Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Aah, poor little love
  • frankconway

laurence fox can’t get a mortgage after making racist allegations…https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67549043

I think the correct reaction is…oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Poopscoop

Lol, I saw that.

He’s lost his GBN gig, his agent ditched him and he cant get a mortgage (at a good price at least!) as he HAS been offered a mortgage in fact, it’s just “unaffordable”. I bet he supported Truss’ mini budget too.😁 Also I doubt many will touch him for acting purposes now and he decides to blame it all on him being called a racist, not him being and absolute **** of a man. I doubt anyone would have cared if it weren’t for the fact that he obviously *is* rascist… Not to mention the absolute bingo card of other “isms” he is.

Let’s also not forget that the litigation he is pursuing is also a countersuit… Against the people that called out his racism and after they sued him for calling them pedophiles which they most definitely are not.

It’s almost as if free speech can have consequences!

The far right was always going to eat itself, human centipede style.

MoreCashThanDash

I have no sympathy with him whatsoever, but from an objective point of view it’s a potentially fascinatingly case.

Paedophile is clearly an outright – and career ending – libel, and he will lose (other than the highly unlikely scenario he was right)

Be interesting to see if the court upholds the racist comment. Has it affected his reputation ie was he considered racist before? Is it fair comment? I’m guessing they’ve had to trawl his posting history to establish previous form?

If they’d just called him a **** there wouldn’t have been a case to answer!

funkmasterp

“I felt that one of the most important things I had in this world was my good name, and they were trying to ruin it.”

I can’t tell if he’s trolling with this statement.

nickc

dildo something consequences something lube something…

I think if you decide to ride the anti-woke culture war baiting tiger, hang on more tightly, or get off before it bites you on the arse. 

hatter

Mortgages are based on how likely you are to re-pay, he’s lost his job and is highly likely to get sued into the ground due to entirely unforced bell-endery.

The reasons he is where he is are down to his culture war stuff but I suspect most people in his financial position  would also be treated very similarly, the bean counters care about where you are, not how you got there.

I’m sure he’s going to spend the next few years endlessly squealing that the woke blob are cancelling him because that’s the grift now.

Best response is to ignore him.

maccruiskeen

He hasn’t lost work because someone mentioned him in a tweet. He’s lost work because his agent stopped working for him and he seems to have done nothing about that, like get another agent. Agents work for you, not the other way around so theres nothing to stop you just getting another one if it’s not working out, and theres actually nothing to stop you getting work without one. I work within the same industry as him, some of my colleagues have agents, I and many others don’t and we’re equally all busy. He seems to have filled his time with something else.

If you work in film and TV drama in any capacity and haven’t, for the most part, been extraordinarily busy for the last 3 years (recent 6 months of US strikes excepted if they’ve impacted your production but there was still lots going on – the strikes actually led to more work for me) then you’d almost have to be deliberately avoiding work. It’s been an absolute boom time, a gold rush frankly.

DickBarton

As much as that is all very much common sense, I suspect the lawyers will be weaving their way around all this to paint the picture that that isn’t how it works and he is hard done by not due to his own actions and inactions but by a tweet or 3…
    I’ve no real idea how the law works, but I’d hope the judge is also aware of the comment sense reality and is willing to let them talk it all out and then point out that it was in his power to actually get work himself…and a new agent, etc.

nickc

He’s lost work because his agent stopped working for him and he seems to have done nothing about that,

I don’t think that Fox isn’t working becasue he’s got no agent, I think Fox isn’t working because no one (apart from from GB News; and even they sacked him) wants anything to do with him. 

tjagain

IIRC Fox has to show two things – that the allegation he is racist is not true and that he lost out because his reputation was damaged.  There have been cases where the libel was found proven but as the persons reputation was shit beforehand they got 1p in damages

I think Fox is going to find proving both parts very difficult

fossy

He’ll be asking his sister to bank roll him.

ransos
    Free Member

Be interesting to see if the court upholds the racist comment. Has it affected his reputation ie was he considered racist before? Is it fair comment? I’m guessing they’ve had to trawl his posting history to establish previous form?

