Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • A82 Road Conditions?
  • tartanscarf

Afternoon all,

Has anyone driven up/down the A82 between Glencoe/Fort William and Inverness recently? If so, how was the road?

My wife is now overdue with the first baby, slightly concerned as this is the first bad snow we’ve had here. I’ve dug out our driveway but I’ll be struggling to dig us out all the way to the hospital 🙂

Sods law and all that…

Cheers
    TS

woody2000

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/scotland/

Good luck mate, I wouldn’t want to be in your position! 🙂

Too late to hire a landy?

mangoridebike

Hi

from spean bridge to fort william this morning the roads were not clear – cars were moving along it slowly 20mph or so. they were being gritted but not making much difference. Its been snowing pretty heavily since, so I wouldn’t fancy heading all the way up to Inverness today.

apparently travel was not recommended along the a82 south of FW this morning

where are you coming from and would the Belford do instead?

tartanscarf

We are coming from Glencoe. The plan is for the baby to be born at the Belford but in case of any complications D will need to be transferred to Raigmore. She’s still pretty relaxed about it all and we have spoken the the midwives about contingency plans etc. Might see if I can sort out some snow tyres this afternoon though.

Woody – most of that is on the east coast and doesn’t apply here. So far..

TS

glenh
    Free Member

Looks a bit snowy but passable up the top at altnafeadh at the moment:

http://trafficscotland.org/components/lev2/image.aspx?cam=83

I’m certainly hoping it will be clear – planning on driving up to the Coe tonight….

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Pretty sure that the local mountain rescue team etc would help you out if push came to shove. Relax – it’ll all be fine.

hels
    Free Member

“push comes to shove” snigger.

fannybaws
    Free Member

is heading south not a safer bet if you really had to? you might get a free flight.

tartanscarf

SBZ- MRT is the contingency plan. I’ve managed to get out of our drive now and am parked in a layby on the back road in case we need to make a run for it.

fannybaws
    Free Member

aye best of luck i am sure you have nothing to worry about.

mangoridebike

Tartanscarf – I’m based in Spean, so not really on your journey, but if you need anything let me know. (Email in profile is prob a better way of getting in touch)

We’ve got a 1 yr old so have a good range of stuff now redundant stuff if needs be.

tartanscarf

Thanks for the info folks.

mango – that’s fantastic, thanks for the offer! I think we’ve got everything for the wee one but will get in touch if we’ve missed anything.

Do you get out on the bike with the West Highland Wheelers?

TS

mangoridebike

TS- Not yet but I intend to next year, the little one has taken up a fair bit of time and energy, but now she’s a wee bit bigger I should get out more.

If you end up getting stuck in hospital and need spares etc let me know.

Hohum
    Free Member

The wind is due to turn around to the east from tomorrow which will start to force the snow showers into the east highlands and Cairngorms.

You can’t discount snow making it through to the west, but it will not be as bad as in the east.

Good luck with everything. I hope baby is delivered safely.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘A82 Road Conditions?’ is closed to new replies.