• This topic has 102 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by cp.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • Airwolf T1000 29er carbon hardtail. Thoughts.
  • martinwilly
    Free Member

I bought a Niner SIR 9 complete bike from a friend. It was too small. I’m an idiot.

I tried to sell the bike on here but no takers.

So I sold the frame for £400 and bought an Airwolf T1000 from ebay. £300 plus £80 customs charges.

I’m delighted with it.

It arrived sooner than the earliest estimated date. Packaging was neat and thorough.

unboxing

Included were:

– rear thru-axle. Very nice quality. Hex key fastening with locking cap at the other side (smaller hex key).

– Headest, which dropped in easily and is smooth with no movement / knocking.

– BB to suit my Shimano cranks. You can select / ask for something different. It’s press-fit into the carbon shell. Went in fine with the press. Do not over-tighten!

– Spare drop-outs / hanger.

There are guide lines for shifter cables and brake hose through the frame. All went in easily. Brakes are round the wrong way but it was easy to redirect the hose to the other side.

The brake hose is routed over the BB. It rattles in the downtube but I can sort that out.

There’s an access cover for the shifter cables under the BB. It’s neat. Held on with a screw. Annoyingly I lost this cover somewhere on the South Downs. I should have used threadlock. However, I contacted Airwolf and they replied straight away. They checked the frame type, asked for the colour I wanted, sent me a paypal invoice for a nominal sum and have dispatched a replacement. They are proud of their products and they want happy customers.

bb

I’ve ridden the bike for four hours now. 90 minutes on the South Downs and the rest around Peaslake. I’ve descended rattly stony tracks as fast as I can. I’ve done such jumps as I have bravery for, including misjudging one badly and slamming the rear wheel into top of what should have been the landing bump. The bike is fun, fast, light and above all solid.

I happened to check the bolts on the hangers before my second ride. All were loose and one was nearly out. Again: use threadlock.

downs

bike

Maybe worth saying that I have been racing TTs on a chinese carbon frame for three seasons. I’ve ridden fast and I have hit bumps on Surrey’s roads hard. The bike has been brillant and I have been delighted since the moment it arrived. That was from Tideace. I would say this Airwolf bike is significantly better even that that.

Word of warning. I chose matte paint for the TT frame. It is impossible to keep clean. I’ve got glossy on the 29er: much better.

damascus
    Free Member

I think your far better going for a cheap Chinese branded carbon frame and fork than no brand.

No branded stuff can fail and you can’t put feed back on the Internet to help others. At least when it’s a brand you can Check for feedback and they will try and fix issues (hopefully)

Then, they build a good reputation like winspace and can increase prices.

The bike looks good. Let us know how you get on after a longer period of time.

jkomo

Comically bad name is my thoughts.
    Frame looks fine.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Looks nice apart from the old skool geo.

martinwilly
    Free Member

Will do.

martinwilly
    Free Member

Geometry is almost identical to Trek Xcaliber, as far as I can tell.

damitamit
    Free Member

Great post. Been looking at these today (and other chinese carbon 29er options).

Its a copy of a SB highball right? And their T1100 hardtail looks to be the same geo as a Epic HT, but seems overpriced compared to the SpCycle SP-M05 (looks to be the same frame).

How long did it take to arrive?

martinwilly
    Free Member

It’s odd how that aspect tends to be awful isn’t it.

I’m not to fussed.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I see you can get a black one for £265 delivered but +duty on eBay

Looks like a sc highball copy.

Is the rear wheel in straight? No play in the dropouts? Does it have alloy dropouts our moulded in?

FOG

I have been staring at their carbon forks for awhile for a lightweight build. I had been put off in the past by STW comments on needing extreme dental work after buying Chinese carbon but buying from an actual company rather than anonymous eBay chancer seems to be the way to go.
    The fork I am looking at is £200 cheaper than a UK market item which looks the same as the Airwolf

simon_g

Oooh, looks ace in orange. I got gloss black, done several rides on it and really happy. No it’s not super modern slack geometry but it’s a good XC setup. I put the geo numbers on geometry-geeks if you want to compare (yes, it’s very similar to a SC Highball).

I used the jagwire mini pipe lagging on the cables (glad I did – no noises at all) and went full length outer for rear mech – tricky to get in but just enough space for it. Both go over the BB rather than using that access panel.

damitamit
    Free Member

I was thinking gloss black too. Got any pics? How long did it take to arrive?

Has it got internal dropper post routing?

martinhutch

Comically bad name

Don’t mind it, but then, I’m a sucker for nicking names off my childhood popular TV shows and films!

Quite like the look of it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nice 👍

I’m umming and ahhing over one as I’ve got a Lefty on a Prophet that could be shortened and repurposed. Although the cost of a stiffer spring and updated damper pushes it into budget RS/Fox territory and would be heavier.

Looks nice apart from the old skool geo.

69deg is still pretty average.

