Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Akrigg – anyone better?
  • Superficial
    Free Member

Danny MacAskill has been massively influential. He burst onto an already-established scene (street trials) and just killed it. He was / is an order of magnitude better than the next best riders and basically turned the scene on its head, and got it noticed by the wider MTB audience (as well as the non-cycling world). He made everything bigger, faster, more technical and more creative than before.

Akrigg has brought his undeniable trials skills to a new environment. He’s done stuff no one has thought to do before and he has an eye for some very creative lines. In the past, a lot of what he’s done has just been riding trials on the ‘wrong’ bike, although this most recent video does extend that a bit – he’s definitely growing into riding that Mongoose and using the potential of a full sus bike more. I just can’t shake the feeling that a lot of his lines would be easier and less impressive on a proper trials bike, and the best riding videos are about pushing the boundaries of what’s possible, not what’s possible on a particular bike*.

I love Akrigg, but put it this way: I bet Danny could turn his hand to what Akrigg does, but the reverse would never happen.

*Although I accept that road bike party was the coolest video of recent years.

mikey74
    Free Member

I love Akrigg, but put it this way: I bet Danny could turn his hand to what Akrigg does, but the reverse would never happen.

That as maybe, but surely aren’t the points of these videos to A) sell products, and B) inspire people to go ride (see A). I’d say Akrigg’s videos do a better job of that than Danny Mac’s**

** Please note: I am a big fan of Danny Mac.

badbob
    Free Member

both are amazing! and very different skill sets, would be ace to see danny do more mtb/chris style riding ( RE: mojo diaries)

both take amazing lines, a lot of imagination!

badbob
    Free Member

and tbh, ONLY the last danny video was big budget? am sure chris would of jumped at the chance!

justme
    Free Member

something very special about being able to ride over a style- yes its a footpath but its all rideable including the style genius G

AlexSimon

Macavity
    Free Member

Thomas Ohler?

Macavity
    Free Member
    GaVgAs
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to take anything away from Danny because Akrigg, financially speaking, hasn’t achieved the same

There both superb riders, and the more i have met Danny mac the more i understand the mindset needed to ride at that level,After chatting with Danny on saturday night at the Michael Bonney fundraiser, he comes across as a level headed normal type of guy,very loyal to his sponsors and fully aware of the lifestyle and opportunities fame and very good marketing has given him.

Chris Akriggs films are bang on the money in terms of how his skills can be related to the terrain encountered out on the trails, and this has to be a good thing for mongoose as it illustrates just how good modern day bikes really are.

Dannys marketing/managment team would do well to follow this strategy, as cycling on a whole needs good ambassadors like him and Chris to push the boundaries further while retaining the “real world” format of filming,and riding in the countryside or urban city riding.

Macavity
    Free Member

Simon

[video]http://vimeo.com/65594311[/video]

AlexSimon

Hadn’t caught that one before Simon – thanks!

stavromuller
    Free Member

I think all the above would give a big “nod” to Hans Ray, the real pioneer. Danny’s skills take my breathe away but Chris’s make me wish I was a better rider.

Simon

I love watching Akrigg’s videos, they make me want to go out and ride!
    For me the fact that he’s local to me has something to do with it, many of the locations he uses I ride week in week out. And seeing him come back from serious injury was inspirational.
    And on the odd occasion I’ve bumped into him he’s taken the time to chat, very down to earth and comes across as a nice bloke.

Macavity
    Free Member
    Macavity
    Free Member

“Akrigg – anyone better?”

probably not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVxjlO7-05M

Macavity
    Free Member

richmtb

Loving this thread, keep the vids coming.

For me Danny is the better rider technically but Chris makes better use of his “environment”

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Akrigg – anyone better?’ is closed to new replies.