Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • A short, pithy, pot-motorway commute rant.
  • IHN

tHET’RE CALLED FOG LIGHTS NOT ‘A BIT OF LIGHT DRIZZLE LIGHTS YOU WAZZOCKS!

Thank you.

wwaswas

MONGTARDS!

You lost my sympathy with that.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

You should instruct them on how to drive their cars as well, you clearly know better.

what’s a pot-motorway?

scaredypants

splendid loss of control over caps lock and punctuation but subject matter rather basic and in too early with the playground jibes

FIVE !

davidjones15
    Free Member

I sometimes use my laptop on the desk. For this I apologise.

MartynS

but my Audi looks cool with the fogs on..

IHN

How do you know, you’re inside it.

And it was a Jag and a transit van.

Cougar

\o/

MartynS

because I’m so cool I just know..anyone driving around with fog lights on when its not foggy is clearly cool

IHN

It starts with ‘c’, it has four letters, but it’s not ‘cool’

IHN

And anyway, you’re a beemawanka.

samuri
    Free Member

The front fog lights are merely an annoyance when it’s not foggy.

The rear fog lights are positively dangerous because they look like brakes lights and they mask real brake lights.

No rear fog light ever looked cool. But lets not let looking cool (or not) get in the way of keeping people alive.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

they mask real brake lights.

No they don’t.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Fog lights don’t really bother me. I’ve got some on our Focus, but I only ever turn the front ones on when I need the rear on, because you can’t put the rear on without the front. As a means of lighting, they are aimed so low they are useless. They don’t dazzle anyone over 2 feet tall more than 8 feet away.

But the other day, I’m on the Scooter on my way to work, the roads are frosty (back lanes, 6 miles of) and I’m taking it easy, and this car comes flying up behind me with light on full beam. I can’t dip my mirrors and they are only 12 inches from my face, so I’m utterly dazzled. He doesn’t dip them. I wave frantically. Still not dipped. So I pull over and wave him past. Eejit. Maybe he didn’t realise he was on full beam?
    Then a couple of days later he does it again, but this time he dips the lights for an oncoming van and them puts them on again just to blind me. So I stop right in the middle of the road, forcing him to stop behind me (narrow road, no room) get off and march towards him shouting at him to dip his effing lights. He dips his effing lights. I give him the thumbs up and ride off. He kept a better distance too.
    Halfwit. 🙄

DezB
    Free Member

Thing is, why WHY WHY do people feel the need to use them when they aren’t needed? You can clearly see all the other cars without fog lights in the rain and yet “OOH, thereth that lickle button what I haffn’t prethed. I will preth it now tho that I am vithible in the wain. Goody goody”
    Absolute morons.

scaredypants

As a means of lighting, they are aimed so low they are useless. They don’t dazzle anyone over 2 feet tall more than 8 feet away.

They’re situated low to not reflect back up from fog, when there is some. They’re typically VERY badly aligned, so often point upwards, say a 4ft above ground, or where a driver’s head might be. This is quite possibly all done by half-blinded dwarves in the dead of night to protect themselves from further harm

By the time fog lights are actually necessary, any driver with even a tiny brain will be going so slow that a crash wouldn’t barely dent their bumpers

The high central brake lights are a massive improvement in safety IMO when dickheads are driving around with rear fogs on making it hard to distinguish “normal” brake lights.

(all cars should have mandatory fog light reset when the engine’s turned off)

IHN

Thing is, why WHY WHY do people feel the need to use them when they aren’t needed? You can clearly see all the other cars without fog lights in the rain and yet “OOH, thereth that lickle button what I haffn’t prethed. I will preth it now tho that I am vithible in the wain. Goody goody”
    Absolute morons.

This.

And it’s rear one’s that are the target of my ire. I honestly think that some people think it’s their ‘back lights’ button and they need to turn it on at the same time as their head- (or in their peanut-brains, ‘front’) lights.

I don’t care about front fogs, in fact they look quite cool 😉

Torminalis
    Free Member

You really are a bunch of old curmudgeons.

real_ben10
    Free Member

Nissan Juke – six bloomin headlights, the top two at eye level if you are in a normal car! And they ALWAYS have them all on!

pingu66
    Free Member

Anyone who drives with fog lights on when its not foggy is a twunt.

Its illegal, front are not so bad but rear dazzle other drivers behind. If you don’t know they are on RTFM or don’t drive as you clearly have no idea how to operate the 1 ton machine you are in charge of. FWIW there is a f£$%ing indicator light right in front of you telling you that they are on so pay attention to what your car is doing.

molgrips
    Free Member

all cars should have mandatory fog light reset when the engine’s turned off

My Prius has rear fogs on a timer on the basis that fog that dense is usually only for short periods down near water etc. I wasn’t sure about this but on the odd occasion I’ve needed them in 6 years of owning the car Toyota engineers have proved to be right.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Absolute morons.

No more moronic than going on and on and on and on and on about people who turn them on. 😛
    And:

They’re typically VERY badly aligned, so often point upwards

Simply untrue. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an upward pointing fog light. That’s just a massive exaggeration to make a feeble point.
    Personally, I neither use them (unless, as above, I need the rear on) or am bothered by those that do.
    How many of you moaners check your tyre pressures, oils, water, bulbs, washer fluid, clean your windows etc regularly? Or have considered some further training?
    Don’t lie now……. Get your own house in order first. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

How many of you moaners check your tyre pressures, oils, water, bulbs, washer fluid, clean your windows etc regularly?

