Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Abu Qatada
  • anagallis_arvensis

Whats he supposed to have done?
    Why can we not put him on trial?

trailmonkey

isn’t it something to do with timon and pumbaa ?

yossarian
    Free Member

Crucifixion?

Line on the left, one cross each

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why can we not put him on trial?

Don’t know……maybe because of lack of evidence ?

“He has not been able to see the evidence against him neither has his lawyer. The only person representing him is a special advocate who is not allowed to speak to him or his solicitor. There you have the bizarre situation where someone is representing him who has never met him or his lawyer”

The case against Abu Qatada

anagallis_arvensis

Doesnt sound as terrifying a person as we would be made to believe.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6vLAa-kylM[/video]

wrecker
    Free Member

Why would we want to put him on trial? Let someone else do it.
    The sooner he’s gone the better.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Doesnt sound as terrifying a person as we would be made to believe.

Well after reading “There you have the bizarre situation where someone is representing him who has never met him or his lawyer” I’m getting quite terrified of British justice.

I hope it’s not true.

bainbrge

For some reason, facially he reminds me of Ray Mears.

anagallis_arvensis

Wrecker trying him ourself may be the quicker option, seems like May may have **** it up.

footflaps

With a beard like that we should be able to deport him without any form of trial / hearing. He’s quite obviously a serious threat to our country and should be deported immediately.

bainbrge

Ernie, even someone as deliberately contrary as you (in the sense of your online persona of course) can’t argue that he hasn’t had access to due process (or the largesse of the welfare state). If it wasn’t for the fact that on balance I believe we should try to be exemplary in matters of justice, I would be happy to pay for his plane ticket myself.

It’s also made me pretty antagonistic towards the ECHR, a position I didn’t think I would reach.

Northwind

<enters thread planning to make Lion King joke. Is secretly pleased to find out he’s not the only person to think it, yet will pretend to be disappointed to be beaten to it>

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ernie, even someone as deliberately contrary as you (in the sense of your online persona of course) can’t argue that he hasn’t had access to due process

😕 I’m not arguing anything – I know nothing about the case, the clue was in my comment, quote : “Don’t know”

I’m simply saying that I hope the following is not true :

“There you have the bizarre situation where someone is representing him who has never met him or his lawyer”

anagallis_arvensis

Seems no one really knows why he’s the bogey man then.

allthepies
    Free Member

I thought it was due to this:-

“In 1999, Qatada was sentenced in absentia by Jordan to life imprisonment with hard labour for conspiracy to carry out terror attacks, and subsequently in 2000 to a further 15 years for his involvement in a plot to bomb tourists attending Millennium celebrations in Jordan”

will
    Free Member

Everytime I hear this chaps name I can’t help but think about Homeland 😆

rkk01
    Free Member

Someone will be along soon…

… to suggest an amendment to “Derek’s Law” – just the thing for such inconvenient situations where one has “insufficent evidence”, or “inadmissable evidence” from those chaps in MI5 or over at Langley… 🙄

anagallis_arvensis

Allthepirs, he’s been tried for them i was under the impression they eanted to try him for something else? Why has he been locked up here?

zippykona

Having read the guardian link I can only wonder why we gave him asylum.
    How big a scumbag do you have to be to be denied access to my country?
    On one hand we are bombing the shit out of someone elses country killing god knows how many innocent people, while carefully protecting one of the people we are trying to catch.
    I may not know the full story on this, feel free to point out any errors I have made. Educate me.

wrecker
    Free Member

I may not know the full story on this, feel free to point out any errors I have made. Educate me.

No, I think you’ve pretty much got it. 😀

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Mrs May may well regret making such an issue of his deportation. The ECHR are bound to take into account the political ‘noises off’ around the issue and Cameron’s hostility to to the EHCR.

yossarian
    Free Member

‘derek’s law’

😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Watching Theresa May’s false bravado and over-confidence in the HoC a couple of nights ago filled me with dread at the time – I remember thinking, I hope this confidence is deserved. Next day, the balloon looks well and truly burst. Bloody shambles – pathetic when politicians can’t dot the i’s and cross the t’s correctly. Thank goodness these people are kept out of important jobs in the real world!! 😉

Someone is due an almighty boll***ing in the Home Office.

D0NK

With a beard like that we should be able to deport him without any form of trial / hearing

Ed-O must be bricking it.

How big a scumbag do you have to be to be denied access to my country?

[b]Your[/b] country?

khani
    Free Member

“Derek’s law” 😆 every time I read that it makes me larf as well…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

He’s taking the mickey.

Surely David Cameron/the justice system has the ability to:
    – pick up a phone and make him ‘disappear’
    – refuse any form of bail
    – remind him of the fact he’s wanted for trial of 2 terrorist plots and just dump him on a plane to Jordan, European appeal or not

I hate to say it but this kind of fannying around wouldn’t happen in the states…

binners

If our glorious leaders paid as much attention to legal detail – ANY interest at all might be a start – as they do trying to write tomorrow’s Daily Mail headlines, then maybe biblical (Quranic?) scale **** ups like this might be avoided

I can imagine there’s a bit of this kind of thing going on at the moment…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5jr33wiVZQ[/video]

And ‘Dereks Law’? Genius! 😆

D0NK

this kind of fannying around wouldn’t happen in the states…

ah yes those paragons of virtue in the international community

zippykona

Exactly how big will the fine be if we just **** him right off out of here in defiance of the court ruling?
    I will organise a whip round.

jota180
    Free Member

I’d just put him on the plane and if the euro court complain, just do a Gallic shrug
    Often seems to be the easiest way with Euro matters

wrecker
    Free Member

Exactly what we should do zippykona. If the europeans think he deserves to be in europe, they can have him. The UK should be able to decide who remains in its borders.

binners

That would be an idea. Drop him on the steps of the EU headquarters in Brussels. If we wanted to add a Gallic touch, we could maybe then spray the reception area with silage, then set fire to some cars in the road outside?

FuzzyWuzzy

Out of interest, what are the consequences of just bundling him on a plane? Are you just in contempt of court of the ECHR and if so who is? Is it the UK government as a whole (in which case who cares?), or is it the PM/HS as individuals (in which case I can understand why they haven’t just bundled him onto a plane).

wrecker
    Free Member

How about a “whoops he’s escaped and we don’t know where he is” type arrangement?
    Drop him over at Diego Garcia. Job jobbed.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it be easier just to apply the rule of law?

binners

Dereks Law?

If we’re on about the ‘proper’ law, then senior government ministers, and their no doubt obscenely well-paid legal advisors seem to be struggling with the interpretation of that a bit, at the moment

jota180
    Free Member

Out of interest, what are the consequences of just bundling him on a plane?

Hard to say, we could always claim there is a margin of appreciation applied here

anagallis_arvensis

I believe Jack Straw may be finding out the consequences of just putting them on a plane.

Junkyard
    Free Member

May was warned when the actual date was by the EU and she disagreed with them so proceeded anyway …and some think the Tories are arrogant and cockily self assured.

If this goes pear shaped [ and he then sues for wrongful arrest] then many heads really do deserve to roll for that.

Dereks Law it should remain a STW in joke for years to come 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Abu Qatada’ is closed to new replies.