Personally I’m struggling to gell with longer/slacker geometry clipped in and on the rivet. The slightly nervy descending is made up for by the front wheel grip on tigter single-track. I don’t have the same issue on a trail bike with flats though. I think it’s just that fractionally different foot position and how it affects weight distribution.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I really like the look of these, I just wish they did one with more progressive geometry.

martinwilly
    Free Member

Thank you.

I’m not sure what they have cheekily copied.

It took one month to arrive. 30 days.

martinwilly
    Free Member

I was after XC geometry and this frame is very similar to this year’s Trek Xcaliber although Trek has 71.9 head tube angle whereas the Airwolf has 69.5. That suits me fine.

martinwilly
    Free Member

What utter crap we used to watch (and love). I assume A-Team and Airwolf and the like are no longer acceptable.

martinwilly
    Free Member

Wheel is in straight. Still solid after 50k of single-track.

Drop-outs are machined aluminium held on with two little recessed grub screws per dropout.

Bike comes with spares of each.

nickc

I really like the look of these, I just wish they did one with more progressive geometry.

Can they hurry up and make a copy of the Yeti ARC

allanoleary
    Free Member

Can they hurry up and make a copy of the Yeti ARC

I’d have one in a shot! I’m still umming and aahing over a new frame and the ARC is up there

Clink

I was after XC geometry and this frame is very similar to this year’s Trek Xcaliber although Trek has 71.9 head tube angle whereas the Airwolf has 69.5. That suits me fine.

Nah – you’ve quoted seat tube angle (which seems slack?) – both are 69.5 ha.

simon_g

I was thinking gloss black too. Got any pics? How long did it take to arrive?

Has it got internal dropper post routing?

Several weeks but that was when there was still a lot of COVID disruption with shipping in the autumn. Yes, internal dropper is fine, can get from seat to down tubes and pops out by thr headtube.

martinwilly
    Free Member

I don’t think I have.

Both the T1000 and the Xcaliber have seat tube angle of 73.

bonzodog
    Free Member

@martinwilly – looks great, especially for the money.

Thanks for posting.

martinwilly
    Free Member

Looks nice. You happy?

How was the BB installation?

addy6402

I like the look of this. Could you please tell us what rear rim/tyre you’re running and an idea of clearance? Thanks

martinwilly
    Free Member

They’re Maxxis Ikon 3C, 2.35.

Frame says max tyre size is 2.4 and there’s ample clearance on the Maxxis.

dyna-ti

Very nice, and if as you say you’ve put it through some knocks and its held up then jobs a good un so to speak.
    Do you do the Airwolf theme tune while cycling ?.
    Da.d.d.d.da dd.d.da.da.d.da.da.dd.da…..

dan7887
    Free Member

Hi, what are the dropouts like on the frame? Does the axle pass through the frame or does the hanger/drop bolt onto some tabs coming of the chain/seat stay?

I ask this as I just snapped this part of my BXT 29er!

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

martinwilly
    Free Member

Yep, the dropouts bolt onto tabs just as you describe.

I had hoped the mech hanger would be sufficiently weak to fail and protect the tab.

Sorry for your break. I hope it had a good life. I also hope it doesn’t happen to me!

Was it a big crash?

martinwilly
    Free Member

BB installation was fine. I used a bearing press and did one at a time. Tight fit but went in without issues and has not budged or squeaked since.

I’m afraid I turned the press a fraction of a turn too far and was rewarded with a horrible “crack” noise. There’s no evidence of an issue. I would go with the steel threaded BB shell next time. I personally do not expect a next time. I think I’ll be riding this until I need an e-bike.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I’ve gone for one of these! £240 -5% quidco on aliexpress. Lets hope for a smooth passage through customs.

I went for the 142 rear end, as I didn’t like the look of the boost dropouts – on the NDS there is no alloy piece, on the DS it seems to be odd in that it threads into an alloy piece on the inside not the outside. The chinertown thread says someone has a problem with the NDS wearing on the boost frame causing alignment issues.

The 142 dropouts look much more substantial.

dan7887
    Free Member

@martinwilly

Thanks for advice, my frame lasted over 2 years of racing/riding.

I didn’t crash but put it down to the Mech going into the wheel and the force of the pedal stroke during this weakening it.

Still managed a few rides after until the tab broke.

wzzzz
    Free Member

@martinwilly @simon_g what BB are you using in the pf30 shell? Did it come with something?

I ordered one of these, shall see how long it lasts.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_ufnI3y

But I think I might end up with glueing one of the alloy adapter shells in there

simon_g

SRAM dub for me, I put NX Eagle 12sp on mine. No issues.

wzzzz
    Free Member
    simon_g

I’m on useless campsite wifi so that’s not loading – ordered pf30, 73mm wide.

martinwilly
    Free Member

Boom! That’s exciting. Painted or black?

I am using the BB that came with it.

I think that’s a good idea to glue in a threaded sleeve.

Remember to dab some threadlock on the BB cover bolt. Also probably on the drop-out screws.

martinwilly
    Free Member

I’ve got the 142.

So long as those tabs hold out the arrangement looks robust.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.