Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • AM 41 or alternative?
  • crispo
    Free Member

Looking at AM41’s as sole new winter riding shoes. Anything out there that’s compatible? I’ve been waiting to see if Five ten’s new winter shoe with covers come out soon but can’t find them.

So anything else or go with them?

Thanks

ryderredman
    Free Member

Are you looking for flats? Shimano have a new line. AM7 is the new flat shoe.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Flat(ish) or you can cut the sole for a perfect fit around the pedal, keep the weather out, don’t take 4 days to dry out

Otherwise pop down sports direct and get a decent pair of waterproof gortex / event walking shoes / boots.

My cheapo karimor event boots coped with the worst of the snow last year in the peaks far better than any mtb shoe I’ve ever had.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I have some but they do take forever to dry, worst shoes I’ve ever had for that. The lace cover is good but mine still end up soaking. I’ve got some 2FOs coming, from a look at them I reckon they’ll dry quicker, although they also look like water will get in very easily, given they’re full of holes. (Water getting in doesn’t bother me, merino socks deal with that).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ape, I have 2F0s and they are certainly well ventilated! Great in summer, but in the winter they do let the water in a bit.

A lot actually. 🙂

Waterproof socks solve it, though. Very good shoes otherwise.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Surely the AM41s win by keeping the mud away from the laces? What other shoes do that (for flats)

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve always found decent socks mean wet feet are still warm. If required I can get some sealskins. Good to hear that they’re otherwise decent. Do you notice a slight tilt outwards of the insole to get the legs/knees in a better position?

warpcow
    Free Member

I found the same as thegreatape. AM41s keep a bit of spray off, but when they get properly wet they still take a couple of days to fully dry. Tbh I haven’t noticed much difference between any of the flat shoes I’ve owned (Shimano, Sombrio and Teva). I just aim to keep my feet warm and wet instead.

StuE
    Free Member

Vaude claim these are waterproof
    http://www.vaude.com/en-BE/VAUDE-Bike-Shoe-in-Green-Shape/
    I am going to give them a go when they are available

bartimaeus
    Free Member

AM41 with waterproof socks are fantastic… I’ve used walking boots but I find that they don’t give enough grip. Yes, the AM41s are a nuisance to dry if they get soaked through – but I find stuffing them with old newspaper and putting them in the airing cupboard does the trick… And with waterproof socks it’s not such a bother if they are still a bit damp the next day.

willstaffs
    Free Member

First ride in Am41’s last night, kept my feet dry with normal socks on, quite impressed. I was going to order the new AM9’s but wiggle have the AM41’s on sale at £42 so couldn’t resist.

barrytheflea
    Free Member

Stay away from 5:10 Freeriders, they take forever to dry and have to pass through the mildew stage before they get there.

jairaj

I have some but they do take forever to dry, worst shoes I’ve ever had for that.

You’ve not used 5.10 before, those are far far worse. From all the reviews I’ve read the Shimano AM41 are actually one of the best flat pedal shoes for winter.

I’m certainly very happy with mine. I can only compare them to 5.10 Freeriders and the AM41 are far more practical with more than enough grip on the pedals. In my experience the flap while not totally waterproof, definitely does help to keep water out. Unless they are totally water logged, I find in a warmish place they dry overnight fine. Helps if keep keep the flap and the tongue open.

thegreatape
    Free Member

You’re quite right, I can’t compare them to 5.10s. I think they’re great shoes, no doubt, just the staying wet thing is the only downside.

nickgti
    Free Member

I’m on my second pair of AM41 and I love them, the lace cover does a good job of fending the mud of and makes them easy to clean. Coupled with some sealskinz there perfect for winter. I just fill them with newspaper once there wet take a day to dry.

jairaj

Otherwise pop down sports direct and get a decent pair of waterproof gortex / event walking shoes / boots.

I have those exact same boots, while great for walking, I would hate to use them on the bike.

The sole is far too stiff for me and would give me poor feedback. The rubber compound is also quite hard and the tread pattern has many gaps so I’m not sure would grip the pedal well as many pins wouldn’t be in contact with any rubber.

Probably most importantly they are far too stiff in the ankle and I don’t think I would be able to get my heels down properly or fully move around on the bike.

chiefgrooveguru

The current 5.10 Elements dry out quicker than my old AM40s or Teva Links did. I gather old 5.10s stayed wet for ever!

However, I think the 5.10 sole is stickier than it needs to be and the durability is quite poor. I’ll probably try the AM7s when my Elements wear out…

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Had a few pairs of AM41’s and they’ve been great. They do take an age to dry though. I have 2 pairs on rotation at the moment, which solves that problem. Worth considering if you have the budget.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘AM 41 or alternative?’ is closed to new replies.