Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Adapter for making old brakes work on new forks
  • twrch
    Free Member

Just for fun, I’m looking at fitting a Hope Mono M4 to a 2018 Pike. The Pike is 180mm direct mount, and the caliper is IS, apparently designed for 200mm. There’s an adapter, HBSM20H, that apparently will fit with a +20mm rotor size (compared to the 180mm fork mount). That’s fine, because I want 200mm anyway. However – if the caliper is designed for 200mm, won’t that add more to the effective rotor size needed? And therefore I’m stuffed?

nixie

That adaptor requires +20mm to the IS caliper size when used on a 160mm postmount. Your stuffed there already as I don’t think you can get a 220mm rotor (are your sure it’s not a 203mm caliper anyway). Just to make it worse you have a 180mm postmount on your forks. By my calcs that would mean you’d need a 240mm rotor!

Drac

A spoon?

teethgrinder

So. I used to have one of those +20mm Pots to IS mounts you could have had, but I can’t find it.

Is the M4 the Mono M4 (black/gold)? Is it a caliper #3? If so, that should work on a 2018> PM fork with a 200-203mm rotor.

KCNC also make them but you don’t need to go up a rotor size
    https://clee-cycles.co.uk/P1043/product
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/KCNC-Brake-Adapter-Anodized-160mm/dp/B003TWVV6S

Just remember these are for old PM forks where the PM caliper bolts directly on with a 160mm rotor, not the newer onew that do 180mm

tomhoward

Your stuffed there already as I don’t think you can get a 220mm rotor

Trickstuff make a 223mm rotor, though it voids the warranty of the vast majority of forks.

twrch
    Free Member

My buddy tells me it’s for 200 sized rotors, which would make it a caliper number 8. I guess that could theoretically work with a 0mm adapter and a 223mm disc, but I’m not too keen on that.

Phil_H

You could pick up a no.3 caliper from ebay and run that with the +20 mount and the 200 rotors or try the Kcnc 160-160 which may allow you to fit your no.8 caliper with your 200 rotor.

teethgrinder

Alternatively, hoy it on the back if the frame is IS. That should run 180-185mm.

Onzadog
    Free Member

First things first, we need to work out which caliper you have.

My understanding is that Hope used caliper halves to fit different sized rotors rather than adaptors. I have a couple of number 8 calipers as spares for when I ran oversized rotors and I run a number 5 on the front of my road bike.

If your caliper is a one piece mono type then I believe they were all a standard size. If you wanted larger rotors, you used an adaptor rather than swapping the caliper. (I could be wrong as I went straight from an E4 split caliper to a post mount V2).

nixie

Pretty sure they did different sized mono block calipers in the black and gold colour. The later silver and black design switched to postmount.only calipers.

timoth27

Onzadog your not quite right there, the mono m4 (black and gold) came in size 5,3 & 8 which is 160/180/200mm rotors and later p/m as well, the earlier m4 (silver 2 price) also came in 5,3 & 8 BUT that was 165/185/205mm rotors. What I would do is pop the 8 on the back (assuming IS mount) and source a 3 for the front and use the kcnc +0 mount which should give you 200 on the front as the 180 fork mount gives you the +20mm.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Fair enough, as I say, I jumped straight from older split calipers to post mount stuff.

Thing is, the OP said apparently to suit 200mm as told by their friend and assumes its a number 8 caliper.

What would be useful at this point for us to help the OP, is to know what size marking is on the caliper in question.

Can the OP confirm its a number 8?

timoth27

Yeah think we need a bit more info op, like onzadog said also be good to clarify which caliper it is ( silver or black)

squirrelking
    Free Member

Word of warning on the KCNC mount – I have one here that I’ve been trying to fit an old No.8 mono onto my 2015 Sektors and it’s 10mm out, was only bought a month or 2 ago. Have verified that the mount fits a 160mm post brake but the adaptor is throwing it out to 210mm. Of course I found that out AFTER I filed the bastarding thing down to fit my forks. I tried to mount my No.3 E4 with a 203mm rotor but had to mess about with shims that still weren’t aligning it right.

I’m going to speak to Clee and see what they say, it’s probably a dodgy batch so if thats the case I may have a chance to return it. Gonna try and refit it again first though in case I was just being thick.

You could pick up a no.3 caliper from ebay and run that with the +20 mount and the 200 rotors or try the Kcnc 160-160 which may allow you to fit your no.8 caliper with your 200 rotor.

