Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Alfine 8 spares? roller clutch split :(
  • ontor
    Free Member

Having a crappy time with bike bits, forks have failed, headset is finally worn-out & after discovering my singlespeed hub was cracked I took the alfine apart for a service and the roller cage on the end roller clutch is split.

I’ve trawled the internet and found nowhere to get spares but a new hub is financially out of the question at the moment so before I sit in the corner and sob, does anyone have any sources for spares or an old/broken alfine 501 for breaking?

druidh
    Free Member

Ask any Shimano dealer (i.e. any LBS) if they can order the part from Madison. I think it’s Y34R 98050.

The only seller I could find online is German
    http://www.ersatzteile-fahrrad.de/products/Schaltwerke-Umwerfer/Schaltung-Zubehoer/Zubehoer-Schaltungsteile/KUPPLUNGSEINHEIT-SG-8R20.html

Burchy1
    Free Member

Joe, I believe Jim has a part broken alfine 8 hub so he may have the bits you need (unless the bit you want is what he bust too).

I’ll send you his email in a bit.
    Dave

coatesy
    Free Member

If you confirm the part no. required using shimanotechdocs, i’ll check price and availability for you.

ontor
    Free Member

Awesome Burchy!

Druidh, thank you very much for the supplier, I’m afraid it’s not that clutch. The part is not listed but sits at the left-hand end of the carrier unit in that drawing, unless they’re the same clutch unit of course which would make sense from an engineering perspective but sadly reparability doesn’t seem to be the thing with the big S

ontor
    Free Member

the roller clutch in question is this one;

on the end of the carrier frame, which you can see on the left end of the picture below;

ontor
    Free Member

@ coatesy Cheers, at the moment it looks like being Y-36W98030

coatesy
    Free Member

Can’t locate anything on Madison’s site, so sent an e-mail to their tech support team. Will post back when I get a reply.

IanMunro
    Free Member

There’s two versions of the Alfine inner. I had one of the bearings explode on the older version, but the newer internal gubbins drops in fine.

singlespeedstu

When you replace the roller clutch bearing make sure you get the little spring that activates it connected up correctly.

If you clean all the grease off the end of the clutch you’ll see a tiny cutout in the plastic.
    The square end of the spring locates in there.
    The other end locates in a small hoop in the metal casting.
    If you’re carefull when you remove the spring clip to get the plastic cage off you’ll see where the spring sits.

ontor
    Free Member

Ian – I have the 501 which is supposedly newer/better etc and having had it apart a few times for cleaning etc it really is a nice bit of kit, except for this one really poor bit of design. That plastic part has an injection point at the thinnest, weakest part of the cage and so naturally it’s here that there is a failure. It’s not a plastic that glues well which is a bit of a bugger, else I’d be tempted to try that.

I have had it all apart this morning into component parts and I bodged a repair, but I’m getting a reluctant take-up in 1st due to not being able to fully tension the pre-load spring (that you identify stu) because of the cracked roller cage.

With a bit of luck I’ll source a spare and we’ll be away. – Thanks for the efforts coatesy!

singlespeedstu

That roller clutch should not effect the drive in the first 4 gears.
    It only drives through that clutch in gears 4-8
    Gears 1-4 are driven by the larger cluth with the metal cage.

ontor
    Free Member

Sorry stu, I meant to write 8th.

walleater

On a related note, anyone know the difference between the A8 internals above, and this one:

I’ve serviced loads of the version that I posted, but only one of the OPs. Shimano mention two slightly different model codes but don’t mention any differences.

singlespeedstu

As far as I’m aware the only difference is the newer version has a roller clutch.
    The pic you posted looks like the roller clutch version i have.

coatesy
    Free Member

Afraid Madison don’t carry the part you need, guess your choice is with the Germans, second-hand, or the entire unit.

ontor
    Free Member

Bugger. I rather thought that’d be the case. Much appreciated Coatesy. I’ll be straight to you if I need a bit you can order.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Alfine 8 spares? roller clutch split :(’ is closed to new replies.