Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • a week in sierra nevada – tips?
  • mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

I’m booked to go out in just over a week and having never been out there, I need to know if you guys have any gear tips??

I’ve gone for some super tacky highroller 2’s, factor 50 suncream and a long sleeve top but after that i’m entering the unknown.

Has anyone been out there to pass on some great advice that I may have overlooked?

titusrider
    Free Member

make sure you spend plenty of time ordering beer in local bars

Beer….. ohh look free food…. im starving… better order more beer…

Round we go again 🙂

(I did road biking out there but its a lovely area, try and get up to Granada if you have a rest day)

wallop

Electrolytes. Lots of them, even if it’s only for the placebo effect!

Make sure you go and ride the steps in Granada.

anotherstan
    Free Member

“make sure you spend plenty of time ordering beer in local bars

Beer….. ohh look free food…. im starving… better order more beer…

Round we go again “

yep, i was there last oct with switchbacks, and that advice above seems to be the way to go.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Prepare yourself for the rocky switchbacks. Put a pair of cones out fairly close and practice tight, low-speed figure-8s. The trick is to look over your shoulder at the other cone without overbalancing.

Sui
    Free Member

<homer)hmmm beer and bar food<homer> – if going out in Bubion, beer and barfood is all you will find anyway…

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

Bubion is the one!
    I’ve heard good things about beer and tapas but great idea practising the switchbacks!

do you guys think i’ll need mozzy spray/skinsosoft?

think i’ll bolt on a 200mm rotor while i’m at it.

banks
    Free Member

2.4 ust rubber queens ftw!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Prepare yourself for an ace time, but for UK riding to be rubbish in comparison when you return.

Sui
    Free Member

Nah, it’s ok for Mozzies, too hot and dry for them. It’s crcking good fun round there. High rollers are/were tyre of choice – I don’t like the super taky as it is DRRRAAAAGGGG on the road climbs and I don’t believe you get that much more grip than normal when it’s that hot. Yes practice your switchbacks, just learn to counter your natural momentum to go over the bars – feather brakes and learn to hop a little – don’t put 200m rotors on the back it’s overkill and you will end up skidding everywhere. Work on your forearms with those 80’s fist clenching things as they will get a very good work out.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Electrolyte / salt tablets for me are essential when I’m out there. Tubeless is beneficial, and I always take a spare rear mech and mech hanger. Also worth taking a basic first aid kit, nurofen tablets, puncture repair kit and / or tyre patches, brake pads & an EU EHIC insurance card.

I would question the need for super tacky high rollers front and rear. Speaking from personal experience I found super tackies to be far too draggy out there, so unless all the riding is going to be lift assisted I’d maybe consider running a harder compound tyre, at least on the rear. It’s generally very dry and grippy anyway so a normal compound tyre tends to work very well.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

i’m not overly worried about the super tackies as I can take a spare pair of conti’s and i’m a fit little bugger on the road!

i’m pretty sorted with electrolyte, nutrition and Spanish translation for “4 beers please” !

I’ve not yet done the foreign riding thing (and i’m long overdue) so cannot wait!

Yetiman
    Free Member

You’re in for a treat then, the riding out there is awesome 😀

If the dates didn’t clash I’d be out there again in September with Ciclo Montana.

MtbRoutes

Has anyone said knee and elbow pads yet?

Knee and elbow pads.

Leku
    Free Member

Don’t get very drunk on the last night.

You WILL have to get up at 5 am for the airport transfer. You WILL have to stay awake in the van so you don’t throw up. You WILL get the full effect of your hangover as it seeps into your brain.

Take a spare rear mech and mech hanger.

wallop

Good shout. It’s rocky and I crashed loads when I was out there.

tonyd

Went to Bubion with switchbacks a couple of years ago, you’re in for a great time!

I took super tackies and regretted it, felt very sluggish on the climbs, especially when they bond with the melting tarmac!

I’d recommend some knee/shin pads to protect from rocks and thorns, elbow pads not so much but YMMV. Mike has some spare pads but they’re a bit smelly.