Yes to all of those 🙂

1981miked
    Free Member

Pingu66.. Couldn’t agree more.

Peterpoddy.. I check all those things every week when I wash the car.. Bit OCD maybe but as I do daily checks on a works vehicle it is a bit second nature now, daily is a bit OTT that’s why I do it weekly.

And I drive an Audi..

However, just as bad is people driving in bad light, like when it is heavy rain or just before dawn/dusk with no lights on.

It isn’t about seeing… It is about being seen!

fuzzhead
    Free Member

LED running lights get my goat

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The rear fog lights are positively dangerous because they look like brakes lights

If you can’t work out the difference between the two, can I suggest you might be too thick to drive a car safely. 😉

wwaswas

Yes to all of those

only so you can force your wife to drive round for months with a slow puncture 😉

MadPierre

The official rules

Note rule 236

ebygomm
    Free Member

I can’t get annoyed about misuse of fog lights when I see idiots everyday driving round without lights at all during hours of darkness

globalti
    Free Member

It annoys the f*** out of me too but at least it livens up my boring commute home as I can have some fun flashing the fog-light muppets then blasting them with the horn as they pass me. Best of all is when I see one approaching from a long distance on a straight empty road; I can give ’em full beam for progressively longer flashes as they approach then a horn blast as they pass. Very childish but very satisfying.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes to all of those

I know YOU do.. You’re more anal than me! 😉

IHN

How many of you moaners check your tyre pressures, oils, water, bulbs, washer fluid, clean your windows etc regularly?

Every day. Sometimes I stop on a journey and check them again. In fact, I have a little spreadsheet where I note it all down.

samuri
    Free Member

No they don’t.

If you can’t work out the difference between the two, can I suggest you might be too thick to drive a car safely.

I think you both might be right. I mean to me, a bright red light light is a bright red light, especially at night. I’ll stop driving immediately.

Just for reference though, how do you tell the difference? I probably won’t be able to understand what you’re talking about because I’m not bright enough but if you can explain in very simple terms how a pair of bright lights, can easily be identified from another pair of identical bright lights I’d certainly appreciate it.

rogg
    Free Member

Those rules are actually a bit vaguer than I thought.
    Trouble is, most people seem to put their fog lights on without thinking why they’re doing it. They put them on because it looks a bit murky, not because if they worry that if they didn’t people would run into the back of them or pull out in front of them. If people really did think about that, they’d switch them off when they are stationary in traffic jam six inches away from each other. Likewise if visibility is 50m, and three cars are travelling in line with 10m between them, the first needs to have its front fogs on, the last needs to have its rear fogs on and the middle one doesn’t need anything at all .

cheers_drive

I have no issue with front fog lights but the rears can be annoying and do mask the main brake lights. Although not so much of a problem now with the central LED brake lights.
    The thing that really gets my goat a) is the amount of cars on the road with a light gone – fare enough that a rear light might be out for a few journeys before you notice but how can you not notice if it’s a headlight?! b) Xeon headlights, especially on 4x4s where the higher positioning makes them even more dazzling. I don’t know why they are legal.

antigee

did i read this bit correctly –

And it was a Jag and a transit van

2 vehicles is not the third circle – a few minor adjustments to crotch and/or other in car entertainment and you could have cruised by in ignorant bliss of the evil people

sbob
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

Simply untrue. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an upward pointing fog light. That’s just a massive exaggeration to make a feeble point.
    Personally, I neither use them (unless, as above, I need the rear on) or am bothered by those that do.
    How many of you moaners check your tyre pressures, oils, water, bulbs, washer fluid, clean your windows etc regularly? Or have considered some further training?

It’s rare but I was dazzled by some moron using sidelights and fogs in the rain the other day (at night).

Tyre pressures: weekly.
    Oils: weekly.
    Bulbs: every journey.
    Washer fluid: constantly topped up.
    Windows: always clean, inside and out.
    Further training: Lots, but still improving.

andrewh
    Free Member

No they don’t.

No they don’t mask them.
    They do however look like them and can be mistaken for them (had a very near accident on the M3 as a result of middle-lane hogger driving at about 60mph with his on, caused absolute chaos behind him)
    Good idea from the times letters page, link foglights to a speed limiter set to 20mph. If it’s foggy enough to need fog lights 20mph is plenty fast enough!

nealglover
    Free Member

It does seem that a lot of the annoyance people feel from the “misuse” of fog lights is caused simply because the other driver is “Doing it WRONG !”

Not by any real tangible problem caused by the fog lights being on.

If the fog lights are causing any Actual Visibility issues I would suggest :

1: Degrease your windows properly (not “Halfords” window spray and a mucky cloth)
    2: Clean and polish the glass inside.
    3: Clean and polish the glass outside
    4: Apply some glass protection (Rain-X is ok – TRIBOS is better)
    5: Get new wiper blades.

(6: maybe clean your glasses if you wear them ?!)

samuri
    Free Member

And it’s actually illegal but lets ignore that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘A short, pithy, pot-motorway commute rant.’ is closed to new replies.