Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Additional charge after paying for (nearly) new car & towbar fitting
  • chomp
    Free Member

Just wondering what the STW hive mind thinks best course of action is:

Purchased a 16 plate car last weekend including a having a towbar fitted and all paid up and agreed to cooled this weekend. Got a call today to say that they have made a mistake and forgot a part of the towbar and I now need to pay an additional £250.

My initial reaction is to tell them to stick it, and than as I’ve paid the agreed fee for the car & towbar they should honour it as had they told me what the correct figure was I would have haggled more money off (as we had a budget for car & towbar).

I haven’t got any bombers handy, and not sure I can gain access to their shoes to piddle in them.

What’s the STW suggested course of action?

mattyfez

Business or private sale?

Flaperon

They’re having a laugh, right? Tell them you made a mistake and want to pay £250 less for the car, see how that goes down.

mattyfez

Yeh that really.. Especially if you’ve already paid, the contract of sale is basically complete.

Or do they belive you’re too emotionally invested in the purchase to get a refund and walk away?

stevextc
    Free Member

Agree with the above …and they invested in the towbar so they are the ones that will lose… best they can do is keep it depreciating until someone else wants one with a towbar.

Cougar

They can’t do the work and then bill you. If there was additional cost, they should’ve informed you beforehand and asked if you wanted to proceed. If it were me I’d tell them to remove it then, see how quickly they cave. Probably cheaper to have it fitted by a third party anyway.

br
    Free Member

I guess while you could just walk away you’d then have to spend time again to do another deal somewhere else and if the deal had worked out at £250 more would you still have signed up (as presumably it’s a small additional percentage of the deal?).

In this case I’d be inclined to play the ‘daft lad’, but accept that I would go halves with them if it came down to it.

Cougar

Whereas I’m genetically predisposed to standing on principle rather than having my pants pulled down.

You’ve bought the car, they’re bound by contract (would be a different story if you hadn’t yet paid, they’d be under no obligation to accept your offer). Tell them you won’t be paying for their mistake.

parkesie
    Free Member

What part of a tow bar can you forget that is £250 that isn’t the whole towbar?

DickBarton

Price was agreed, contract signed and paid for…I wouldn’t be paying any more as the issue isn’t with you. The garage either messed up or are trying to stiff you.
    The effort to find another car wouldn’t cost me 250 quid so I’d also consider walking away.

pitduck
    Free Member

“What part of a tow bar can you forget that is £250 that isn’t the whole towbar?”… this

CountZero

My conversation would be along the lines of one that Cougar is advocating: “Right, you’ve quoted me a price for the car plus towbar, which I agreed to and paid for, as a written contract of sale, and now you’re telling me that, because of your error, you want me to cough up an extra £250?
    You either honour the deal that I’ve paid for, or you waste your time and money removing the equipment you’ve fitted, and I find someone else to fit one. I await your response”
    I’m getting too old and cranky to be pissed around with because of someone else’s cockup.

matt_outandabout

countzero +1

chomp
    Free Member

They haven’t actually started to fit the towbar yet – so they aren’t standing to lose anything I guess.

It’s a sale from a Skoda main dealer – so I have no qualms about telling them to do one and while the car is exactly the one we were after I’m considering telling them to stick it if they insist on the additional fees.

slowoldman

Yes I like Flaperon’s idea.

ulysse
    Free Member

parkesie – Member
    What part of a tow bar can you forget that is £250 that isn’t the whole towbar?

I’m guessing the dragging a now defunct car down to the main dealer to connect diagnostics and wake the ecu to the fact it now has towing electrics?

nealglover
    Free Member

As (most) others have said.

No way would I be paying any extra.

I would walk away before if part with anymore cash after the deal is done and sorted.

They will be left with a car that has a towbar fitted (that most people don’t want)
    Or have to take it off, and be left with a towbar they don’t want.

[edit] just seen OP response.

Tell them you aren’t paying any extra, and walk away if they don’t agree.
    Then go to the next nearest Skoda dealer and tell them the tale, give them the Reg no. They will transfer it in from group stock.
    They will love to nick a deal from a rival dealership.

jonnyboi

Not just no, but hell no.

Or, agree to pay it and then casually mention that your forgot to tell them that you’re paying a grand less for the car itself

kcal

Skoda main dealer you say.. second name rhymes with shark?

PePPeR

Tell them to go do one, a towbar complete with electrics is about £100. They take an hour or two to fit depending on how they fit together. Even a posh detachable one would only be double or so.

Which car is it?
    What sort of tow ball are you having fitted?
    Have you had it priced up for fitting separately at a towbar fitting service place?
    If not give one a ring so you know the market rate, you’ll be in a much stronger position.

Pook

Ooh which Skoda dealer?

timba
    Free Member

As ulysse said ^^, they’re not as simple as bolt-on, scotchlock connector, job done…nearly new car, manufacturer’s warranty, etc. I’d use a main dealer too

I’d be deeply unimpressed at being asked to pay extra though

Murray

The towbar for my A3 needed a new rear cross member, might be the same on Skodas.