Nope, those PM +20 mounts all assume you are starting from a 160mm mount. The OP would need a No.5 caliper to run +20 from a 180mm mount or a No.3 to run a KCNC 160-160.

Yeah think we need a bit more info op, like onzadog said also be good to clarify which caliper it is ( silver or black)

He already said it’s a Mono with IS mounting, it doesn’t matter what colour it is as it could only be a 1st gen Mono. As it’s 200mm it’s either an IS 8 or a Boxxer 6 mount, if the latter he’s stuffed and needs a new caliper.

timoth27

The op actually said it’s “apparently” for 200mm rotor we where just looking for clarification, sorry had forgotten about the No6,

this is the part from clee.

https://clee-cycles.co.uk/P1043/product

It clearly says at the top of the description they are aware that it “might” not fit and are happy for you to return if it doesn’t.

The 2 piece m4 also came with the mini lever it wouldn’t be the first time someone mixed up mono m4 and m4 hence looking for clarity.

twrch
    Free Member

Well this stirred up some excitement! I’m getting the caliper this evening, will update then. I already have a matching Mini Mono for the rear, otherwise fitting it on the back would be a great idea.

squirrelking
    Free Member

It clearly says at the top of the description they are aware that it “might” not fit and are happy for you to return if it doesn’t.

I’m aware of that however it’s the mechanics of it all going together they are referring to, mine fitted after I ground a bit away to fit against the fork leg. It’s the fact that mine is 10mm out when its all bolted together that is the problem.

The 2 piece m4 also came with the mini lever it wouldn’t be the first time someone mixed up mono m4 and m4 hence looking for clarity.

True, theres an XC4 caliper on fleabay masquerading as an M4 right now *facepalm*

munrobiker
    Free Member

Giant used to make a post fork to IS brake adaptor that didn’t need an increase in rotor size, like the KCNC one, but it wouldn’t work with M4 calipers and I suspect that the KCNC one is the same. I doubt you’ll get this to fit.

Given the cost you’re looking at investing – a 220mm rotor (£45 for a SRAM centerline one from bike-components.de) and an adaptor that may or may not work (£15 for the KCNC one) – and how good these old Mono M4s with the Mini lever were (compared to modern brakes, they’re pretty darned crap. They weren’t especially good even at the time), I think you’d be better off selling them and buying some Deore or SLX brakes, or some second hand Sram Guide Rs.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Okay so I had another bash at the KCNC adaptor, with a 203mm rotor I still have the pad overhanging by about a mm in the middle. This obviously isn’t ideal but will do for now. That’s with a No.8 M4 Mono which fits fine BTW, with my older E4 I needed to fit a flush screw to the lower postmount, I imagine an older split M4 would have the same issues.

M4’s can always be upgraded to Tech levers if necessary but to be honest I’ve never had any issues with the ones I own (3 plus an E4) other than the original metal pistons seizing when they were left to rot for a few years. I know some folk just don’t get on with them but I’d take them any day over SRAM crap that you have to throw away as soon as it takes a wobbler.

timoth27

I’m with squirrelking, I have always liked the feel (modulation) of hope brakes and my mono m4’s still stop me quite happily (and have done for 15 years) and I’m 6’1 and the wrong side of 16 stone. Hate the way Shimano brakes feel.

On a side note if you look at the reviews on the kcnc adapter it seems some people have got it to work without modification others have had to modify. Honestly I’d order one and see, if it just needs a tweek have a go if there’s no way just return it. All you will lose is time.

twrch
    Free Member

Ok so it’s definitely a no. 8 caliper. Back to the drawing board! No stealth ads for crusty old Hope calipers??

timoth27

Pretty sure I’ve got a 3 (Maybe even a 5) if you would like to swap the calipers? All you would need to do is give it a bleed and your away. The 3 would need a 160-160 mount or the 5 would want a 160-180 mount. Pm me if your interested.

twrch
    Free Member

Thanks to some stealth ads, I swapped my no. 8 (200mm) caliper for a no. 3 (180mm) and got a +0mm adapter. Sadly, it didn’t work out – the fork lower touches the adapter. I can space it out, but then I’m using about half of the brake track. I can either keep an eye out for a no.5 caliper and +20mm adapter, or give up for now and buy another brakeset.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CzpCfk9vwZDghhZb7

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lol @ Drac

schmiken

That’s a shame, sorry it didn’t work out for you 🙁

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Adapter for making old brakes work on new forks’ is closed to new replies.