Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • aaarghh!! STRAVA
  • johnny5
    Free Member

only joined recently and have become mildly addicted to trying to get KOM’s on some of the singletrack near where i live.

have been out a couple of times now, and felt like i have absolutely nailed a couple of sections, only to get home and find that they havent registered, even though i have been on the correct path..

anyone else had this problem? using my iphone 4.

Has anyone crashed into another rider/person/horse/tree whilst stravaing (straving?)

i usually ride safely, but strava has created a monster…..

do they have a liability waver on the website?

chojin
    Free Member

And I was just thinking we haven’t had this one for a while 🙂

I suspect you’re not the only one, kiddo!

johnny5
    Free Member

cheers chojin.

did a search but couldnt find owt.

might strap the phone to me dog. a good boot up the rearshould defo get a few KOMs 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

anyone else had this problem? using my iphone 4.

Yes lots, your GPS is pants.

Has anyone crashed into another rider/person/horse/tree whilst stravaing (straving?)

One guy hit a car after running a red light – his fault

i usually ride safely, but strava has created a monster…..

Grow up. If I told you to jump off a cliff would you? Strava doesn’t create the monster.

do they have a liability waver on the website?

Yes it’s a bit long winded so here is the summary
    DON’T BE A COCK

Ride like you normally would, enjoy the logging & fitness aspects. After time you might make a KOM “in control”.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

That’s really annoying but what’s almost as annoying is 3 of my KOMs have magically disappeared and my times on the segments have been replaced by those that my nan could beat on her Zimmer frame. 😕

Superficial
    Free Member

In general I’ve found the GPS in my iPhone 4 to be great. Whereas the one in my girlfriend’s 3GS is terrible. Bear in mind that whoever set the segment might have a shoddy GPS. I think if hundreds of people ride it, Strava’s servers will ‘correct’ the segment / average out the points between various riders.

orangeboy
    Free Member

It’s seems that its mostly short down hill segments through woodland
    That get missed off my ride.
    It’s just one of those things , can’t fix it so don’t worry any more

Phones only sample your position every 3 seconds and garmin every second

There was a link on here the other day to someone blog inc explanation from strava
    But can’t find it right now

milky1980
    Free Member

Strava using Garmin VS Phone

Been using it to wind up my riding buddies 😈

mattjg
    Free Member

For trail riding – a couple of minutes or less on fast singletrack – Strava’s just a toy. I don’ think it’s accurate enough to be taken seriously, either your times or others in the leader table. (Perhaps over a 10 mile road ride it’s more reliable, but that’s not our use case).

It’s still fun though.

Trimix
    Free Member

Once you understand how a GPS works you will realise that getting excited / worried over your time on a short course (in the woods) is really rather pointless.

Go and race your mates in real life – more fun, less excuse for being last.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“So, in the highly unlikely event that I regain the King of the Mountain that was so cruelly taken from me recently, I will now think twice before I hold the severed head of my usurper aloft, metaphorically speaking of course. Instead I will check if my vanquished foe was using an iphone app or a Garmin device. I would hate to be accused of being a Pretender to the Throne”

do you think he read that after he wrote it ??

personally i couldnt care less what device was used … ill just go out and try harder 😉 i like strava as an interval training tool. – certainly far more motivational than using a turbo trainer which id rather use my intensity training energy to chop into a fine dust with a splitting axe.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s strange but I get some reasonable accuracy (3-5s) in wooded singletrack even with a phone (S3) I’m using the GoPro as the check on this – I tried to get a strava profile dot to use as a Pic in Pic on a video but not managed to get the replay working properly. Will try with a different replay software next time.

It’s good enough to have fun with and better probably than having 6 lads chasing each other down shared trails!

allthepies
    Free Member

Do you think there’s a market for an app whereby you select a Strava segment, enter your desired segment time and the app constructs a GPX file which achieves that time ?

Pretty easy to do 😉

stufive
    Free Member

I dont get it i was told yesterday id lost my KOM on a particular segment but when i follow the link it still shows me at the top of the leader table?

trail_rat
    Free Member

make sense – an app for people too lazy to switch on their computer (theres already digitalEPO website) but then i guess the fact they are too lazy to ride their bike and train to be fast then switching on their PC is probably too much of an effort for the fatties too .

richmtb

I use it as a tool for training nothing more.

Its useful for logging miles and showing me my progress over a course I ride often.

I doesn’t make me ride like a dick

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I dont get it i was told yesterday id lost my KOM on a particular segment but when i follow the link it still shows me at the top of the leader table?

Ride uploaded then either cropped or reported or turned into a run etc.

stufive
    Free Member

TBH i suspect it was a cheat but i cant see to see how fast they were going to find out 70 seconds quicker pha!….not that im bothered you understand 😀

ndthornton
    Free Member

It’s seems that its mostly short down hill segments through woodland

GPS signals suffer from multipath propagation in woodland, just as they do in the city – signals bounce off trees or buildings and make it harder for your device to get a fix. Some devices are worse than others. I have heard the Iphone GPS is not great….. but on the plus side my Sony Xperia seems to work fine in trees 😉

jekkyl

I use it to see what sort of distance I ride and to see improvements in my avg speed, it’s a bonus if I hit any segments but I don’t go chasing them. If you go as fast as you can all the time, head down you’ll miss all the beautiful countryside you’re riding through.

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

GPS accuracy in forest is only to around 50+ft, the best Ive seen on my garmin even in the open on a clear day is 20ish feet. Its really not accurate enough for short twisty sections, particularly if they start or finish in the woods.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘aaarghh!! STRAVA’ is closed to new replies.