• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by 2bit.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • A good book,,,,,,
  • xterramac
    Free Member

What books have you read recently, that you would recommend the endurance enthusiast, e.g. cycling, climbing or general adventuring?
    Cheers

agent007
    Free Member

Just finished ‘Psycho Vertical’ by Andy Kirkpatrick. Very good read, very well written, hilarious in places and has inspired me to get out and do a bit more climbing this summer.

‘Into the Wild’ was also an interesting book although rather a hard read in places because of the way it’s written – just didn’t seem to flow that well.

beefheart
    Free Member

+1 Psycho Vertical
    Berserk in the Antarctic
    The Bone Man of Benares
    Touching the Void

Just about to start Wiggo’s autobiography.

turtleheading
    Free Member

Game of Thrones 🙂

mogrim

Born to Run – ultramarathons. Definitely endurance based sport 🙂

camo16
    Free Member

If you haven’t read Alasdair Fotheringham’s “The Eagle of Toledo: The Life and Times of Federico Bahamontes – The Tour’s Greatest Climber”, you really should.

IMO it’s one of the most interesting cycling/tour hero books out there.

wonnyj
    Free Member

For endurance reading I’m been working my way through the Rebus series.

Cycling wise, Tyler Hamilton’s book is impressive (on endurance and doping), but also some of the older books by Tommy Simpson or even Paul Kimmage (Rough Ride) are interesting from an endurance point of view.

Harry_the_Spider

Spanish Steps by Tim Moore.

iwluap

Endurance in the terms of having to endure what sounds like an unbelievably harsh, physically demanding life for 5 years, allied to a great “boys own” true story, I can highly recommend “Legionnaire” by Simon Murray. An excellent page-turner of a read with an epilogue that sent shivers down my spine

xc-steve
    Free Member

I quite enjoyed

Mark Cav’s – Boy Racer
    David Millars – Racing through the Dark
    John Metcalfe – Dividing the Great

All are generally about other topics but have a couple good sections of their accounts of going through hell on a bike.

spchantler
    Free Member

annapurna, maurice herzog

martinhutch

For the true endurance enthusiast, how about ‘The Endurance’ by Caroline Alexander, the story of Shackleton’s expedition to the Antarctic, which turned into a a bit of an epic…

On a related note, I’ve got a compilation of excerpts from mountaineering books called ‘Epic’ by Clint Willis which is a great read.

Pyro

Feet in the Clouds – fell running history and the Bob Graham Round.

Pyro

Oh, and The Ascent of Rum Doodle. Classic mountaineering literature.

dannybgoode

I’m assuming you’ve read Tim Krabbe’s The Rider?

David Barter’s Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder is also good and Graeme Obree’s Autobiography is a fantastic read also…

Cheers

Danny B

zippykona

Just started There And Back Again by Ben Rockett. Its about his lejogle ride.

avdave2

The Worst Journey In The World.

nedrapier

Psycho Vertical fans should know AP’s second book, “Cold Wars”, is just as good, if not better.

toys19
    Free Member

The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan.
    Well written, entertaining, full of ammo for life and would help a few on here sort their shit out.

crikey
    Free Member

A Dog in a Hat

2bit

The Terror by Dan Simmons

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘A good book,,,,,,’ is closed to new replies.