Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Airstrikes – why not drones?
  • binners

The good guys will have had their leaflets through well in advance anyway, and will have retired to a safe distance to read books about democracy and multiculturalism

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How do you bomb a oil well without making it blow up, or unusable in the future?

This is where I would have thought it would make absolute sense to send some ground troops in with a key to turn the well off?

natrix
    Free Member

It’s highly classified.

Probably in the same file as the one on the Iraq WMDs………….

dazh

That is a damned impressive sensor that can distinguish civilians from ‘bad guys’

I’ve a pretty good idea how it works. It has a high resolution camera with face recognition technology, it then runs the images through an algorithm that goes something like…

1. Is the skin colour brown or white?
    2. If brown, is a beard present?
    3. If yes, bombs away!

ahwiles
    Free Member

natrix – Member

That is a damned impressive sensor that can distinguish civilians from ‘bad guys’

it’s a camera.

thousands of miles away, someone is watching the live-feed, trying to measure beard-length from the screen with a tape measure.

edit: it appears dazh and i have achieved mind-meld.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Funky from what I understand they are atacking refinery, storage facilities and transport trucks. Those with experience will be able to tell from arial photograpghs which parts of the facility to attack.

jambalaya
    Free Member

So are these civilian children or terrorists ? syrian observatory for human rights says since Jan this year 1,100 children have been trained as Jihadists with at least 50 of them killed whilst fighting

BFM

jimjam
    Free Member

dazh

I’ve a pretty good idea how it works. It has a high resolution camera with face recognition technology, it then runs the images through an algorithm that goes something like…

1. Is the skin colour brown or white?
    2. If brown, is a beard present?
    3. If yes, bombs away!

ahwiles

thousands of miles away, someone is watching the live-feed, trying to measure beard-length from the screen with a tape measure.

You both have fanciful ideas and seem prone to over complicating things.

Military aged male? Check. Good to go!
    Female holding a baguette RPG? Good to go.
    Dwarf insurgents engaged in hand holding circular dance maneuvers? Clear to engage.

Edited due to narrowness.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Military aged male? good to go!

Far roo narrow, many women actively involved in recruiting and planning attacks plus kids as above, see my link the photo comes from IS propoganda

slowoldman

I assume drones dont carry enough weapons

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34973203

“Using jets allows more missiles to be used on a single mission,”

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not really …. the bad guys always wear black shirts don’t they? Or is that just in cowboy fillums?

binners

Far roo narrow, many women actively involved in recruiting and planning attacks plus kids as above

….

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Jam – radio 4 last night said they were going for well heads…. Of course who’s to say that’s true

sweaman2
    Free Member

How do you bomb a oil well without making it blow up, or unusable in the future?

Quite often oil wells are running on artificial lift (i.e you’re pulling the oil out of the ground using pumps etc). Take away this and it’ll just stay in the ground.

LHS
    Free Member

Main reason is how many weapons they can take with them and the speed of action. A bombing strike will usually be coordinated with intelligence being collected by drones and satellite as a lot of targets are constantly in flux.

The missiles / Laser Guided Bombs they are carrying weigh around 50kg. A drone can only carry a couple of these whilst a Tornado can carry usually around 10 coupled with other defensive armaments on board.

Being able to strike 10 targets at a time will have a greater impact on derailing the movements of ISIS targets than 1 or 2 at a time.

legend
    Free Member

The missiles / Laser Guided Bombs they are carrying weigh around 50kg.

230kg for a Paveway IV

LHS
    Free Member

Was thinking more of Brimstone which is what they are mainly using on the Tornados.

Northwind

LHS – Member

Was thinking more of Brimstone which is what they are mainly using on the Tornados.

Dude, they claim they’re going to avoid using them on civilians but they can’t even avoid using them on their own planes? That’s jacked up.

LHS
    Free Member

I don’t understand that last comment.

wilburt
    Free Member

They used these..

Paveway IV is an advanced and highly accurate weapon that provides the RAF’s strike force with a state-of-the-art precision guided bombing capability. Manufactured by Raytheon Systems Ltd, UK, Paveway IV entered into Service in November 2008. Paveway IV will become the backbone of the RAF’s Air-to Surface bombing capability and it will replace the Paveway II and Enhanced Paveway II weapon systems as well as the 1000lb unguided general purpose bomb. Equipped with the latest Inertial Navigation and Global Positioning System technology and a 500lb warhead, Paveway IV provides a low-cost, all-weather, 24-hour precision bombing capability able to defeat the majority of general-purpose targets.

