Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Advice please – Loose cogs in cassette. 10/11 speed issue?
  • ianfitz
    Free Member

I have a 10 speed shamanic cassette with the lock ring tightly fastened and the individual cogs are able to wobble a little.

Does that mean that my free hub is an 11 speed one and I need a washer?

Wheels are new (to me) cassette is off another set of wheels and did not have wobbly cogs before

Thanks in advance

thegreatape
    Free Member

Same freehub for Shimano 10 speed and 11 speed on MTBs.

Spacer missing?

ianfitz
    Free Member

Sorry should have said this is a road wheel. I know there’s a slightly wider free hub on 11 speed road and it’s the only explanation I can think of for the wobble.

DJTC
    Free Member

i had that problem. moved ultegra cassette from hope free hub to mavic freehub and could never stop them moving. drove me up the wall as they were so noisy. tried spacers etc and just could not get it to stop. best of luck.

timba
    Free Member

What cassette? What hub?

Some Shimano cassettes have three rivets holding the large sprockets together and the rivet heads stick out. On some hubs you leave the spacer off and on Mavic hubs a special spacer to avoid the problem

It might be worth looking in this area, although IME I couldn’t get the lockring on. It may be that with other combinations it goes the other way and leaves the cassette loose

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Some 10 speed cassettes (can’t remember which off the top of my head, but not many of them) require a thin spacer to work on a standard shimano hub. There is an extra thick spacer to make an 11 speed freehub compatible with 8-9-10 cassettes. Some combinations require both spacers.

Mavic freehubs happen to be almost exactly the same length as a shimano 11 speed freehub, so they require a thick spacer to be 8-9-10 compatible or no spacer for 11.

All the spacers are included with either the cassette (the thin 10 speed one) or the hub (the thick 11 to 8-9-10 speed one).
    If you can’t get it tight with one or other combinations of spacers, either the cassette is broken, the spacer is interfering with your rivets or you’ve not done it up properly (top sprocket out of position? Lock ring touching the freehub bearing?) And it’s a pretty simple system, incredibly easy to diagnose wobbly sprockets, and either fix or replace.

What hubs are they?

ianfitz
    Free Member

It’s a 105 cassette and a bontranger hub. It had been on a hope hub before without this issue.

gee
    Free Member

Assuming you’ve got all the cassette spacers fitted between the cogs, sounds like you just need a thin cassette washer behind everything. Some road hubs need them, some seem not to.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Thanks all. ill be off to source a washer then…

ianfitz
    Free Member

A spacer from an old cassette at the spoke end of the freehub has fixed the rattley wobble.

Sorted thanks all

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Advice please – Loose cogs in cassette. 10/11 speed issue?’ is closed to new replies.