Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Ae Gravity Enduro – After the rain…
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stage List was

1) Shredder into the final descent to the car park using the dog leg into the trees up the top of the shredder and missing the Road Gap & final Northshore into the car park.

2) Rabs Slippery One including the flatish singletrack after it run bacwards, cutting off round the northshore climb down a mussy slope. Plenty of corner cuts in there

3) Granny Green Love from fire road to bridge

4) The edge from the end of the nothshore in the trees through the bombhole to the bridge in the middel of the main edge section.

5)Downhill track using a very wet section across the upper half.

You’d have to be going some to miss the cut offs except on the last one where it was brought forward 30 mins (after being put back an hour) much confusion up there

Horse
    Free Member

20 second gaps between riders

MadPierre

My blog of the race if you want a read? http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/news/61-2011-ride-diary/336-7th-a-8th-may-gravity-enduro-round-1-ae-forest.html

Neil: I got crap camera pictures of both Ned and Beef. Scroll to the bottom of the article linked above.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

So where exactly is the natural riding in that? One 20m cut through and a slippy downhill trail? There is at least one good length natural track that I thought they might use but glad they didn’t!
    Definitely not 50:50 though.
    Were there not 6 or 7 stages last year think you used stages 2,3 and 4 the same can’t remember the rest apart from shredder/ omega man finish which the top riders were landing very flat on- mind you nico vouilloz turned up.
    Any more videos floating around?

Shadow
    Free Member

Any photos online yet ? Saw plenty of them about

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Few snaps here, sure Ian will have more online soon.
    http://www.descent-world.co.uk/2011/05/09/661-gravity-enduro-rd1-ae-forest/

Simon

Not found any yet but just saw this………….[video]http://vimeo.com/23452674[/video]

fbk
    Free Member

Pete – like the write up. Gives a great insight into what I missed. You got some good times too mate.

Roll on Kielder

misterfrostie
    Free Member

Superb. See you at Kielder.

MadPierre

I’ve calculated from the results that I only need to go 31% faster to win!!!!

😮

martinh
    Free Member

Good write up MadPierre. I saved you from being slowest seeded Vet by crashing and sliding out far to often. Still had a great couple of days riding. Next time I must try racing instead. That and get some practice at riding in mud. Maybe the areas of Swinley that the firemen have been hosing down for days will be a good training spot.

You did a fine job as pit crew for the puncture repair. Must have been the practice at switching your tyre the previous day. I left you to it after pointing out that it was flat in the first place.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

RootsandRain Link Results with rider tagged pics, got to HERE and follow the photo tagging instructions – if everyone does a few it all gets done.

Thanks to Seb for adding the event

singletrackjon
    Free Member

We’ve got an ‘extended mix’ crash vid coming shortly as well as a proper riding edit and report with plenty of pictures.

Although I didn’t race, I rode the Stage 5/Seeding track and can see why it wasn’t to some people’s taste but I think that was due to the wet conditions more than anything. It’d have been lovely and buff a few days earlier 😉

Good to hear everyone’s experience of the timing being bang on. There were a couple of issues that I heard about – the weird timing confusion on the linking stage being one – but I’m confident they’ll be sorted for the next round.

I hope so anyway ‘cos I’m definitely going to race Kielder, it was horrible sitting out and watching people ride even though the weather was grim 😀

AntM
    Free Member

I was a victim of the Stage 5 time shift. I nipped down to the carpark for a cup of tea as i didn’t fancy standing around in the rain on top of the hill for a hour. when i got back up there I had missed my slot and was told by the marshall to go. I quickly put my lid on and set off (with the saddle up and in the wrong gear- good job I have gravity dropper post) had an okayish run but not the 16 mins+ stated on the results sheet. I think the format works but the communication need improving a bit. A lot of people didn’t really know where and when they should be. Hopefully this should all be sorted for next time. The stages were good however I was on the edge of my comfort zone with the very wet DH stage. Looks like I need to get on some uplift days and get some training done.

fairlyfoxy
    Free Member

I was one of the Masters that rode Shredder to finish…. Headed up to Scotland for Red Grade enduro xc. First dabble – ever – with downhill was recce, second was seeding. Certainly not what I was expecting from the web blurb. Reluctant to enter any more after the curve ball that was Section 5

I was only timed for 3 of the 4 sections I rode. Confused about seeding as I was lower down than folks who rode less sections than me – more slowly too. Some great folks made up for initial disapointment.

Organisation was a little lacking. Think most probs should iron out by next event.

SRAM were amazing. Thanks Ian – Legend.

Vortexracing

How do these events work.

are they all run on one day or are they over 2 days?

and is it right the Inners one is on a Friday?

ahwiles
    Free Member

the course is a loop (of sorts), you’re timed on the downhill/fun bits – these bits are called ‘special-stages’.

you’re given start times for each special-stage, you have to be at the start of each special-stage for the time you’re given, this is when the clock starts ticking. If you miss your start time – tough, the clock still starts.

