Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • a £70 upgrade….what would you do?
  • indiajazz
    Free Member

im thinking of a thompson seat post,ive got a cotic soul, deore but xt shifters throughout,is there any thing you d guys would improve before a seat post…i do love the look and reviews of them thats the problem!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

A typing course? 😉

MRanger156
    Free Member

New Bars or new clothes. Sure people will say im wrong but for me a seatpost is a seatpost and unless its really heavy I would just leave it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

For £70 I’d just make sure the drivetrain was in top nick, new cables, cassette, chain etc, or get a used Chris King headset.
    Stuff that makes a difference to performance or longevity rather then just a more expensive alloy tube to bolt the saddle to….

🙂

spock
    Free Member

a pair of good tyres

Taff
    Free Member

XT rear mech and a new chain [depending when the last one was changed]

firestarter
    Free Member

A skills course, best upgrade I’ve ever bought

geetee1972
    Free Member

For £70 the biggest single improvement to performance you could make is tyres, especially on a hard tail.

After that I’d change the handlebars and then the stem, depending on what you’re currently running.

Short stem and wide bars will radically change your riding position and likely add a good 20% to your downhill speed, if that’s what you’d like to achieve.

Short stem/wide bars won’t help you out if what you want though is to go uphill and along smooth fire roads faster.

the-muffin-man

A Thomson seatpost offers no improvement other than aesthetic. And they’re not particularly light. They are strong though and they do keep their looks, but then so do FSA ones which are a fair bit cheaper.

If you want to lose weight go for KCNC scandium.

indiajazz
    Free Member

these are all good ,thanks!

LoCo
    Free Member

Suspension service 😯

indiajazz
    Free Member

ive got a short stem a wide bars but what tyres would you recommend?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Suspension service

Yeah TFTuned are good for that….. 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Forest Freeride, a whole day of coaching

tovey
    Free Member

Let be realistic. Even if you were to spend £150 on a seat post the best you’re going to do is save about 100g. say your bike weighs 13kg and you weigh 75 kg then the ammount from the total is about 0.11%. it won’t make the slightest difference to how you’re bike performs or how well you can ride it. Spend the money on a few uplift days and get some practice in and you’ll ride a whole lot better and the excitement from the purchase will last you a lot lot longer.

LoCo
    Free Member

😆 @ poddy wouldn’t get a service for £70 would you though 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

ive got a short stem a wide bars but what tyres would you recommend?

Where are you riding and what type of riding are you doing? Also how short is the stem, how wide are the bars, what size Cotic do you have and how tall are you?

Please also confirm your bank details including sort code, account number and passwords etc….

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Thomson posts are very stiff too, probably not what you want on a hardtail.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

@ poddy wouldn’t get a service for £70 would you though

No, true, I wonder who could do it cheaper? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 🙄

wwaswas

Maybe save up a bit and get a Van Nic Ti post – makes a big difference on a hardtail – as above, Thomson are strong and pretty but not particularly ‘springy’.

Moots Ti posts photograph well too.

cinnamon_girl

Carbon bar cos it reduces trail buzz. Most important with girlie hands. 🙂

Lighter tyres too.

Mister-P
    Free Member

£70 worth of thermal tops and gloves.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Carbon bar cos it reduces trail buzz

Nahh, carbon’s a waste of money. Soot and plastic and marketing, nowt more… 😉 :mrgreen:

chiefgrooveguru

Skills course. Or a copy of Mastering Mountain Bike Skills, v2 and some nice tyres (depending on what you already have).

amedias
    Free Member

put it towards a trip somewhere you haven’t ridden before?
    petrol money or overnight stop…

OR

if you’re hell-bent on doing something to the bike (which i can totally understand) then rather than looking for things that fit your budget why not decide what aspect of you bike think needs improvement and then see if there is something you can do within budget.

Tyres are always a goodun but if you have good treads already then no need, focus on something you feel is lacking or not working as well as it could.

LoCo
    Free Member

skills day with Jedi or new tyres

iain1775
    Free Member

second hand XT chainset and green Hope Seat QR
    not sure where you would get them for £70 from though… 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Would you rather spend £70 on:

a) Make your bike 40g lighter
    b) In just one day being able to jump drop-offs that scare you now.

??

curlie467
    Free Member

I would agree with going on a skills course, it is definitely something i will be looking to do as i regularly feel that i will crash and die on even the smallest drop off!

takisawa2

Kenda SmallBlock 8’s, & somewhere to put them till April.

5lab

second hand dropper seatpost?

crazymoon
    Free Member

i had the same problem and opted for some wider bars, raceface atlas. but then i already have the thomson post.

Maxxis ardent tyres are great alrounders. just change the front for something grippy in this weather.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

New Tyres. Then the following………….

1) drivetrain service
    2) sort ot bike fit, either making it more/less gnarr
    3) singlespeed (good for fitness as you cant wuss out into an easy gear, good for skills as braking for corners means a lot of pedaling out of them and thats if you can pedal, if you want to go quick its a qick way of teaching you how to pump and maintain speed, good for the wallet as drivetrains last and last!)
    4) suspension service
    5) skills course (can be substituted for an enthusiastic Canadian guy shouting “speed it your friend” “dont go over the bars on this next bit” IME )

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

+1 for a skills course…assuming you’re not already a riding God, of course.

Other than that, use it to cover costs for a day out riding to somewhere you’ve never been before.

CashCowell
    Free Member

Personally a Thompson seatpost is one of the first things I put on every bike I own. It’s an essential IMO.

spock
    Free Member

Maxxis ADvantage 2.1″ eXception, light, roll quick, grip well and quite tough. You can pick them up about £22 each end. could get a Kenda Small block eight too and put it on the back in the summer. Great tyres for the whole year

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Personally a Thompson seatpost is one of the first things I put on every bike I own. It’s an essential IMO

Please tell me what it does better than my Control Tech other than cost more, weigh more and (alledgedly) look better? 🙂

It’s no more essential than any other seatpost.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hold onto the money until you know what you want to spend it on.

oxym0r0n

For a start, buy it from Merlin and save yourself £18!

CashCowell
    Free Member

PP I just love them. What else would go with the (other essential) Thomson stem? Might consider a dropper style post on my next bike, but personally I think if you can ride a bike well you don’t really need one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘a £70 upgrade….what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.