Home Forums Bike Forum Alloy stem lifespan (Thomson)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Alloy stem lifespan (Thomson)
  • pedlad

Just pondering that the Thomson stem on my bigger/full sus bike is on it’s third frame and probably best part of 16 years old….do these things degrade/need retiring like climbing gear would be?

honourablegeorge

Thomson do consider their stem face plates as consumable, don’t they? They recommend replacing them.

bitmuddytoday
    Free Member

I have a similar age Thomson stem. I’m not concerned about the stem failing. More that Thomson use particularly small bolts compared to almost anyone else. Maybe I should change them at some point.

andrewh
    Free Member

I have been riding since the mid-90s. I have seen one stem break in all that time, an old quill stem which went at the vertical weld, luckily just pulling away from a junction so very slow speed.

I have seven Thomson stems on my bikes, and a similar number of their seatposts. Never had any cause for concern with any of them, all secondhand and I’ve had them for ages.

Yak

I haven’t snapped one, but as above, Thomson are known for faceplate/bolt lifespan issues, so maybe replace those. I wouldn’t have thought the main stem body would be much of an issue.  Or for peace of mind, go all in with a new stem/bar combo? I have broken one stem before though but that was an ultralight thing. Thomsons are a league heavier/ more durable than that.

somafunk

Faceplate/bolt issues are due to ham fisted idiots, whether that be by over torquing or crossing the threads, misalignment of the top/bottom faceplate gaps or merely using shit hex keys and rounding out the bolt heads.

Flame away…….

mashr

Nope, quite right. Thomson have even said so themselves, in slightly more polite language. The reason for moving to needing a smaller tool is that they hoped it would stop people swinging off them (and snapping the face plate)

Northwind

Still a problem that only Thomson really had, even compared to lighter stems. Even if it’s solely user error, if your product has more problems with user error than competitors (most of which are cheaper to boot) then it’s a failing.

Much like their seatposts “they bend instead of snapping”, no they bend when other things don’t get damaged at all.

noltae
    Free Member

Fitted new bars to a Thomson stem. Took bike out for a test ride to dial in bar position and realised my multi tool didn’t have small enough Allen for stem – Grrr . Stupid tiny stem bolts on those Thomsons..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.