Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advice on Reverb repair please
  • HaydPD
    Free Member

Hi there,

I had a spectacular off yesterday. Hurtling down a bridleway, I encountered a couple of riders walking up the other way. The bike dropped into a rut as i broke, I lost control and the next thing I know Im lying on the ground, winded with the bike behind me.

I have a very nicely cut up left shin and ankle, left shoulder. right elbow, an egg on my right knee, a cut on my right temple. My left shoulder blade and ribs ache and my neck might be a little whip lashed. Other than that Im good and sure to be back on the bike for the Bucks Off Road Sportive next weekend.

However, I also managed to shear the cable off of my reverb just below the remote. I’ve heard they are vulnerable to crash damage and unfortunately the reports are all true.

Anyway on the bright side i have a nice little project to repair the post. Please will someone point me in the direction of some directions or a video for how I go about the repair.

Cheers.

bigjim

screw it back on or push it if it is an earlier one I think, you’ll probably need to bleed it too, and maybe snip the last cm off to get a clean end if it’s been ripped out.

bigfooter
    Free Member

Go to the SRAM website. They have videos for all repairs. If it’s just a case of replacing the hose, then it’s a very simple job that shouldn’t take long (I’m assuming you have a bleed kit?)

HaydPD
    Free Member

I do have a bleed kit. Will have a look at the SRAM website. thanks

HaydPD
    Free Member

One more thing while i think of it, the seatpost was down when I had the accident, is there a way of extending it without the remote? Thanks

philhadfield

Hi, ouch! Similar thing happened to me coming down the rangers path off snowden. Most likely you have sheared the barb off that screws (or pushes depending on the age) into the hose. You’ll need to suss out the type of barb, get a new one, chop 15mm off the end of the hose and fit the new one. From the sounds of it it’ll heal quicker than you
    ! 🙂

blob
    Free Member

I’ve done this a couple of times. As philh says you will probably need to replace the hose barb rather than just re-attaching the hose itself. You can get the barbs from Tweeks cycles for about 6 quid. Cut the end of the hose off with the broken bit of the barb in it then screw the new barb into the hose, thread the hose back through the remote and then carry out a normal bleed. There’s a really good Pinkbike Tech Tuesday article on how to bleed a reverb if you haven’t done it before.

HaydPD
    Free Member

Thanks Blob

I checked out a couple of tech videos on the SRAM website last night and they say you need a hydraulic hose cutting tool. Will I need one of these or can I just cut the hose with a knife or some cutters?

anysize
    Free Member

I just used some (Park Tool) cable cutters to shorten the hose on my Reverb and it seemed to work fine.

Mind you, reading these posts about different barbs I’m wondering if I did it wrong. The post is new but I followed an SRAM video that told me to cut off the old hose, cut to length and push it back onto the barb. The barb was quite long and seemed to be threaded, so it wasn’t easy to push the hose back on. But I got there in the end 🙂

al2000

I used a stanley knife when repairing mine which it was fine, and it’s a really easy job to do. As mentioned above plenty of info around the net to take you through it.

HaydPD
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I have ordered a barb from Tweeks and will give it a go.

HaydPD
    Free Member

One more thing while i think of it, the seatpost was down when I had the accident, is there a way of extending it without the remote? Thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advice on Reverb repair please’ is closed to new replies.