I think he’s said enough publicly to justify calling him racist as a reasonably held opinion. But I don’t know if libel law works that way.

maccruiskeen

I don’t think that Fox isn’t working becasue he’s got no agent, I think Fox isn’t working because no one (apart from from GB News; and even they sacked him) wants anything to do with him.

But thats not the argument he’s making. He’s clearly a good actor becuase with a suitable script and a bit of direction he managed not to come across on screen as an odious prick for nearly a quarter of a century. If if he was coming across as an odious prick he was at least managing to persuade us he was pretending. Anyway he’s so good he can even play ‘leftie woke’ when the occasion demands

tjagain

I think he’s said enough publicly to justify calling him racist as a reasonably held opinion. But I don’t know if libel law works that way.

Those he is suing have to show its was a genuinely held belief and that it was reasonable

again IIRC

nickc

that the allegation he is racist is not true

Racism is a statement of opinion*, not fact. so under common law Fox’s counter claim probably isn’t going to go far. Whereas Fox’s allegation that the two claimants were paedophiles is a statement of  fact under common law (you either are, or aren’t), so on the face of it, Fox is gonna loose.

*Although I think you have to show the basis for your opinion was one that was clear, and that a reader would also understand that your reaction (calling someone racist) was in relation to that. I think they’ve cleared that hurdle as well.

Poopscoop

Anyway he’s so good he can even play ‘leftie woke’ when the occasion demands

For some reason he looks really convincing in the drug taking part of the trailer.

Joking aside, this role obviously has an agenda, playing Biden’s son. Possibly looking at making a move to America, where he will be welcomed with open arms by Fox etc?

4.6 on IMDb, a low budget dog whistle production filmed in Serbia. He’s basically painted himself into this position, low budget stuff most will never have heard of, pandering to the US MAGA mob.

nickc

pandering to the US MAGA mob.

Eventually that’s where they all end up, and are paid like all the other culture-war talking heads by the Koch Brothers, or by Voss money, there’s every flavour from Alex Jones and Nick Fuentes at one end all the way through to Stephen Crowder, Ben Shapiro and Joe Rogan at the other. All he needs to do is find a space and a angle…

gobuchul
    Free Member

Those quotes in that article.

Absolute WGBE.

zomg

Did he really say those things with the intention of exonerating himself? He comes across as a deluded fantasist and an utter creep.

ernielynch

According to the link:

During a trial in London in November, Fox was described as an alleged “intelligent racist with an agenda”.

I don’t recall coming across the term ‘intelligent racist’ before but the bar must be set pretty low if Laurence Fox qualifies, bearing in mind today’s development.

franksinatra

That has cheered me up on a dark, rainy January day.

“What is a racist? Every single person in this country knows what a racist is, except the people that dominate every single national institution that we have.”

What on earth is he on about?

MoreCashThanDash

I’d never have guessed the thread title, but I figured it would be running again after the verdict.

Oh dear. How sad. Never mind.

PrinceJohn

Asked whether it was racist to say “Black people in the UK should go home”, Fox said: “Depends on what context.”

What an absolute clown

pondo

There’s a shame. Hope they take him to the cleaners.

martinhutch

‘Intelligent racist’

I guess that would describe a racist who isn’t explicitly and obviously racist, but is cunning enough to tip-toe around the boundary with statements which are deliberately ambiguous or could be explained away another way.

Not sure Fox has managed that, TBH, and the judgement doesn’t exactly give him a clean bill of health either.

maccruiskeen

What on earth is he on about?

I don’t think even he knows.

As he digs deeper and deeper holes for himself he seems to need to tell himself that the views he’s expressing are the ones that everyone… every single one …. hold, but can’t say and that only he, somehow, is uniquely able to voice.

What seems odd is there seems to quite a lot of people who seem to inhabit space outside of ‘everyone’ that seems to include every single broadcaster, every single court, and every single wife who’d seemingly rather to sue him and sack him and divorce him as their way of voicing their views. 🙂

maccruiskeen

Absolute WGBE.