(don’t miss your start times)

days 1: practise and qualifying.

day 2: race day.

apparently innerleithen starts on the Friday yes.

Vortexracing

ah so the date on the website is the Practice/Qual day?

fbk
    Free Member

I think some of the timing confusion was due to the organisers trying to get people off the hill asap and avoid too much standing round in the weather. The initial gap between stage 4&5 was incorrect, then the amended one was too long. They tried to shorten it on the day and adapt the timing accordingly and I’m guessing that’s where the errors crept in. Should be sorted for Kielder.

Vortexracing – yep, the date on the Website is the first (practice/seeding) day with the main event the day after.

RHSno2
    Free Member

I think people entering should check vids/pics as its quite obvious that its no xc race. And the name says it. Also organisers should clearly state that there will be high tech levels i.e dh style but without big jumps and drops.

I have to say i would be very annoyed if i travelled a great dinstance for under 20 mins racing. The UK need to look at Europe. Check the latest elass enduro tour. 26 mins for top rider and no faff with seeding. This is on same size hills too.

Enduro riding is xc and dh. Sub 4 min runs is dh. In my opinion. If you want top names to come you have offer more in a day and make it challenging physically and technically. In my opinion.

MadPierre

Don’t let the fact that the runs are short fool you. It was challenging physically and technically.

Personally I thought it was a good mix and a good test of all round (AM) bike handling. The seeding/stage 5 course added to the mix nicely. It was only really tricky cuz of the weather and as we are not American we should be able to ride in the wet! 😉

RHSno2
    Free Member

I did the race last year and I race across Europe in Enduro (All mountain Series, Enduro Series and SuperEnduro). I am all behind this series but it needs to be longer. Its not a Mini DH, its an enduro.

mrplow
    Free Member

It is whatever the organisers want it to be and was very enjoyable.

MadPierre

It was long enough for me

Trekster

Mad Pierre – Member
    Don’t let the fact that the runs are short fool you. It was challenging physically and technically.

Not to RHS2 ^^^^ he is in a different class to us mere minions 😉

Ae being local and me not being one to enter races of any kind I thought I would have a gander at the DH track and check out what it looked like now with the view to maybe a last minute entry. Last time I was up/down the DH trail was in the very early days of Dhing, on my old hardtail. Some of what the riders ^^^ above have termed “new/cheeky” sections were actually parts of the original DH trail which was “easily” ridable on a ht in them days 🙂
    Anyway after “riding” down the DH course I had a bit of a rethink and decided that walking half of it would be a waste of time, money, effort and become a nuisance to other riders 🙄

RHSno2
    Free Member

Fair enough Mr Plow but its good to attract other riders to do series/race which make it grow in the long run. Uk could have a great series where people from all over Europe would want to come and compete in. But not for 17 mins of racing. I am purely interested in this kind of event growing as it is EXCELLENT.

RHSno2
    Free Member

An example of the kind of Enduro in France (and there are loads and loads of local ones happening). Similar height in terrain.

The guy has a Special finishing (and race finishing collision)

http://www.zapiks.com/dabo-sp5-et-fin-elsass-blueg.html

ahwiles
    Free Member

…I have to say i would be very annoyed if i travelled a great dinstance for under 20 mins racing…

it’s about 3 times more than you’ll get out of a typical Dh race weekend.

although, i think a really good idea is lurking around here:

5 stages, 3 of them redish in nature and lasting 4 or 5 mins. 1 stage much more technical, let’s describe it ‘blackish’, and 1 stage much longer – say 10mins – so that the fitter xc/roadie types can hand out some pain.

for example – stage 4 from Ae, but extended so that it finished at the bridge right at the bottom. Still ‘down a hill’ – but with a jolly unpleasant climb inbetween the awsome swoopy fast bits.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Actually this is a better overall one:

http://www.zapiks.com/le-film-dabo-elsass-bluegras.html

RHSno2
    Free Member

I couldn’t careless about what a DH race does and doesn’t do. As far as I am concerned its not my sport (love watching it though)

ahwiles: THAT is the concept of Enduro. What the French define as Enduro is trails/effort that an XC rider doesn’t have more advantage over a DH rider and vice versa e.g. they balance out so that the overall winner is the best rounded rider (Fitness and Skills)

mrplow
    Free Member

Maybe it will be called the Gravity Sprint Series next year just for you :mrgreen:.

