Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • A wee snifter before a job interview?
  • jimmy

I have a job interview on Monday. History has shown I’m useless at interviews, I get tongue tied and stuttery and rapidly lose confidence. Which is often the case in some social situations…. unless I’m drinking, then its game on.

On this note, if you’ve watched One More Round there’s a bit in there where a kid can’t get through an oral exam for the same reason. The teacher gives him some vodka and guess what…  Its a film, yes, but it got me thinking.

So, 10am, a wee whisky chaser for my coffee? Anyone done similar ?

coconut
    Free Member

Spud… Trainspotting… ?

johndoh
    Free Member

Waits for the Trainspotting links…

LAT

have you seen trainspotting? a little dab of speed worked well for spud. though he didn’t want the job.

grahamt1980

Are you really going to want the risk of smelling of alcohol at that time in the morning for an interview?

Phil_H
    andybrad

Jesus christ no

dannybgoode

Try Rescue Remedy. May be placebo but helped me on a few occasions

jimmy

Are you really going to want the risk of smelling of alcohol at that time in the morning for an interview?

Can you share aromas on Zoom now? Dammit

nuke

I get your point but its a slippery slope….a little drop before the interview but then where does it stop? One on your first day to combat the nerves, before the big meeting etc etc. Got to be a better way to overcome nerves/anxiety although let me know if you find a solution 😩

argee

Unless the interview is taking place in Glasgow, i’d just do it sober!

jimmy

Try Rescue Remedy

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Its my brain that needs lubed up, not nerves as such.</span>

jimmy

@nuke it really is just interviews. Same company I work for, my ex boss who I get on well with. I just can’t talk about myself I suppose. Unless…

kennyp
    Free Member

Go for it. I can’t see any possible scenario where things could go wrong. However should, at any point, the interview be going badly then that joke about the Gypsy, the Jew and the gravy boat should lighten the mood.

A word of caution though. Given it’s a morning interview then do stick with white. A glass of red before lunch may be seen as rather gauche.

scuttler

In this context it’s called a ‘sharpener’ (not a snifter)

Urban Dictionary: Sharpener An alcoholic beverage used to enhance creativity and productivity

finephilly
    Free Member

That’s a really bad idea!
    You’re more likely to end up an alcoholic than get a job.
    Why are you nervous?
    Need to do more preparation, role too ambitious, high stakes, scared of failure.
    Identify the cause and tackle that – no booze required!

Also, the interviewer is probably nervous too, so you’re both in the same boat.

funkmasterp

Ignore the above and neck a can of Kestrel Super or Special Brew. If things start to go sideways then whip out the Thunderbird or 20/20. Trust me on this.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Just pretend youve just finished the night shift! 😉

pondo

Makes me feel ill to even think about it.

rogermoore

Worst that could happen is you not get the job, which could happen anyway – so why not. A strong, spicy Bloody Mary gets my vote.
    RM.
    <caveat> not if this for a bus driving job which includes a practical test!!

Kryton57
    frankconway

Don’t have one before you get there; take full hipflask with you and invite interviewer to join you in the proverbial sharpener before the interview proper starts.
    Guaranteed to get you a job offer.

cookeaa

If you’re going to prop up your performance with substances why stop at a the interview?

reeksy

I smoked a joint on the way to a University entrance interview … it was a bit strange. I thought it was just an open day for some reason, forgetting that this Uni claimed to interview every candidate! Turned up in the department and noticed i was the only one in Adidas Sambas and jeans. Private school kids in blazers etc. Then it dawned on me.

I remember sitting in the Prof’s office telling him all about what i’m reading at the moment and as I crossed my legs being acutely aware that we were both looking at my shoes.

I got the place though so maybe it worked… not sure i’d recommend it though.

cookeaa

In fact the more I think about it, the more it seems you should watch Airplane as prep for your interview rather than get slightly pissed

sillysilly
    Free Member

I sometimes take candidates to bar for final stage interviews. Let’s us get to know them for real after a few drinks, especially those that are talented but introverted and maybe don’t interview well. had co’s do this to me in the past too.

Don’t see the big deal if you can manage it (chewing gum), it doesn’t impair your performance and are not reliant on it going forward.

