Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Aluminium frames and bunnyhopping…
  • DT78
    Free Member

Just finished my latest build, it's been a long time since I've ridden a aluminium hard tail so was just messing about on the street and it makes an awful twanging racket when landing from bunnyhops on tarmac – is this usual?

I've checked all the bolts etc… are tight…

Edric64
    Free Member

spokes? are the wheels a new build too?They twang

DT78
    Free Member

Nope only new bits are saddle/post, frame and headset.

Thought at first the wheel was loose in the dropout but that was fine, as were all the bolts I could spot. Really odd.

mike_check
    Free Member

is your rear mech hitting the dropout? or chain slap can make a racket is its quite a boxy frame!

DT78
    Free Member

Oh….good call… rear mech might be doing it didn't think of that one, I'll check in the morning now.

It's short cage XTR mech setup 1×9 with a pretty short chain so would have thought that would be alright. Got a chainstay protector on as well.

Ragley mmmbop so quite boxy!

Macavity
    Free Member

"awful twanging racket when landing from bunnyhops on tarmac"
    try not to damage the road, somebody has to pay for all those potholes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I wouldnt risk bunnyhopping on an alu frame, theres a fairly high chance it will crack or worse, snap. Alu is best used for light xc riding.

wwaswas

an awful twanging racket when landing

that'll be your knees, Alu frames can be a bit harsh.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldnt risk bunnyhopping on an alu frame, theres a fairly high chance it will crack or worse, snap. Alu is best used for light xc riding.

You're 'aving a laff, right? 😯

It's not the frame material that matters, it's what it's built for, it's intended use! I'd hazzard a guess that 99% of full sussers are alloy, including the big AM, DH and FR bikes! 😀

wwaswas

Alu is best used for light xc riding.

bless.

poppa
    Free Member

"I wouldnt risk bunnyhopping on an alu frame, theres a fairly high chance it will crack or worse, snap. Alu is best used for light xc riding. "

Joke, yah?

samuri
    Free Member

david is in fine form today.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It's not the frame material that matters, it's what it's built for, it's intended use! I'd hazzard a guess that 99% of full sussers are alloy, including the big AM, DH and FR bikes!

Full sussers are alu because aluminium can easily be made into fancy, swoopy shapes by hydroforming or similar. This means they appeal even more to the 'all the gear, no idea' full sus riders who care more about what there bike looks like rather than how it performs.

Full sus is pointless unless your riding world cup dh tracks

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

*thows the troll a buiscuit and a cup of tea, he could be here a while!*

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Full sus is pointless unless your riding world cup dh tracks

Make sure you tell Trek, Specialized, Giant, Orange, Cannondale etc. They might stop making their race FS bikes when they realise the truth…. 8)

poppa
    Free Member
    Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I wouldn't, Its from Evans

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

So you wouldn't bunny-hop one of these then?

Its what looks to be a 'dirt jump' style frame, yet it has a dual chainring setup. They clearly dont have a clue how to spec a bike, let alone build a strong frame? I dont think I could trust it for a bunnyhop.

It also has a white stem and a white saddle – On 2nd thoughts i wouldnt be seen riding it at all.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

**slaps forehead**

cookeaa

Have we been reading a touch too much MBUK?

I've had lots of HT frames in both steel and Aluminium, and never yet managed to crack one of them, they will pretty much all stand up to bunny hops and a fair bit more besides…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To be fair, alloy is the only material I've owned that I've not broken!

mr_mills
    Free Member

I think Kaesae is back, with a new user name!

maxray
    Free Member

i was thinking similar mr_mills 🙂

odannyboy
    Free Member

and as for that carbon fibre stuff, well its only used for little old ladies shoppers as its just to fragile for anything else…. 😯

leggyblonde
    Free Member

chomp chomp chomp.

this is mr taylforth from the show me your radness thread:

wwaswas

on an aluminium alloy frame.

poppa
    Free Member

My sides are splitting.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dont know whats so funny, the frame failed shortly after that jump and I landed head first into some humble pie. That was in 2007 I think, havent ridden an alloy bike since then.

poppa
    Free Member

Ok, my bad. I thought you were just winding us up, and that you actually jumped alu frames everyday or something.

lcj

davidtaylforth – Member

You see when I read this at first it seemed quite drole. I read your following posts and it seems you're serious. 😯

cookeaa

It only failed because it was made from old filing cabinets…

Still talking cobblers…

wwaswas

he was only doing gentle xc on it anyway.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

he was only doing gentle xc on it anyway.

That is relatively gentle xxc. The problem with alot of people on here is they are too 'closed minded' to alot of the new emerging riding styles, they are still stuck in the 90's where xc involved traipsing round a muddy field.

Open your minds people, for the good of our sport

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

So you had one faulty Aluminium frame. And from this you extrapolate that all Aluminium frames are weak!?

I'm sorry, but the world's leading DH bike manufacturers disagree with you.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I just rode off a kerb and it snapped…….honest Mr.

wwaswas

That is relatively gentle xxc

so Alu's not even any good for xc either?

'new riding styles' equals showing your pants when on the bike and having to walk like you've got rickets to keep your trews up off it I take it, because there's nothing much new under the sun when it comes to bicycles.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I think GillianTaylforth is having a bad day.

What a load of cobblers.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A little ditty I made up (a materials engineer thought it was "pretty good")

"if it goes ping, it won't ding"

Flick a steel tubed frame, it will give off a nice pinging noise

Flick an alloy one, its a dull thudding sound.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

my alloy one pings more than my inbred :-p

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Theres always one. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Aluminium frames and bunnyhopping…’ is closed to new replies.