I’d pay the £200 but ask for a £200 credit on next service.

rickmeister

They haven’t actually started to fit the towbar yet – so they aren’t standing to lose anything I guess.

So, get refunded for the bit of the tow bar you paid for but they haven’t fitted (oh sweet irony if its £250), keep the car you want and go to a third party supplier.

Stuffed full of win

fourbanger
    Free Member

So, get refunded for the bit of the tow bar you paid for but they haven’t fitted (oh sweet irony if its £250), keep the car you want and go to a third party supplier.

So they effectively add £250 to the price of the car?

No deal or original deal.

br
    Free Member

Tell them to go do one, a towbar complete with electrics is about £100. They take an hour or two to fit depending on how they fit together. Even a posh detachable one would only be double or so. [/I]

Yeah, right…

When was the last time you had one fitted to a modern car, especially if you want the proper electrics (which you probably do).

http://www.towsure.com/skoda-octavia-iii-hatch-saloon-5e-2013-detachable-towbar

£500 with universal and £700 with manufacturers.

redstripe
    Free Member

I just had a fixed towbar fitted to a vehicle which was £250, but some places wanted the same again on top for extra electrics and reprogramming the ECU so stuff like stability control works etc (the car knows it’s towing something). Worth doing if you are towing big trailers and caravans etc and it’s still under warranty. Sounds like they forgot to add this, but that’s their problem to bear.

TheGingerOne

Ring another Skoda dealer and ask for a quote for fitting a tow bar to the same model of car. Might help the decision making?

stevextc
    Free Member

It’s a sale from a Skoda main dealer – so I have no qualms about telling them to do one and while the car is exactly the one we were after I’m considering telling them to stick it if they insist on the additional fees.

As Neilglover say’s ….
    Another main dealer will get the same car transferred.

Whatever price you’re paying is just a number they make enough money on.
    The towbar is really irrelevant … like floor mats etc. …

Your already paying above the odds for a main dealer … the reason presumably because you want peace of mind, simplicity and someone you can trust not to rip you off.

They are failing on the someone you can trust part from my perspective.

When was the last time you had one fitted to a modern car, especially if you want the proper electrics (which you probably do).

Yes but it doesn’t COST them this … they are not buying the tools/programmer they are just getting one of their mechanics who’s already employed to fit a tow bar.

alibongo001

FWIW I’ve had a couple of tow bars fitted to cars by a local fitter.

He does sub contract work for the main dealers – you can get the same fitter, fitting the same tow bar for a couple of hundred quid less if you go direct.

Main dealers like this kind of activity – £200 profit for doing nothing!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

+countzero

original deal, or no deal

in fact after that pisstake I would probably tell them to do one on principle.

who is the dealer, just so as I can avoid them?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I just had a fixed towbar fitted to a vehicle which was £250

Likewise, and all electrics function as they should, just need to be aware that the reversing sensors aren’t aware of the extra couple of inches of protruding towball.

Personally, I’m with Cougar and would act on principle, that principle being I prefer not to deal with dishonest people, which they seem to be.

sharkbait
    Free Member

He does sub contract work for the main dealers – you can get the same fitter, fitting the same tow bar for a couple of hundred quid less if you go direct.

Main dealers like this kind of activity – £200 profit for doing nothing!probably true, but if the car is in warranty and you have an[y] electrical problem the dealer could deny responsibility if the towbar had been fitted by a 3rd party.
    So it depends on the car to some extent.

ThePinkster

A main dealer should have all these costs already price-listed and ready to quote if asked. to suddenly add another 250 quid on after they’ve quoted you really is taking the P.

I’d ask them to prove where the error was made before telling them they’re incompetent and I wasn’t paying it.

philjunior
    Free Member

To be fair, I’d never directly accuse the dealer of being dishonest. They might just be incompetent. If their name rhymes with an old park, I would suspect both though.

In either case, your best approach is get the money knocked off for the towbar and pay someone else to fit one. Unless you maybe now don’t trust them on something else.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

probably true, but if the car is in warranty and you have an[y] electrical problem the dealer could deny responsibility if the towbar had been fitted by a 3rd party.
    So it depends on the car to some extent.

Which has been well done and dusted in consumer law in recent years.

The dealer would have to prove that the failure was a result of the third party work. The days when they can say “ah but you got it serviced somewhere else so it’s not our fault” and so on are well past.

nealglover
    Free Member

but some places wanted the same again on top for extra electrics and reprogramming the ECU so stuff like stability control works etc (the car knows it’s towing something). Worth doing if you are towing big trailers and caravans etc and it’s still under warranty.

How does this work if I was towing a massive caravan one day, and then a towbar mount bike carrier with one bike on it the next day?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

How does this work if I was towing a massive caravan one day, and then a towbar mount bike carrier with one bike on it the next day?

with properly fitted electronics, it’s completely programmable

Cougar

I’m particularly enjoying the addition of the Competition Pro there.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I think what flaperon said originally is the right answer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Additional charge after paying for (nearly) new car & towbar fitting’ is closed to new replies.