+1 mech hanger also. Didn’t need mine but was glad I had it just in case.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve gone for some super tacky highroller 2’s, factor 50 suncream and a long sleeve top but after that i’m entering the unknown.

Ditch the super tackys and the long sleves, it’s too hot for long sleves and there’s still a lot of climbing to do. I’d go with normal trail weight/dual compound tyres like Schwalbe Hans Dampf* or Spesh Eskars. I took super tacky high rollers, and while they were great on the downs (I’d not used propper downhill tyres before, they’re so good it almost felt like cheating), they were properly, properly sucky on the climbs, and there are some big ones as a lot of trails aren’t accessible directy from the public roads which nececitates riding up the last bits.

Factor 50’s a good idea though!

MtbRoutes

I often ride with long sleeves there to keep the sun off my pasty anglo-saxon skin. The sun will be pretty intense this time of year!

traildog
    Free Member

I would take spares of what you can. The place is hard on equipment but getting replacement parts of things isn’t easy. Think about what will stop you from riding if it breaks. Cables and tubes are easy to carry so defo take them. A spare hanger is a must.

Tubeless works well out there, so if not using then at least consider it.

Baggy long sleeve top is a good idea IMHO (contary to above advice). Not so sure about the supertaky’s – it’s your call but they’ll drag and be worn in the week. Plus will they help that much on lose surfaces?

Pads are a good idea. As is insurance, first aid kit, and carrying your euro medical card with you.. 😉

MtbRoutes

A bit of Stan’s fluid squirted into a tube with a removable valve core works great as a puncture deterrent if you don’t have tubeless.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

I’ve bought a couple of endura burner tops which are 3/4 length but also have sun cream to go with.

I was considering going tubeless using a stans kit but considering that its only next Wednesday, I think it might be unwise!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Proper pads – ie elbow/forearm and knee/shin pads are a must. Not for falling off but for protection from the razor sharp thorns!
    I wore knee pads and was amazed at the amount of blood loss 🙂

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

right, troylee knee/shins sorted, now i’m wondering about elbows??!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I made a “definitive packing list” after my trip this year. This is a no expense spared type affair mind you. This is in addition to the guide’s recommended kit list which included things like spare gear cable, multitool and so on.

Full shin-knee pads
    Elbow pads with full protection
    Hard panelled gloves
    Sleeveless jersey
    661 DH padded shorts
    Glasses with clear/dark lenses
    Larger Camelbak/backpack
    First aid kit
    Stan’s fluid
    CO2 canisters
    Topeak Mountain Morph pump
    Bike cleaning fluid
    Cleaning fluid dispenser
    4 x spare inner tubes
    Fork lube
    Chain lube
    Rags
    Torque wrench
    Spirit level, or just don’t bother with removing the stem/top-cap
    Spare valve cores
    Spare spokes
    Mechanic’s wipes
    Baby wipes
    Recovery drink powder
    Isotonic drink powder
    Flapjack bars
    Man-servant if he is willing to travel in economy class

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

All the above and some light weight shin Guards that you can stick on for the decents through the over grown trails, shins cut to shreds try to keep up with mike from switchbacks, +1 for spokes mech hanger chain etc no bike shops nearby my pal had to hire an old enduro from mike due to an important bolt falling out mid decent, CHECK every thinks tight every day, the rocky decents have an ability to loosen everything in hours than would take months at a trail centre.
    P.s it’s amazing you will love it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Take a spare rear mech and mech hanger definitely. I only took a mech but broke both. We also had broken wheels, torn tyres, broken frame.

hot_fiat

Hugely jealous. It’s awesome out there.
    High rollers are gonna be a drag on the ups. Ignitors perhaps?
    Bandana for yer neck?
    Dry chain lube.
    Mech hangar and mech are definitely useful: yes CRC say they can get stuff there next day but in reality the Spanish couriers are a little more laid back than that.
    Tubeless (stan’s) or just stan’s fluid is highly advisable. First year out there with tubes I must’ve had 20 punctures from the thorns. When I went back tubeless the flats simply never happened.
    Spare brake pads (and another set to take with you while riding)
    Camera for the views.
    Enjoy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Full shin-knee pads
    Elbow pads with full protection
    Hard panelled gloves
    Sleeveless jersey
    661 DH padded shorts
    Glasses with clear/dark lenses
    Larger Camelbak/backpack
    First aid kit
    Stan’s fluid
    CO2 canisters
    Topeak Mountain Morph pump
    Bike cleaning fluid
    Cleaning fluid dispenser

