Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Advice Needed on Becoming a Dog Owner
  • ThePilot
    Free Member

I’d steer well clear of recue dogs as well, I know they’re cute and fwufeee and probably had a hard life, kicked in the ribs and not fed for days on end, but I’d still rather they remain some one else’s problem and not become mine

Xyeti, try substituting ‘children in care’ for ‘rescue dogs’ and perhaps you’ll realise how much of a “”$%^^&( your post makes you sound.

Same for you OP, try thinking of the dog as a child and you’ll soon realise that your current circumstances make it completely inappropriate to you becoming a dog owner right now.

Rockape63
    Free Member

8 1/2 hrs is WAY TOO LONG to leave a dog on their own.

Are you SURE you’re really in a position to have one?

If you can’t halve that window at least, then you really shouldn’t be thinking about getting a dog.

Yep….thread should have stopped right there!

johndoh
    Free Member

We got a cocker spaniel puppy back in April and she does spend quite a lot of time by herself but someone always goes home at lunchtime to walk her. The longest she goes is 8.30am til’ 12.30 then 1.30pm to about 3.30pm when the girls get home from school. This is four days a week as my wife doesn’t work on Fridays.

She has been very well behaved (she has always had the run of our utility room when left by herself) and hasn’t caused much damage apart from the odd shoe she’s dug out.

Overall I haven’t seen much evidence of the daftness (apart from the time the in-laws were looking after her for a few days and they ‘lost’ her – she was found 8ft up a tree LOL!

willard

Hand up, I own two spaniels. I love them both and love the spaniel breed in general, so am likely to be biased when I say that spaniels are the best dogs ever.

Of the two that I hve (springer and cocker) I’d have to say that, despite loving my springer more than anything, I think a cocker is the way forward. Buying from working instead of show stock means you get a leaner, less fluffy dog that just looks a lot more purposeful. Spaniels have energy for sure, but they can be quite relaxed.

Mine could keep up with me on a bike for shorter rides, but runnign endurance is not really their thing. They’ll hunt all day though and be happy to lie on top of you on the sofa all night.

Dogs, like cats, but more loyal and not plotting to kill you constantly

loddrik
    Free Member

Btw. Just to add that if a less aloof cat appeals, get siamese. They are much more full on than most cats and are so people orientated. They’ll always be on your lap, in the garden with you, next to the bath when you’re in it, with you in the kitchen. They make much better companions than most cats and are dog like in their affections. So much so that it’s better to have two as they prefer company (we have three plus the Border at the moment). Two of mine will play fetch for hours, we use squashed up pipe cleaners rather than balls, you throw it for them and they’ll bring it back and drop it at your feet for you to throw it again.

I have one on me now as I’m typing this.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah we got ours thinking it was a show type but I am sure it is a working, but she is generally very relaxed and is equally happy sleeping as she is running circuits of the garden going batshit mental.

Gratuitous dog picture

DezB
    Free Member

Do dogs have sense of time? Is leaving a dog alone for 8 hours any different to leaving it alone for 3 hours, or even 1 hour? People put human characteristics onto dogs, but their brains aren’t like ours (mine anyway).
    When we first got our dog, she was crate trained according to the people we got her from – it made no difference how long we were gone for – she was a right mess (literally sometimes) when we got back home. The trauma of a change of owners (ie. being in a strange place alone) was the main reason, not the length of time she was left.
    Now she’s happily in a settled home, she can be left until 4:30, when boy gets home from school, no problem.
    I live in a different house and occasionally have the dog to stay at mine – I can’t leave her for 5 minutes without her going barking mental.

Dunno what my advice to the OP would be though 😆 Maybe don’t listen to bike forum people. Get expert advice from Dog’s Trust or summink.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I’ve seen some wonderful, wonderful rescue dogs so don’t be or off by getting one. But, really think about why you’re getting a dog and the kind of life you’d give it. Leaving a dog for over 6 hrs during the days isn’t fair on it,I don’t believe. Breeders (decent ones) may not sell you a dog if they know you’ll be leaving it alone for that length of time. Can you take it to work with you or can you pop home for lunch to be with it?

I’ve also got mixed feelings regarding dog walkers, you’ve got to find a really good one that loves dogs and will stimulate it every day it’s out with them. The trouble there is, the dog may have a better time out with them than with you on your walks. We stopped our walker after two months when we noticed this.

