Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Advice please before I do some real damage!
  • Harry_the_Spider

Changing the main pivot bearings in a 2005 Spesh FSR.

Are the bearings on some sort of spool that knocks through to the drive side?

Ta

racing_ralph
    Free Member

thats the axle, knock through GENTLY

foxyrider
    Free Member

thats the axle, knock through GENTLY

2nd that – I had an 04 and replaced the pivots – you have to remove the swingarm components and then knock the bearing out from the inside – if they are stuck then try some GT85 or WD40 and soak as your gonna throw the bearings anyway?

Harry_the_Spider

Thought so. The bugger isn't moving.

foxyrider
    Free Member

its alu made btw – have you tried turning the other size with a hex to get it moving or is teh axel welded to the inner surfaces of the bearings? Maybe support teh swingarm on teh opposite side with wood before you clout it?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I sold my frame d.t. the shortlived bearings!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Have fun trying to get the dropout bearings out… 😈

Harry_the_Spider

I can't move any of them! At this rate i'll break something.

Harry_the_Spider

Arse.

After 2 hours of smashing it with a hammer nothing has budged.

I've phoned Cooksons. It goes in tomorrow.

brant
    Free Member

boiling water/hair dryer might help
    and plus gas.
    and beer.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

hitting stuff with hammers never worked for me when I did bearings. You need something like a big G-clamp to PUSH it out.

Harry_the_Spider

One of them broke up leaving the outer race stuck inside the swing arm. Steel bearings in an aluminium socket. Not good. Dremel time! That was the point where I gave up.

Just returned a borrowed tool to Terrahawk who gleefully told me of a 4 day battle with the bearings on his Patriot. The git could have told me this before I started.

terrahawk
    Free Member

ah, but it was a piece of p1ss when I did my old FSR. I reckon you were hamfisted.

<runs away>

stumpyjon

They're not easy to get out when they're not stuck, and as for the swing arm bearings at the drop outs…………

Design……..FAIL

foxyrider
    Free Member

stumpyjon – yup shocking design IMHO – useless – I threw mine over a wall at the end I was sooo P**sed off with it squeaking coz the bearings kept comming loose!

Harry_the_Spider

Just tried a 3" G-Clamp. No movement.

Smashing them then cutting out the steel outer with a dremel may be the best way. I'll leave that to the LBS.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup – when they are welded in d.t. them being rusted v difficult – regular checking is best in hindsight with my old stumpie esp the rear chainstay pivots near the dropouts – they were rusted solid! after 1 year!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

3" isnt a big G-clamp! Mine is more like 9-12 inches and is effectively a mobile vice. Might be worth cslling it quits and getting a shop to do it if youre getting frustrated though.

Harry_the_Spider

That is what i've done. I'll let them swing at it with a pick axe.

The only problem with Cooksons is the big pile of Lapiere stuff in the corner. Weaker men than me could go in for an inner tube and come out £3000 lighter.

trio25
    Free Member

Yes that is a problem, I try and go in without a credit card!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Advice please before I do some real damage!’ is closed to new replies.