Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Adidas Terrex Adventure Race
  • Marge
    Free Member

I saw the linky on the RHS of the forum pages & took a quick look.
    That sounds very cool indeed.

Adventure race

Anyone here consdiering doing it (or done anything similar)?
    I used to race canoes years back so in combination with cycling & running it sounds great (apart from the caving bit that I find rather scarey)

Joe

I always like the look of these things. But £1300 is abit silly really to run round the lake district. I don't care what anyone has to say about insurance, ya ya ya, its shit.

sofatester
    Free Member

The price does seem a bit much. Especially if you factor in kit, food and travel.

Sure there will be plenty who sign up though.

stever
    Free Member

Mm, they lost me at £1350. It does sound like a hell of a wheeze, but it's probably priced against stuff like those corporate Microsoft Challenge jobs, rather than your £3 a pop tightwad fell races 🙂

grahamt1980

Looks fun, but works out as about £340 per person, bit steep IMO.
    Would definately have a go if I could get someone to pay it for me.
    Unlikely though

NZCol

Its a 4 day expedition race. As a race director for 24hr adventure races (and I'm talking about proper adventure races not some crappy imitation where you have to make jigsaws and then offroad bike across a fckng playing field here) the compliance costs and logistics add up quite a lot. They will supply paddle gear etc so no costs there.

We do one, sometimes 2 expedition races a year – average entry cost is about $2000NZ per person, plus travel, plus accom, plus plus plus. Yes its expensive but for a 'supported' race its not too bad and quite simply our team are prepared to pay (if our sponsors can't or won't)

This is a 4 day race, I'd be expecting you to sleep less than 90minutes in any 24hr period to be competitive and do the full 400k course, of course you might want more sleep and travel slower so miss the optional CP's. Sounds like a great course and Open Adventure have a track record of good races, it would be a hoot.

Of course you can do it for free should you wish to, we do lots of 'events' where we put together a course, mark out some cp's and then let people know where and when to be and go at it. Of course its just 'training' so yeah you could do the same thing for nothing assuming you have the gear and the wherewithall to want to. But thats not the point is it ?
    😆

Marge
    Free Member

I agree it sounds expensive on face value but considering the amounts spent on carbon bike components 🙂 it's not crazy…

Anyone know anything similar that comes in cheaper?
    It's the mix of the different sports that is most appealing – canoeing especially.

NZCol

JNot multi-day races no – thats pretty darn cheap for a race of that type.
    Consider the 1 day Coast to Coast race in NZ (Often classed as the worlds best adventure 'race' although its a multisport race over a set course) is $950 for one day or about 350 quid. XPD in Australia – 10 day non-stop $8000AUD per team, Abu Dhabi adventure race (on now) was 2,500 Euro….

So i'd say 340 quid pp is about right and it will be a magnificent challenge.

Honestly, you have no idea about the cost of running stuff like this and also *shock* maybe making a profit slightly to feed a family 😀

But most of what you need is out there for the price of a topo map and a bit of elbow grease to plan a course. Rope in some mates to support crew and setup your own race. But if you want to paddle you'll need boats.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

NZCol – Member
    They will supply paddle gear etc so no costs there.

they don't.
    You can hire boats/probably all kit (at an additional charge) but its not supplied.
    If you don't have your own kayaking kit, then thats another hefty chunk going to be added to your race cost…

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

As a sometime adventure racer, I know that James Thurlow, the organiser of this has a very good rep for putting on good races and I've never heard of anyone complaining that his events are poor value for money. Don't forget that this isn't just 4 days of racing – it is 96 hours non-stop racing. Quite a lot of logistics involved, and I'm sure also that there will be plenty of surprises along the way. Rest assured all of the top UK adventure racers will be doing this.

Unfortunately though it clashes with the Lakes 5 day orienteering festival – otherwise I'd be doing it.

NZCol

simply_oli_y : ah yes i had misread that bit sorry !

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Adidas Terrex Adventure Race’ is closed to new replies.