Bad dog walkers just take the dogs to a park, chuck a few biscuits into the grass for them to find, round them up after 30 min and bundle them back into their can for the 1hr ride while they drop them all off back home.

Go to your local park and speak to as many dog owners as you can and see how much time they put into their dogs and what the temperament of the different breeds are like.

DezB
    Free Member

Bad dog walkers just take the dogs to a park, chuck a few biscuits into the grass for them to find, round them up after 30 min and bundle them back into their can for the 1hr ride while they drop them all off back home.

Is this an actual thing? Or some urban myth being spread around? I’ve seen plenty of professional dog walkers while out with mine and none are like this.

cinnamon_girl

Remember it’s a dog – it isn’t your mate or a member of your family. If you’re too soft with it, it will train you.

+1 and dogs really shouldn’t be allowed on sofas and beds!

monde
    Free Member

Its a thing.

Had a run in with a dog walker a few weeks ago who didnt realise i was there and yanked a dog off their feet with the lead when it refused to get in the van.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

On the ‘rescue dogs are bad’ thing; some rescue dogs are bad/hard work in the same way some pedigree dogs can be bad/hard work. Our local dogs trust regularly gets in litters of puppies which are often hand reared and rehomed at 10ish weeks. We’ve now had two from them.

Here’s dog one when we got him (we got him at 14 weeks as he’d been rehomed and then returned 🙁 )

and now

He’s a massive softie who’s amazing with kids and other dogs and whose only vice is a tendency to get very very excited and suck on peoples hands, which is slightly disturbing if you’re not expecting it (we’re working on it).

Here’s dog two who was a straight rehome at 9 weeks. She’s part collie and loves hugs, also great with children.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Dog walkers are a nightmare.
    Prices are low so they have to walk lots of dogs in order to make it worth their while. I frequently see dog walkers with anything up to 7 dogs with them. It’s impossible to have control over that many dogs. The situation is made worse by the fact the dogs go into pack mode when they see another dog.
    The walkers also meet up with each other thereby doubling the number of dogs.

It’s true too that many are not really ‘walked’. They stand around in their groups letting their dogs play with each other and occasionally throwing a ball. It doesn’t sound like a problem but it means they ‘take over’ an area for a time. And they are completely distracted as to what the dogs are doing because they are too busy talking to their friends. I’m not sure it’s what the owners are paying for either. Having said that, I think dog owners should pay walkers properly so that it is feasible for them to only take a couple of dogs at a time.

As for dogs not being allowed on sofas and beds, well that’s a bit like saying children should be seen and not heard, like they said in Victorian times, ie, nonsense!

wwaswas

only vice is a tendency to get very very excited and suck on peoples hands, which is slightly disturbing if you’re not expecting it (we’re working on it).

Our Vizsla does that – but only to people he likes. As you say, bit disconcerting if some random dog you’re saying hello to in the park puts your hand in its mouth.

Are we doing pics?

March:

Yesterday:

willard

Lovely looking dogs and, johndoh, that looks a lot more like a worker than a show cocker.

Interesting point about dog walkers. I have one come in four times a week to walk the boys (30+ minutes) at lunchtime. She lives locally and I know her, so I know that she looks after them. Your mileage may vary for other people though.

Up until I moved offices I made sure I went home for lunchtime (lived four miles from the office) and so I could eat and walk the boys myself then. I needed the break as much as they did, so it worked really well. Sadly, I’m now 15 miles away, so had to give the walker money.

duncancallum

Ours is at home for 6 hours. She doesn’t bark chew or mess. She’s a 10yr old patterdale.

If it was a choice of no owner and being in a pound all day and or put down or being on its own a few hours a day but in a loving home environment which is worst?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Alright mate – got any Vizslas? Laaaaavely!!

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Are we doing pics?

What is the point of a thread about dogs if we don’t? 😉

Amazingly people don’t react well to a 6 stone Rottweiler running up to them and putting their entire hand in his mouth!

DezB
    Free Member

As for dogs not being allowed on sofas and beds, well that’s a bit like saying children should be seen and not heard, like they said in Victorian times, ie, nonsense!

This, to me, proves you aren’t worth listening to.

johndoh
    Free Member

Lovely looking dogs and, johndoh, that looks a lot more like a worker than a show cocker.

Yeah, I accept that’s the case. Either way she’s great and beautiful 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Advice Needed on Becoming a Dog Owner’ is closed to new replies.