4 x spare inner tubes
    Fork lube
    Chain lube
    Rags
    Torque wrench
    Spirit level, or just don’t bother with removing the stem/top-cap
    Spare valve cores

Spare spokes
    Mechanic’s wipes
    Baby wipes

Recovery drink powder
    Isotonic drink powder
    Flapjack bars

Spirit level? It’s so dry that high up your bike could be cleaned with a feather duster. Valve cores and 4 tubes, and stans fluid? Recovery drink might be a good plan, ditto high5 zero or similar, I’d not take sugary drinks though as you drink A LOT (hot, dry air) and stop a lot for coffee so your never far from real food.

toys19
    Free Member

I’m confused about the spirit level too?

hora
    Free Member

Spare old rear mech to go with the spare hanger?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Because I’m a bit anal/paranoid about my stem not being straight 🙁

I didn’t take all these things. They’re just what I’d take in hindsight or if space were no object.

The cumulative fatigue over 7 days riding meant I bonked somewhere on day 5 or 6 just before lunchtime on a hike-a-bike somewhere with no real food apart from some Bloks.

I did take a spare tyre too. And my own Allen keys. I thought it’d save time on waiting for the communal tools to be free.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Should be fine with those tyres.

A dropper post will make life a lot easier if you have one.

All the usual spares listed above.

One thing not mentioned thus far is spare cleats – I had a cleat malfcuntion out there, presumably because I was clicking in and out so much at the techy bits.

Also, pads that cover your elbows/forearms and knees/shins – lots of rocks and jaggy vegetation. And a rucksack that has straps you can fit your pads to – you do a fair bit of climbing in the heat so you won’t want the pads on till you get to the start of the descent.

wallop

Sunglasses!

Cheezpleez

We destroyed our guide one day. He had to have a lie-down. So you might want to pack a spare.

Seriously, it gets hot and there’s often very little shade and you’ll be doing plenty of climbing. Be prepared.

It’s a top place to ride though. Have fun. And make sure you do 57 switchbacks / Flowtastic

FuzzyWuzzy

Kinda depends what riding you’re doing, couple of times I’ve been it’s been more gnarly XC than DH. Hans Dampfs worked well, def run tubeless if you can, I took a spare tubeless tyre + sealant as well jsut in case but didn’t have to use them.
    Took spare brake pads but didn’t have to use, worth doing though
    Didn’t bother with electrolyte pish, water was all I wanted in my camelbak as can spray it over yourself then to
    Took and ate a few energy bars and gels as we were out away from villages for a fair while each day
    Take all the tools you need to assemble/adjust your bike obviously
    One of the group should have a track pump
    Elbow/knee pads well worth taking
    Sunglasses, P20 a must
    Can’t say I remember many flies about, don’t think I used DEET or anything.

mrblobby
    Free Member

From my experience there would recommend some type of sealant in your tyres/tubes. Loads of punctures in the group I was riding with. Some throny bushes out there that shed their spikes all over the trails.

toys19
    Free Member

curiousyellow – Member
    Because I’m a bit anal/paranoid about my stem not being straight

As a fellow analist, I like the sound of this, but how are you doing it?

thedobbster
    Free Member

Learn how to say ‘no salt on my tomatoes’ in spanish!! Serious amounts of salt consumed over there. Great trails though 🙂 Go ride past the Alhambra down the various steps in Granada, makes you feel 5 years old blasting past hundreds of tourists. One of the highlights of riding a bike anywhere for me!

mogrim

I often ride with long sleeves there to keep the sun off my pasty anglo-saxon skin. The sun will be pretty intense this time of year!

This! Make sure you don’t get burnt on the first day, serious sunburn hurts…

And tomatoes need salt on them, the Spanish are right about that one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘a week in sierra nevada – tips?’ is closed to new replies.