Home Forums Bike Forum Alp d’huez accomodation

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alp d’huez accomodation
  • squealer
    Free Member

hoping that someone here has a recommendation for us from experience as we’ve never been before.

I’m looking for an apartment/chalet or maybe even just a room for a couple of nights (maybe 3 nights?) for up to 4 of us in July 2024.  2 of us will be riding the area (including the mega course) so will have bikes and the other two will be sightseers.

Would ideally like something nice and comfortable with bike storage facilities and walkable to eating places.

any suggestions?

thanks!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Might not be exactly what you are looking for, but there are chalet style options at this campsite in Allemond.  Simple to get to Oz Station on using the new gondola.  Couple of bars and restaurants near by.

https://www.campinglegrandcalme.com/

chrismac

Wrong accommodation, we were camping, but staying in Allemond was definitely a great move, you can get the new lif up and have the benefit of the huge hydro lake to swim in and the warmth in the evenings of being several hundred meters lower. Plus imho all the best trails go from alp D’huez down anyway

Northwind

For the mega we stayed at the Pierre and Vacances place down near the airstrip. On the one hand, it’s in an awkward location- the climb up to the lift station felt brutal to start every ride, and ending every ride with a chilly tarmac descent wasn’t much better. But it’s fine for access to the main bit of town, we walked in for food no bother. It’s quite basic, and while our rooms were fine the balcony was falling apart a bit, all cracked concrete. But that’s kind of ideal for biking, they didn’t give a crap about us rolling in covered in mud and wheeling bikes into the living room. So this is one of those sort of half-assed recommendations where you can’t say anything was brilliant or even great but it all worked out really well just by being OK.

Are you set on alp d’huez? The new bottom lift opens up the lower trails a lot but it’s still imo not that good as a location, I’ll go back if we race there again but otherwise, locally I’d go over to les 2 alpes which is a much nicer town and a better riding location for most things. Less locally, I’ve not been to enough of the alternatives to recommend but I’d definitely rather stay at Les Arcs than Huez, it’s a much better hub for other resorts.

andrewh
    Free Member

When I did the Mega I camped in the underground car park to get out of the weather!

More helpfully, the weather can be very different in Allemont, it’s not a bad shout

nuke

Couple of summers ago we stayed in an apartment in ‘Oz 3300’ and it was overlooking the lift…accidental really but was very handy and a great holiday. We just got a week pass and went up & down to Alpe d’Huez, Allemond, Vaujany etc. Marked trails back from the poutran/dmc station to the apartment including being able to do the switchback section of the mega through the woods (the section after the short pedally hill bit) then just take a right when it drops back on to the double-track back to Oz apartments or continue down on the mega route all the way to Allemond and get the telecabin straight back to Oz from there

squealer
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’d not thought about stopping in allenond so will take a look there instead.

This stop is part of a tour hence only a couple of days there and why we’re not staying in les arcs instead. I’m basically taking my eldest there to do the mega trail and then we’ll move on.

squealer
    Free Member

Just back from out little tour of a few alpine destinations – Allemont was a highlight so wanted to say thanks again for the recommendations. Highly recommended to anyone visiting that area.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.