• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by jonk.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Advice re Halfords zero tabs offer fiasco?!
  • bobfleming

As many on here did I ordered a box of High Five zero tabs as a result of a PSA on here a while back for about £5.

Got text straight away to confirm so toddled to Halfords on delivery day only for them to not be able to locate said tablets after searching high and low even though computer said despatched and delivered to store.

Assistant left note for manager to chase up next morning and would call…. No response next day!!

Called in again two days later. 20 mins search again. Manager called HO and returns to say “Order cancelled, e-mailed you and refunded your card” I deff. had no e-mail or text. but thought fair enough, win some lose some and left just a bit huffed at waste of time with store visits plus suspecting a bit of a “Cover Up” for too good to be true offer!

However, I have received my credit card statement and hey presto been charged for them and No Refund!!

I know we’re not talking much money, just interested to know, before calling, where I stand and whether they are obliged to now supply me the goods ordered and paid for.

bails

No, they just need to give you your money back.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They can just refund you, there’s no onous on them to supply the goods. There’ll be something in the T&C’s saying the contract isn’t accepted untill they’ve actualy disaptched something. And IIRC from my uni course, even then if the contract is woefully one sided (i.e. they’ve clearly messed up and supplied you with something worth way more than you paid) they can ask for them back (which would be unlikley though).

IIRC some people got an e-mail explanation that some items had ended up on the site with an individual price for a whole box of the item.

zippykona

With our credit card machine in the shop we get charged 50p to do a refund.
    I cant imagine Halfords are overjoyed about having to give everyone their money back.

Cougar

No, they just need to give you your money back.

No, that’s not true.

A sale is an “invitation to treat” and isn’t legally binding until both parties have agreed to the purchase terms.

However, if they’ve taken your money, they’ve accepted the contract of sale and are legally obliged to supply the goods at the agreed price.

If the goods don’t exist, they’re in breach of contract. Quite what they can do legally in this case, I’m not sure; you’ll have to wait for the goods to come into stock or accept a refund, I suppose.

There’ll be something in the T&C’s saying the contract isn’t accepted untill they’ve actualy disaptched something.

Doesn’t matter. You can’t waive statutory rights; that’s what ‘statutory’ means.

bobfleming

Thanks guys.

Cougar, I was wondering if that was the case as in the end the sale had just gone through as “normal”. What they said and what they actually did were two different things.

There was no e-mail, text or refund so sale has been completed but no goods supplied to me. Fair enough if I had received contact and order was cancelled and refunded.

Out of interest I may try and insist they supply the goods.

I’ll keep you posted.

Cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter. You can’t waive statutory rights; that’s what ‘statutory’ means.

Depends when the contract was formed, and even if it was formed, and they’d breached the terms, then I’m sure in the “I have read and accept the terms and conditions” it lays out the penalties, which are probably a refund. The OP isn’t going to be getting a retail box of tablets for the retail price of one tube.

bobfleming

No doubt it will be covered in the T & Cs.

I think the offers at the time were to attract custom for their push to compete against the “big boys” of the internet cycle market.

Hopefully they are finding you need the quality of service and customer service backup to compete at that level both of which were severely lacking in this case!

Bit of an own goal really!! they’ve surely put me off!

Cougar

Depends when the contract was formed

If they’ve taken his money, they’ve formed a contract.

The OP isn’t going to be getting a retail box of tablets for the retail price of one tube.

I think he might be. (-:

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’d check your spam folder for e-mails

Had some Halfords reservation stuff end up in spam before

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think the offers at the time were to attract custom for their push to compete against the “big boys” of the internet cycle market.

Hopefully they are finding you need the quality of service and customer service backup to compete at that level both of which were severely lacking in this case!

Bit of an own goal really!! they’ve surely put me off!

I doubt it was malicious, just someone entering prices and put the single price against a whole box of them.

