from it all

maccruiskeen

Its normal for me. I’m not an anti-social person but company ruins a ride for me – the idea of a social ride actually fills me with dread, I’d never do it.

I’m always delighted to cross paths with other riders, but its really uncomfortable if my path converges with another rider and I’ll just change my route if they do

chiefgrooveguru

Hate seeing big groups out riding. Those type of people cant do anything on thier own.

I do lots of stuff on my own – riding with a big group of mates is one of my few sociable behaviours!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

99% of my riding is on my own, just prefer it that way
    my pace , my route
    Billy no mates I am 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Given the choice I would rather ride with a couple of good mates, but I rarely am these days..!

Lester
    Free Member

I generally ride with my mates, every tuesday and thursday evening at least.
    there are usually 6 – 10 of us. They are all better riders than me and a lot fitter. In the last year being with my mates has increased my skill and fitness by lot. But every now and again they have to wait for me, its getting shorter and less often 🙂
    my mates are all pretty special riders and its a privilege for me to ride with them, they take time to show me things and appreciate that i will always try something not just chicken out. so i love riding with my group, though im not sure what they would say if you asked them haha

lunge

I too am a lone rider, I think I’ve been out as a group once in the last 12 months. Partly that’s because I like my own space and pace and partly because I tend to be pretty spontaneous about riding and just go leaving little time to organise a group.

I guess if I had a choice I’d go out with some people a little more often but really, I’m quite happy on my lonesome.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Am I anti-social rider?’ is closed to new replies.