Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • After N Devon/Exmoor routes
  • gusamc
    Free Member

Hi

going down in a couple of weeks, based Croyde. After suggestions on:
    -normal XC, say 15-20 miles and I have the luxury or drop off and pickup so can do one way etc to suit contours etc
    – any must do downhills (note dropoff/pickup ..)? Porlock/Lynton/Woody Bay etc
    – scenic not too technical routes[even road] (No dropoff/pickup…) – done Tarka and Camel, something with view, cracking pub, architecture, history etc

any tips appreciated, thanks

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A few favourites, but snaps is your man really:

* Pretty much every trail in and around Horner Wood, leading back toward Horner. Climb via the roads on either side.

* A couple of good descents off Dunkery, a fast one that heads diagonally toward Stoke Pero and from there you can pick up Granny’s Ride into Horner Wood; or the other FP one heading diagnoally toward Webbers Post which is narrow, rutted and bouldery (fun); both have wheel trapping water bars! These are ideal for dropoffs as it’s only a short pedal up from the highest point of the road to the summit.

* Hawkcombe down to Porlock – several variants, enough said

* The “generally” tamer trails around North Hill and Hurlstone, although the climbing can get a bit evil. There are several easy/fast variations of the zigzag descent from North Hill to Minehead beach. Watch out for old folks though.

Hot tip: look out for a series of locally made detailed paper walking maps in local shops. They are brilliant for hunting down obscure (usually great but not strictly legal) trails that are not on the OS 25K. I can’t remember the series name and can’t locate mine at the minute ;-(

knottie8
    Free Member
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘After N Devon/Exmoor routes’ is closed to new replies.