Working Group on the Blue Economy? Sounds a bit woke.

frankconway

Ignorant, egotistical, ‘intelligent racist’?
    He’s an odious, thoroughly obnoxious and repugnant excuse for a human being.

brownperson
    Free Member

The problem with the far right at this moment, is that whilst individuals like Lawrence Fox may end up discredited, others will simply pop up in his place. Many others. The real battle isn’t against overprivileged posh tory boys, it’s against the whole rise in fascism and far-right ideology. Many high-profile figures have fallen, yet still the problem gets worse. So it’s important to forget Lawrence Fox right now; he’s done, he’s over, and concentrate on the next little nazi sock puppet. It’s a game of whack-a-mole that just gets harder and harder.

pictonroad

That’s incredible. What an absolute helmet.

ernielynch

Many high-profile figures have fallen, yet still the problem gets worse.

Does it? In what way is the problem getting worse, for example how many more EDL marches have occurred since Yaxley-Lennon’s relentless spiral into complete obscurity and irrelevance?

Things seem to be better now than a few years back, certainly not worse. Even the posh respectable bigots in the Tory party are squabbling among themselves and will soon be out of office.

Poopscoop

gobuchul
    Free Member
    Those quotes in that article.

Absolute WGBE.

Id only read the BBC article which just gave the result of the case not what Fox had said in his own character assassination defence.

What a piece of work.

brownperson
    Free Member

Does it? In what way is the problem getting worse?

Far right extremism has been on the rise across Europe for the last 3 decades at least, and more so since 2001. Attacks on migrants communities have increased, as have Islamophobia and antisemitism. Look at all the ‘stop the boats’ rhetoric, the racism behind Brexit, the Rwanda flights scandal, the ‘hostile environment’ and Windrush scandal. Social media has given voices to those who previously had none, so inevitably we’re seeing extremist voices of all kinds, getting airtime. Far right ‘demonstrations’ have been getting more frequent, and larger. 

Things seem to be better now than a few years back, certainly not worse.

If you say so. What do I know?

Klunk
    Free Member
    tjagain

Remember the 70s?   I do.  Now that was nasty for racism

CountZero

Paedophile is clearly an outright – and career ending – libel, and he will lose (other than the highly unlikely scenario he was right)

Well, he’s certainly no Elon Musk, no matter what he might think. Odious little twerp. Should have kept his opinions to himself, I always liked his character in ‘Lewis’. Just goes to show, you never can tell.

batfink
    Free Member

What he said in that article points to him being both an incredibly stupid person, but also somebody who feels such entitlement, that he simply cannot begin to accept the fact that he might be wrong and everyone else right (instead of the other way round).  Unfortunately, he’ll always be able to find somebody to tell him that he’s right – in previous years it would have been some old fella down the pub reassuring him that he’s just saying what everyone else is thinking, but these days there’s a whole toxic community of like-minded bellends who’ll prop him up when he should be bumping along the bottom.

I don’t use the term lightly – but he’s in desperate need to “taking down a peg or two” to encourage some self reflection – a decent settlement leading to bankruptcy should do it (but probably wont).

mattyfez

“The law affords few defences to defamation of this sort,” she continued. “Mr Fox did not attempt to show these allegations were true, and he was not able to bring himself on the facts within the terms of any other defence recognised in law.

Speaking outside the Royal Courts of Justice, Fox described the ruling in his libel case as a “nothing burger”.

I’m sure his followers on social media will whine about it, but at the end of the day he’s just a nasty piece of work, he’s ‘gas-lighting personified’.

He lost his case in the high court… oh diddums. It’s nothing more than sour grapes & noise now.

He once was a reasonably good actor, but now his acting career is reduced to ranting via a web cam that hopefully very few people are watching.

Poopscoop

I found it very telling that his “news conference” he gave outside the court was completely fabricated. They had all been told the verdict via email. It was purely a stage managed little whine about how he’d been delt a huge “injustice”… Which he then went on to rant about even more on X later in the evening. 😁

You know what I hope happens to him?

Not much.

Utter obscurity, that’s the thing he dreads more than anything I suspect.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.