My corner shop has the prices for mars bars stuck on the boxes rather than the individual bars, sometimes it’s even on the shelf next to them, should I expect the whole shelf for 56p?

If they’ve taken his money, they’ve formed a contract.

You need two things to exchange, in this case the goods and the money, similar to why companies get sold for 1p, without that 1p going the other way there is no contract. I might be remembering it incorectly from university, but I’m sure it’s not a contract untill the money and the goods are exchanged (and the lecturer saying something allong the lines of “anything else is just a piece of paper with two squigley names on it”) which is why the whole process of buying a house and getting the keys is so protracted, the keys and the money have to transfered together, whether you signed the paperwork a month earlier or not.

bobfleming

Well I called and guess what!

“They no longer stock that flavour so cannot send me the product and will have to issue a refund”!!!

How’s that for a Get out of Jail card!!

I said I don’t care what flavour!

Then it all got a bit messy I’m afraid (customer service was pretty shocking eg.”Its not our fault its the store (Eh??) “The manager doesn’t arrange your refund, you should have called us when you got home” ……FFS! hope you can see why it all went wrong from there on!

Just for balance the chap who then dealt with refund was very good!

All a bit of fun really but wouldn’t be if you were talking £100s
    only ever expected it to result in a refund, still a bit naughty!

Cheers again

Cougar

My corner shop has the prices for mars bars stuck on the boxes rather than the individual bars, sometimes it’s even on the shelf next to them, should I expect the whole shelf for 56p?

No, because there’s no contract of sale. There’s no onus on the shopkeeper to sell the entire box at that price, or indeed at all. However, if you’d given him 56p for the entire box and he’d taken it, he couldn’t then refuse to sell it to you.

You need two things to exchange, in this case the goods and the money

No, it’s not, that’s not how the SOGA works. In this case, an order has to be made and accepted. Both of these things have happened.

sugdenr
    Free Member

However, if you’d given him 56p for the entire box and he’d taken it, he couldn’t then refuse to sell it to you.

If he knowingly sells you a box for 56p yes, but not if he can reasonably show innocent mistake or that you misled him – he didn’t see you had box/didn’t realise you meant box, when he only meant one bar.

If something is mislabelled shops dont have to honour it, unless maybe they themselves were [deliberately] misleading.

In OP’s position, it is generally accepted that a refund is all that is required, unless there are some exceptional circumstances. OP might get some petrol money for his first trip.

Practically speaking, phone halfords customer service have a huge moan about wasting your time and keeping your money until you get a refund and bore them into giving you a voucher for your trouble.

hounslow
    Free Member

I absolutely hate halfords.com at the moment, it ruins many a workday. We repeatedly get customers in to collect web exclusive orders that haven’t arrived on time/completely/at all. The worst part is that we instore get blamed for this as we are the face the customer puts to the problem, but the first we often here of these issues is when the customer comes in to collect (the exception is bikes as they appear on the build list when ordered, so we can deal with that).

peterfile
    Free Member

You have 2 remedies:

Damages or specific performance.

Good luck and remember to wear your best suit for court, the media will probably be there.

🙂

zilog6128

I absolutely hate halfords.com at the moment

Yep, the current system for ordering things that aren’t stocked in the store is complete bollox! Nobody in the store knows what’s going on, nor does there seem to be anyway to check on an order’s status online.

dobo
    Free Member

so they messed up, lifes too short, just do the right thing and get your refund and forget about it.

sgn23
    Free Member

I had the same situation with a handlebar PSA at Halfords a couple of months ago. I did click and collect and when I turned up the bars weren’t there. I eventually walked away with a gift card for the full price of the bars, which I’d paid 50p for. Result.

jonk

Halfords are pushing bikes big time with a massive advertising campaign. I went o my local Halfords to find out what all the fuss was – still the same old sh!te. They need to sort their communications out between web and store its a joke!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Advice re Halfords zero tabs offer fiasco?!’ is closed to new replies.