It’s not just 17mins of racing though. It was a class weekend, hell I only raced for 10mins before I ruined my tire. We spent Friday going round the course and playing on the DH. Sat playing on the Shredder and Rabs and then the seeding and racing. With camping and a good crowd it was all very good and can not be summed up as only “17 mins of racing”… I sum it up as 10mins of racing lol. :wink::lol:

It can always develop into longer stages if the majority and organisers wish but this series is clearly in it’s infancy and many people are already enjoying it which is nice.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Hey. I am not putting it down. I had a fantastic time last year even after snaping my frame 😉 Just ways to improve in my opinion and I am ‘Fan’ but also a relative objective fan from doing other (multiple series) types.

Wouldn’t it be cool for an Italian/French/Spanish/American/Canadian to be saying to other riding buddies etc ‘Hey, I have heard the 661 Gravity Enduro Series is something to do. The trails are great, timing good, etc, etc. Lets go do a stage’

I know that I didn’t come over to do any of them as it was too short to make it worth while (based in Switzerland). Honest truth.

mrplow
    Free Member

Nah, they would only be amazed by the British weather lol

RHSno2
    Free Member

and Midges?

Northwind

fairlyfoxy – Member

Certainly not what I was expecting from the web blurb.

This is it… I’d a fair idea of what the series is about after the (unconnected) Innerleithen Enduro earlier in the year but if you read the website, it sounds like it’s just red routes.

I’m kind of the other way round though, I don’t want a race that’s just on red routes 😉 But especially early on getting any information on the level of riding’s not been easy. It’s like they’re afraid of putting people off. But, that Innerleithen event made a lot of use of the downhill trails and got a load of people who’d never normally do DH out onto them and having a blast, which was a huge result- so many people just think “I’m not a downhiller” but DH trails are a blast on a little bike even for a mortal.

It’s a big step forward I think and I’m really looking forward to the legs I can do but I think they’ve been pretty poor with communication. And they’re getting told that over and over, the facebook and SDH page is full of it but there’s not been much reaction.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but DH trails are a blast on a little bike even for a mortal.

For some others really didn’t want them (my gf for instance) especially in the mud.

I’d rather see trails that were rideable for lower tech levels slower with faster tech lines than trails that some won’t do. You need a broad range for this kind of thing to work.

There are 8-10 DH races a month if you want to race DH!!

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

There are 8-10 DH races a month if you want to race DH!!

And there’s any number of XC races if you want to race XC. But this isn’t the same as either, there’s a big difference between enduro-mincing down ae or innerleithen on a 5 inch bike, and racing DH. Or there is for most folks, for Crawfy and the like it’s not so obvious!

GW
    Free Member

some others really didn’t want them (my gf for instance) especially in the mud.

I’ve ridden wet XC races back in the ’90s that had sections more difficult than anything Ae DH track gets like in the wet.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Do you think that the 661 Gravity Enduro series might be a victim of people riding ‘easy’ and ‘safe’ trail centres? Enduro is always going to have Hard riding. If you don’t like reasonably hard riding (at times) then maybe this format isn’t for you. It is RACING with a gravity based side after all.

I think people should be able to put their hand up and say ‘I am not good enough for this’ or ‘I am not comfortable with this level of tech/speed/terrain’ rather than say ‘its too hard’.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A quote (think I posted it earlier) from the UKGravityEnduro Site

What is enduro racing?

Enduro racing is a cross country based event and is normally run on an existing red route cross country loop. The event is run like a stage rally event where each rider has to complete a set amount of stages, most of the timed stages will be downhill but some will have uphill sections. Each event will consist of five competitive stages where you will be set off as an individual with a gap between each rider. At the end of each stage you will ride on a non-timed section to get to the next stage, this will involve riding uphill. The times for the link sections will be very generous so you dont have to ride quick on these sections, you will have time to take it easy. The rider with the quickest overall time for the 5 timed stages will win their category. Each stage will be electronically timed with manual backup. The final stage will have live timing with a results screen in the pit area, this means there will be no waiting around to find out your results.

My main point goes back to the first sentence

Enduro racing is a cross country based event and is normally run on an existing red route cross country loop.

If this had said
    “Enduro racing is a cross country[b]trail & Downhill[/b] based event and is normally run on an existing red & Black route cross country loop and existing DH Courses.”

Then I would know what I was getting into, not so much a case of urgh it’s too hard for me must be wrong more not as advertised. I’d be p*ssed off if I paid for a DH race and found it was being run in Glentress Spooky Wood or an XC race to find it running down the DH at Ft Bill.

The advertising was didn’t match the event.

Enduro is always going to have Hard riding. If you don’t like reasonably hard riding (at times) then maybe this format isn’t for you. It is RACING with a gravity based side after all.

The previous Avalanche Events have used the existing trails, most who went said it was really good, one of the bit positives was it was open to all, the better you were the faster your time.

Edit (cock up with HTML code)
    Quote from Nigel Page on Seeding Run

The format was that everyone did a run on the National downhill track on Saturday afternoon for a seeding time

Others did say it was practically the same as the SDA run recently

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Ae Gravity Enduro – After the rain…’ is closed to new replies.