• This topic has 51 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Abused and came off on black ice. How was your commute?
  • zilog6128

To try and go around a cyclist could put you in deep snow or truck ruts into oncoming traffic etc…..

Can you imagine what a crazy world it would be if people actually waited until it was safe before overtaking other road users?!

nedrapier

Fine. mostly. Goretex overtrousers, but no buff. Sleet and a headwind on my shiny bald head wasn’t pleasant.

Happy I only had 2.5 miles either end of the train ride.

philjunior
    Free Member

The canal towpath was quiet, very few patches of ice mostly just frost so fine on the normal tyres.

Beautiful views of frozen trees and a brief view over to the Campsies made up for the frozen bottle. Beard a bit icy too.

highlandman
    Free Member

Fine this morning; 2/3rd road, 1/3 trail over the 17 mile length of my low level route today. Took the rigid 29er with normal off-road tyres and no issues, despite some snow and ice around. Just like the Embra folk, we had a great sunrise too just as I got down into central Dundee.
    Friday night’s fat bike ride home over the Sidlaws was superb (the ‘high’ route), if a little challenging at times. Especially the 2km section of frozen and snow lined hoof-prints from dozens of cattle who spent the autumn in these hills. It’s going to take weeks of regular riding to turn that section back into a civilised trail… But still more fun than dodging wayward BMWs and soft roaders.

lovewookie

the mile and a bit ride in this morning was chilly. then I noticed one of the fork seals had migrated up the stanction, so not a great ride, that and frozen cables. :-/

scaled
    Free Member

Was alright, apart from the random bits of ice trying to kill me

Pretty:

With some satisfying noises…

View post on imgur.com

fatmax

A very dry frost between Edinburgh and South Queensferry, so not very icy at all, and actually two parts of the cyclepath had been gritted. First time I have seen parts of the River Almond start to freeze over. So it was lush, and no knobbers!

fatmax

A very dry frost between Edinburgh and South Queensferry, so not very icy at all, and actually two parts of the cyclepath had been gritted. First time I have seen parts of the River Almond start to freeze over. So it was lush, and no knobbers!

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Just went out, Smashed my boys into the saddle, Broken saddle rails and now walking like John Wayne..

tjagain

Just the usual commute for me

A few years ago when we had bad snow and ice in Edinburgh for weeks I had great fun commuting on my MTB with ice spike tyres. I was doing bank work IE zero hours and got loads of shifts as the car drivers couldn’t get to work but I could. great fun overtaking cars and using mounds of ice for jumps.

I always commute by bike no matter the weather. Just make sure its the right bike and tyres

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Had Gravdals fitted despite no ice today, usual commute in and steady pace hill reps on the way home.

Tomorrow could be fun commuting and later on delivery, but at least it will be dry.

kcr
    Free Member

I had the same experience commuting into Edinburgh during that heavy snow a few years back. A71 to the west was gridlocked with a 10 mile queue of traffic doing 3 miles an hour. I took the deserted back roads and had a lovely, quiet ride through deep powder on 28mm Marathons (without studs).
    However, I’m a firm believer in studded Schwalbe Winters when it gets icy.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Abused and came off on black ice. How was your commute?’ is closed to new replies.