Obv not if interviewing as a surgeon / pilot. If you are applying for sales / account management at many CO’s it should basically be part of the job description.

reeksy

A night out on the beers with the MD, Sales Director and another brewery MD was part of the interview process with a brewery I nearly worked for 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Apparently, if you are a salesperson in South Korea you spend the day in the usual meetings then you go for after-work drinks and they will make sure everyone gets shitfaced. They want to see what you are like drunk to see if you are trustworthy. Our sales people get warned about this before doing business there and it apparently is the source of a fair bit of amusement.

RobHilton
    Free Member

it really is just interviews. Same company I work for, my ex boss who I get on well with. I just can’t talk about myself I suppose. Unless…

Unless… Bolivian marching powder – trust me on this.
    My flatmate loves a toot and he never stops talking about himself when he’s on the llello. Fascinating guy 🙄

TheFlyingOx

One drink, absolutely. Maybe 3/4 of a second. But NEVER finish that second drink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTSCppeFzX4

stingmered

If you are applying for sales / account management at many CO’s it should basically be part of the job description.

Lovely, actively filtering out a whole swathe of the population who don’t drink for medical, ethical, cultural, religious or other personal reasons, e.g. might be a reformed alcoholic. You’re actually really limiting your candidate pool and diversity of thinking there… trust me on this, I hire 50+ people a year and try my hardest to make sure we have a real cross section of people from different backgrounds. It makes for better team dynamics and productivity. Also work drinking culture, what is this, the nineties?

myti
    Free Member

Yeah i can appreciate how this could work. I find public speaking and things like interviews absolutely terrifying but am otherwise very competent and confident in my work. Those saying it’s a route to alcoholism…Jeez..

fazzini

Many many many years ago, having disastrously bombed my French A-level exams (far and away my best subject) I decided to have a pint before my German oral exam. Worked a treat…i spouted forth a fluent and passionate scenario and then passionately discussed at length the ‘merits’ of existentialism. Apparently it must have been OK as I found out afterwards I had impressed the examiner. Never done it since. Maybe that’s where I’m going wrong 🤔🤔🤔

qwerty
    Free Member

I think it’s a really bad idea for you to need to consume alcohol prior to a job interview. In order to improve your confidence I suggest you knobble the interviewer with a little LSD, this should place you in a much stronger position for your interview.

nickc

History has shown I’m useless at interviews, I get tongue tied and stuttery and rapidly lose confidence.

Just  be honest and tell them that you don’t perform your best at interviews. Interviews are weird anyway. The people doing to interview aren’t looking forward to it either, especially not over Zoom.

mert
    Free Member

I smoked a joint on the way to a University entrance interview … it was a bit strange. I thought it was just an open day for some reason, forgetting that this Uni claimed to interview every candidate! Turned up in the department and noticed i was the only one in Adidas Sambas and jeans. Private school kids in blazers etc. Then it dawned on me.

I turned up to one still drunk from the little “getting to know you” buffet the night before, which turned into leaving a nightclub at 2 am and then having to find our way to the hotel…

I got an unconditional offer. The guy interviewing looked in a worse state than i felt.

I went somewhere else though.

kimbers

A good tip for speaches, talks, interviews

Is to sit in front of a mirror and give your talk/ answer interview questions over & over whilst looking at yourself. It’s unpleasant and awkward but it helps when you come to do the real thing.

jonesyboy

Work drink culture, the job must be in government or the local conservatives surely?

hooli

A friend of mine had “a” drink to calm his nerves before an interview, turns out he fell asleep waiting for his interview and had to be woken up by the receptionist. Funny enough, he didn’t get the job!

jimmy

Just  be honest and tell them that you don’t perform your best at interviews.

A bit more disclosure. Its with my ex-boss – he moved departments, now recruiting. We get on and work well together. This will be the third interview I’ve had with him – first one – awful (got the job, he knew I was the best candidate and probably wangled it a bit), second one – for his job when he left, marginally better, didn’t get the job. Now this one. We both know my interview performance is poor and it adds to the tension. I do feel more emboldened either way to catch myself if its going poorly and just say “hold up, I’m doing it again, lets just take a moment…”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.