Paveway IV weapon detonating in airburst mode Paveway IV significantly increases the RAF’s capability to deliver precision effects matched to the target set. The weapon is cockpit-programmable and allows the aircrew to select weapon impact angle, attack direction and fuzing mode to detonate in airburst, impact or post-impact delay modes. The fuze minimizes collateral damage through the ability to detonate the weapon when buried or partially buried, and is fitted with a ‘Late-Arm’ safety functionality that will not allow an off-course munition to arm. The warhead is also designed to meet the latest requirements of NATO Insensitive Munition safety policy.

The increased accuracy of the system allows for a warhead half the size of the earlier Paveway weapons. The lighter Paveway IV’s provides greater flexibility giving the potential for a single aircraft to carry more weapons and so strike multiple targets in a single pass. The weapon can be reprogrammed with target data by the aircrew while airborne by using data from on-board sensors or from Forward Air Controllers on the ground. Paveway IV also retains the legacy laser guidance capability of its predecessors.

Paveway IV computer graphic illustration

Other improvements over older weapons include less drag, greater accuracy, higher resistance to GPS jamming, better supportability, zero maintenance, lower cost and improved safety signatures. The weapon went straight onto an operational footing after its introduction into service being carried by Harrier GR9 in Afghanistan. It was later integrated onto Tornado GR4 with outstanding success on missions in both Afghanistan and Libya. Integration onto Typhoon F2 is underway and Paveway IV is also a candidate weapon for integration onto Joint Combat Aircraft.

Photography:

Tornado GR4 carrying Qty 5 Paveway IV weapons.

Paveway IV weapon detonating in airburst mode.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Dude, they claim they’re going to avoid using them on civilians but they can’t even avoid using them on their own planes? That’s jacked up.

😀

🙁

go back and re-read it…

wilburt
    Free Member

Those brimstones cost 150k each, thats a few teachers/nurses/plod per bang so i hope they keep em for special occasions.

ninfan
    Free Member

thats a few teachers/nurses/plod per bang

Well, if you only want to employ them for a year.

slowoldman

Do you not recall the images of the oilfields alight in the last Gulf War?

mrblobby
    Free Member

The mainstay of Daesh’s financial income is derived from exploitation of a number of oilfields that they hold. These are overwhelmingly located in Daesh’s heartlands in eastern Syria.

Who’s buying the oil? Assuming it’s foreign cash from somewhere.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Who’s buying the oil? Assuming it’s foreign cash from somewhere.

Iraqis
    Turkey – fiercely denied but been detailed accusations for over 12 months
    Assad – on the basis IS back off from attacking the government

Also Daesh ceased over $500m in cash from the Mosul central bank

yunki
    Free Member

Anyone else noticed that our own fuel prices have been rather reasonable at the pump lately?

Duffer
    Free Member

crashtestmonkey – Member

go back and re-read it…

It still doesn’t make sense.

wilburt
    Free Member

Saudi is in meltdown, price fixing through opec has fallen apart and there all (including russia) swamping the market. I’m not sure who exactly is driving that but it isnt IS.

I’ve just moved my pension which is the only thing I have apart from the roof over my head worth a hoot out of fossil fuels as I tthink we’re done with the stuff at least in historical quantities.

munrobiker
    Free Member

North wind has made the most intelligent comment on this thread. As a bonus it was funny and has shown up the chumps.

I assume jambalaya is summoning his “Northwind, what are you talking about?” post now.

wilburt
    Free Member

Nah, whilst others got their numbers wrong the basic answer to the question is tornados can carry more weight than reapers. They (MOD) are also going to extra ordinary lengths to minimise innocent casualties.

CaptJon
    Free Member

What extra are they doing?

Duffer
    Free Member

North wind has made the most intelligent comment on this thread. As a bonus it was funny and has shown up the chumps.

Northwind was referring to a Turkish F16 deliberately shooting down a Russian SU24 with Air-to-air munitions. This somehow prooves that RAF Tornados crews using ground-attack munitions will accidentally do likewise.

