Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • a jack of all trades.
  • ton

in the market for a new bike. but stuck with idea’s.
    as a bloke who as owned nearly every type of bike from most brands, god knows why I cant decide what to get.

so, looking for a jack of all trades really.
    something I can ride around easier stuff in the lakes/dales/moors, and with a change of tyres, I can ride a weeks touring on the road.

dont want a gravel bike, tried one, didn’t like it. got a tourer, selling a adventure bike, dont want full sus, want some suspension up front, needs to take a rack and needs to be 29/700c

idea’s greatly appreciated.

might add, I have probably owned a bike I now need, many times over.

Bez

So not a gravel bike, not a tourer, not an “adventure bike” (no idea what one is), because you’ve had one in each pigeonhole and that means all the others are equally unsuitable? 😉

Anyway, isn’t the standard “one bike for everything” going to be a Surly of some description? Or in this case quite possibly a German trekking bike.

kayak23

Thought it was an Ebike? Or was that last week?

flange
    Free Member

I’ve just built up a Sonder frontier with Jones bars for something similar. Love it, super comfy, fits me well and my back and neck don’t ache like a bastard afterwards. My brother has just done the french divide on the same frame but running it rigid. He too loves it

tomhoward

Custom steel hardtail. Speak to the builder to get what you want.

funkmasterp

Krampus?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Full suspension fat bike?

NormalMan

Karate Monkey?

big_scot_nanny

Would it be rude to suggest a Chumba HX2 29er hardtail, with matching 100mm manitou forks? Just so happens I still have that downstairs… 🙂

In seriousness – gotta be a nice steel 29er HT, or get some custom Chi Ti exactly to your needs, like wot I did.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Custom steel hardtail. Speak to the builder to get what you want.

That’s no good to Ton, he’ll only keep it 6 months. 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

Get a hardtail ebike, don’t even need to change the tyres, cruising!

TiRed

Lauf True Grit. Might not take a rack or guards though.

Houns

Fargo.
    Ti Fargo
    Something custom from Shand

joebristol

Something steel or ti with a bit of flex in the back and a short ish travel fork – maybe 120mm ish. Probably 29er.

Not the kind of bike I can get excited about so I don’t have any specific suggestions!

moonsaballoon

big brother big bro ? they are  sold with rigid forks but if you can whack a suspension fork in it might fit the bill.

vondally
    Free Member

Stooge …. However won’t fit, however might be worth chatting to Andy who is great.

Why it is just a bike, bloody brilliant at being a bmx on a trail centre or ambling along on schwable supermoto tyres on the road. The angles and geomtey are great.

Sonder ti is also very nice, rode one in the lakes and it does incredible well.

ton

not an “adventure bike” (no idea what one is),

surly ecr mate.

going to be a Surly of some description?

had a karate monkey, a ogre, and a ecr.

oh, and a fargo.

That’s no good to Ton, he’ll only keep it 6 months. 😉

beacause the only useful thing you can do with money is spend it.

Kryton57
    ceept

When I can afford it, I’m going to visit Shand for the same thing.

damascus
    Free Member

As a 6ft3 gent and loyal customer of tons hand me downs I’m encouraging him to buy a new bike. 😁🚲

The most important question is, what are you selling to make way for the new bike?

Bez

had a karate monkey, a ogre, and a ecr.

oh, and a fargo.

Didn’t you have a Disc Trucker as well? 🙂

ton

The most important question is, what are you selling to make way for the new bike?

what are you looking for?

ton

Didn’t you have a Disc Trucker as well? 🙂

had a 58, had a 60, had a 64, got a 62.

roverpig

I’ve got an Ice Cream Truck frame in the shed if you want to complete the set 🙂

ton

roverpig, wife has a troll and a straggler too…….. ;o)

Bez

got a 62

Hey… bike buddies 😀

I hope yours isn’t a nice colour, I’ll be jealous. Mine’s dark red, it’s a bit meh.

nuke

Sonder Broken Road…good enough for richpips & son on Tour Divide 👍 …is a case of recommending what id like although id settle for Signal Ti

scotroutes

Sam has a new Swift in the pipeline.

Andy

Demo’d a Broken Road yet Tony? Sturdy end of the Ti spectrum.

Oh and as I said, go ahead and sell the ECR, whichever you go for, and buy another in 6 months 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

god knows why I cant decide what to get.

rOcKeTdOg

IMG_20190806_144701_171

PJay
    Free Member

One of the new Swifts when/if they arrive (originally due in Spring); Sam’s currently doing titanium Pegasus & Gryphon frames too.

I’ve no idea if it’s any good, but I like the look of the Trek 1120; it’s available reasonably priced as a frame only option if you wanted to build up something with suspension.

kerley
    Free Member

Sounds like whatever you get you will not want after a few months. Maybe try a but of Buddhism to find true contentment rather than trying to find it in a bike or just accept that each bike will only be around for a short time so don’t fret about it and just toss a coin.

Klunk
    Free Member

one road bike one off road bike.

Bez

As a serial bike buyer myself (though not quite on the same level) I would say that if you haven’t already started doing the riding you want to do with a bike you already have, then it’s rare that a new bike will inspire you to do that riding.

And if you have started doing the riding you want to do with a bike you already have, then you’ll know what boxes the new bike needs to tick to make that riding better.

Given that you’ve already owned numerous bikes that fulfil your brief, I’m sceptical that another one will bring satisfaction.

Is the Ogre for sale? 🙂

ton

As a serial bike buyer myself (though not quite on the same level) I would say that if you haven’t already started doing the riding you want to do with a bike you already have, then it’s rare that a new bike will inspire you to do that riding.

I have started doing the riding I wanted on the bikes I don’t want.
    I rode the jenn ride on the ecr, I was shaken to death. I put panniers on it and did a weeks road tour on it, it was like riding a wooden horse.

the gravel bike I bought was bought as a bit of a test as a one bike thing. it proved wrong. it was ok on road, but pretty rubbish off.

Given that you’ve already owned numerous bikes that fulfil your brief, I’m sceptical that another one will bring satisfaction.

but searching for the holey grail is fun mate.

coppice
    Free Member

I’ve got a Niner Jet 9 that in theory ticks a lot of your boxes, realistically it’s my least ridden bike as it’s just a bit dull. I should really dig it out and give it another go though.

You could do to break down what you want a bit, so far:
    it sounds like a 29er.
    You’ve said hardtail
    Probably wants to take a 2x or 3x which restricts to not a plus rear.
    Do you prefer drop bars or flat/loop bars?
    Material: probably not aluminium or carbon so steel or Ti?
    Cotic Solaris or equivalent Stanton for flat/loop bar options.
    How about a soft tail? Not very popular for a reason though.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

but searching for the holey grail is fun mate.

I know it keeps you happy Tony, which is the main thing.
    I bet your lass shakes her head & rolls her eyes a lot. I’m gonna ask her next time I see her. 🙂

oddnumber
    Free Member

Apropos of nothing, but that Shand is lovely @rOcKeTdOg.

tinribz
    Free Member

Ribble appear to be pushing the boat out this year:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-hybrid-trail-al/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘a jack of all trades.’ is closed to new replies.