Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Aliens (of the USE kind)
  • whippersnapper
    Free Member

I came by owning one of these seat posts on a second hand bike I bought last year but it’s giving me a little bit of grief. Does anyone have any tips for getting it tight enough so the saddle doesn’t tip back at all? I have looked around and keeping them tight does seem to be a bit of a problem. Or is it a question of me being a bit porky for it (84ish kg)? And I assuming it is not faulty. Any tips greatly appreciated, ta.

It is a 270mm 27.2 ti one by the way, if anyone has a longer version they’d want to swap it for that would also be grand – then I can fall off backwards from a greater height.

PaulD
    Free Member

I have one of these and it has given me no trouble.

I assembled it dry (unlike others where I use copper grease) and made sure I had an excellent fit with a good allen key, and not use a ball-ended key.

Ideally they should come with a torx bolt, but hey-ho, penny-pinching again.
    I will get one if I have any trouble.

PaulD

whippersnapper
    Free Member

cheers Paul, is yours the newer single bolt version – I forgot to mention mine is the older two tiny bolt version.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Dreadful post, light though.

Could never easily adjust the angle or saddle position using it. I too had the older two bolt version.

fasthaggis

I had one like in the photo,the shock part worked ok ,but the rest was sh*te.
    The 3mm screws for adjusting and locking the tilt were a faff to set up ( and would seize up in the threads). It finally snapped off where it joined the post.
    I have the Sumo version now ,which is much better ( although it still has the swivel movement,which can be annoying sometimes)
    Have been looking at a Thudbuster ATM (probably a better suss post),but can’t get past how ugly they are

mike_p
    Free Member

The old two bolt system is the worst, most pointless piece of design ever to be applied to a bike.

fasthaggis

Edit < Like Paul I assembled it dry and even roughened up the faces.It has never tilted back or forward,I meant to say that the swivel ,is the side to side motion that they all have > Edit 🙂

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I assembled mine dry. When I first got it I thought the saddle had seized on as it was ti on ti and refused to budge. About 2 miles from home having completed the Dunwich Dynamo last year there was an almighty crack and the saddle flipped up – at least it wasn’t seized. Anyway, put it back together (dry) and it did the same thing on monday. The cracking noise is quite scary, I thought the frame had given up.

So, I doubt anyone wants to swap it for a longer one then 🙂

rootes1

Have been looking at a Thudbuster ATM (probably a better suss post),but can’t get past how ugly they are

how about an ST? neater but not as much travel – ST on left

PaulD
    Free Member

I do have the newer single-bolt version.

PaulD

turboferret

I had some issues with an Alien slipping, and IIRC I managed to snap a part of the clamp. My LBS ordered me the cyclops clamp which uses a larger central bolt instead of the 2 3mm bolts. Never had any issues since and didn’t cost much for the new clamp.

Cheers, Rich

fasthaggis

Good shout Rootes
    The ST does look a bit better.
    I don’t want much travel ,just enough to get rid of trail buzz and take the edge of any big hits 🙂

Lucas
    Free Member

You could try some of that carbon assembly paste between the rotating bits. I had one of these years ago on a trek 8700 (stolen) and it was fine – I was more svelt then.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

turboferret that’s not a bad idea – although I still need a longer one.

even sveltererer though this year Lucas.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Aliens (of the USE kind)’ is closed to new replies.