He has certainly identified some chumps, but they are not the ones you think.

wilburt
    Free Member

The Guardian is reporting we are using Hurricanes!

The Ministry of Defence confirmed that oilfields in the country were targeted by two Typhoons and two Hurricanes, continuing the strategy of attempting to cut off the terrorist group’s access to sources of funding.

More details soon…

wilburt
    Free Member

MOD statement…

Latest update
    Daesh terrorists have again been struck by Royal Air Force aircraft, with Typhoon fighters flying their first missions over Syria and Iraq.
    During the evening of Friday 4 December, Tornado GR4s and Typhoon FGR4s, based at RAF Akrotiri, conducted a further series of strikes on targets in the very large Daesh-controlled oilfield at Omar in eastern Syria. As with the attacks on 3 December which immediately followed the Parliamentary decision to extend offensive air operations to Syrian airspace, the Tornados and Typhoons used Paveway IV guided bombs to hit wellheads, thus cutting off the terrorists’ oil revenue at the very source. Eight attacks were carried out, and early reports suggest that they were successful. Our aircraft then remained on patrol to collect intelligence on possible terrorist positions and be ready to strike any further targets that might be identified in eastern Syria or western Iraq.
    The Typhoons and the Tornados received vital support from an RAF Voyager air refuelling tanker during their missions. At the same time, an RAF Reaper provided close air support to Kurdish security forces in north-west Iraq as they continue to drive back Daesh after defeating the terrorists at Sinjar. A Daesh truck-bomb was identified south of Sinjar, and the Reaper’s crew were able to destroy it by means of a direct hit from a Hellfire missile.
    Whilst the Tornados, Typhoons and Reapers are able to conduct invaluable tactical reconnaissance, a large percentage of the coalition’s strategic surveillance capability is provided by the RAF’s Sentinel and Air Seeker aircraft. Hercules transports also play a key role in ensuring the logistic support of the UK forces deployed on Operation Shader, especially the military training teams in Iraq, who are working with other coalition partners to train and equip the Iraqi security forces as they continue to build their strength to defeat Daesh on the ground.

Northwind

Duffer – Member

Northwind was referring to a Turkish F16 deliberately shooting down a Russian SU24 with Air-to-air munitions. This somehow prooves that RAF Tornados crews using ground-attack munitions will accidentally do likewise.

He has certainly identified some chumps, but they are not the ones you think.

Yeah, you know what? This is exactly 100% wrong. Not that surprising- man admits to not understanding post then tries to explain it. Makes the comment about chumps pretty ironic though eh?

CountZero

I thought they’d planned to retire the A-10 after the last conflict, however as that was so recent I guess a minor delay won’t make that much difference

The brass in charge of using A-10’s hate them, they’re obsessed with the idea of using fast jets in all operational rôles, so they’ve tried their damnedest to get rid of them, shuffling them into squadrons operated by the Air National Guard.
    Great idea, protect the homeland by giving the same people responsible for the Kent State University massacre ground attack jets!
    Anyway, it seems that people who actually have a clue have realised that the Warthog is the perfect aircraft for ground attack/close support; oddly enough, the very purpose it was designed for.
    Of course, that does mean the plane has to be flown at relatively low altitude, not up at 20,000ft, where identifying clear national markings on armoured vehicles to avoid friendly-fire incidents is rendered ineffective, resulting in an A-10 opening fire on a clearly marked British armoured vehicle, for which incident the crew have never been allowed to answer questions or apologise.
    Let’s hope the Yanks might have learned a few lessons.
    Cynical, moi?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Wilburt I saw that too, ridiculously lazy

jambalaya
    Free Member

ssume jambalaya is summoning his “Northwind, what are you talking

Actually its more like @munro what on earth are you speaking about ?

Drones are the future. Cost effective and even with todays hugely expensive jets its the pilot which is the most costly / hard to replace. Aside from significant expenditure on Drones there is lots of money being spent on other battlefield robots. Its an ironic twost on the use by Islamists of suicide bombers, we are doing all we can to protect our troops by making “intelligent” weapons which destroy themselves

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Airstrikes – why not drones?’ is closed to new replies.