Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Advice on entry level road bikes…
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve decided to get an entry level road bike for commuting on and just to get out and do something a bit different fitness wise. I’ll be buying it through the cycle to work scheme.

So far on my list I’ve got…

Cannondale CAAD 8 Sora
    Merida Road Lite 91
    Specialized Allez Sport

The ‘dale is my favourite so far but I’m not sure about availability for the 2013 bikes yet.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of any of these bikes or anything else that I should be looking at.

Cheers

ahwiles
    Free Member

all good bikes.

advice?

(from a recent roadie adopter)

lycra is ace.

do take the peak off your helmet – it’ll save you a sore neck,

have a couple of beers for courage and learn to wrap the handlebar tape – so that you’re happy/able to faff around with the handlbar/brake lever set up.

take it easy on the back-roads if it’s cold/frosty/icy.

the brake blocks on cheaper road bikes can be dreadful, treat yourself to some new ones, swisstop greens are known to be good, swap them after a few rides so that you can feel the benefit.

make up your own mind wether it’s better to carry stuff in a saddlebag, or in your jersey pockets – so you can join in all the fun arguments.

jimc101
    Free Member

2013 has been here for months in the bike world, so availbility shouldnt be an issue, although the Cannondale looks to have a bit of a lead time depending on size.

For spec, all look similar, 2013 9 speed Sora is a massive upgrade over 2012 8 speed, and worth paying a premium for.

For commuting, hard to tell from the pictures, but none of them have seem to have mudguard or rack mounts, mudguards are very useful if commuting (or just winter riding in general), and a rack could be, depending on what you need to carry. would be worth checking the max tire size for the bikes, as all are probably limited to 25mm.

Have you budgeted for a decent lock, lights etc? If you are going to be commuting in the evening / dark, a dynamo front wheel could be an option.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You could get one of these: http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/bikes/road-bikes/merlin-road-bikes/merlin-malt-rs-road-bike.html

They’ve got proper gear changers on them.

nammynake
    Free Member

Sora has been 9 speed for years. The upgrade to Sora this year is that they’ve ditched the horrible little thumb shifter for down-shifting. They now have the same setup as Tiagra and above.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Cheers chaps.

Not of fussed about racks as I’ll plan my commutes…car on a Monday to take some shirts in etc, so it’ll just be underwear and shower stuff in my backpack.

I had a look at the Evans website and they said three months for the ‘dale but another place said five days. I might try and pop over to Leisure Lakes tomorrow to have a look a few and work out what size I need. I’ve got lights etc so that’s all good and the office has a pretty secure bike rack (it gets used an awful lot more since
    Nottingham council have introduced the parking levy).

velomanic
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2011 Allez 16 and still love it after nearly 2 years – great bike!

wurzelcube
    Free Member

For commuting / fitness you may be better off with a Synapse over the CAAD8 as its got a more relaxed geometry

jezketley
    Free Member

I bought a 2011 CAAD8 as my first road bike – nothing to compare it against (other than a mile or so on a Giant Defy), but I really like it. I was pleasantly surprised how comfy it feels even on long rides and local rough roads.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Advice on entry level road bikes…’ is closed to new replies.